Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-14-2014, 04:27 PM - 1 Like   #3316
Veteran Member
wuzet's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Rzeszow / Maidstone
Posts: 447
Pentax 645n, SMC 645 A 75/2.8, Fuji Acros 100, Pyrocat HD








10-14-2014, 04:59 PM   #3317
Veteran Member
MD Optofonik's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: California
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 901
#3 is my fav. Nice work.
10-14-2014, 05:44 PM   #3318
Veteran Member
wuzet's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Rzeszow / Maidstone
Posts: 447
thanks
10-14-2014, 07:26 PM - 1 Like   #3319
Forum Member




Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 89


Pentax KM body
Pentax SMC 50mm f/2.0 lens
Arista film (same as Kodak Tri-X)
and an exquisite model!


Last edited by Schmidt; 10-14-2014 at 07:32 PM.
10-15-2014, 12:45 AM   #3320
Veteran Member
Cuthbert's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2013
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,573
QuoteOriginally posted by Schmidt Quote

Pentax KM body
Pentax SMC 50mm f/2.0 lens
Arista film (same as Kodak Tri-X)
and an exquisite model!
Cats and women are the best models a photographer can get.
10-15-2014, 04:52 AM   #3321
Veteran Member
revdocjim's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Mt. Akagi, Gunma Prefecture
Posts: 374
QuoteOriginally posted by Schmidt Quote

Pentax KM body
Pentax SMC 50mm f/2.0 lens
Arista film (same as Kodak Tri-X)
and an exquisite model!
Which Arista film is the same as Kodak Tri-X???
10-15-2014, 05:43 AM   #3322
Forum Member




Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 89
Arista Premium 400 ... Type that into Google and you should get dozens of people claiming it's just rebranded Tri-X 400. That's what the guy at the camera shop told me too, but I'm new enough to the world of film to not know any better. But to my eyes, the two bear a striking resemblance when scanned.
10-15-2014, 06:15 AM   #3323
Site Supporter
k0og's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Rolla, Missouri
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 648
QuoteOriginally posted by Schmidt Quote
Arista Premium 400 ... Type that into Google and you should get dozens of people claiming it's just rebranded Tri-X 400. That's what the guy at the camera shop told me too, but I'm new enough to the world of film to not know any better. But to my eyes, the two bear a striking resemblance when scanned.
My 100-foot reel of Arista Premium 400 actually SAYS "Kodak 400TX" along the edge after development. Yep, it's Tri-X! Unfortunately it will soon be no longer available from Freestyle (http://freestylephoto.biz).

Here is a picture of a frame showing the label:


Here is the scanned image cross-posted from the "Film Processing, Scanning, and Darkroom" thread:
Morning aftermath from Thanksgiving dinner.
Pentax K1000, Vivitar-A 19mm f3.8, Kodak Tri-X, pushed to ISO1600,
Rodinal 1+100, 90 minutes semi-stand, negative scanned with Epson V500.


-Joe-


Last edited by k0og; 10-15-2014 at 06:20 AM.
10-15-2014, 08:13 AM   #3324
Forum Member




Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 89
QuoteOriginally posted by k0og Quote
My 100-foot reel of Arista Premium 400 actually SAYS "Kodak 400TX" along the edge after development. Yep, it's Tri-X! Unfortunately it will soon be no longer available from Freestyle (http://freestylephoto.biz).

Here is a picture of a frame showing the label:


Here is the scanned image cross-posted from the "Film Processing, Scanning, and Darkroom" thread:
Morning aftermath from Thanksgiving dinner.
Pentax K1000, Vivitar-A 19mm f3.8, Kodak Tri-X, pushed to ISO1600,
Rodinal 1+100, 90 minutes semi-stand, negative scanned with Epson V500.


-Joe-
Incidentally, I think your scan looks great. In fact, it's much better than the so-called "hi-res consumer-grade" scans I got done professionally.
10-15-2014, 11:03 AM   #3325
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Seattle
Posts: 7,103
QuoteOriginally posted by Schmidt Quote
... In fact, it's much better than the so-called "hi-res consumer-grade" scans I got done professionally.
I think the key word there is "consumer". Their goal is to spend as little time as possible on your photos. Color negatives can benefit from good lab scans since presumably they have good profiles for the film. Whereas BW is more personal taste and no one is going to adjust the contrast curve to your liking better than yourself.
10-15-2014, 03:59 PM   #3326
Veteran Member
Cuthbert's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2013
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,573
I found out an old roll I shot this spring at Warwick Castle using my Nikon FM, the 50 mm Nikkor pre-AI and of course BW400CN:


















Some good pictures and not good pictures as well, in any case much sharper and contrasty than my rangefinder pics.

Last edited by Cuthbert; 10-15-2014 at 04:14 PM.
10-15-2014, 09:08 PM   #3327
Site Supporter
gofour3's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Posts: 5,342
QuoteOriginally posted by Cuthbert Quote
I found out an old roll I shot this spring at Warwick Castle using my Nikon FM, the 50 mm Nikkor pre-AI and of course BW400CN:

Some good pictures and not good pictures as well, in any case much sharper and contrasty than my rangefinder pics.
Nice set, like the second one of the church and grave marker.

Phil.
10-15-2014, 09:53 PM   #3328
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Seattle
Posts: 7,103
QuoteOriginally posted by Cuthbert Quote

in any case much sharper and contrasty than my rangefinder pics.
And the exposures are more consistent too. That rangefinder was all over the place. If your meter in that RF is like the meter in my RF, than it is more of a spot meter. Mine does not take the whole scene into account. Only a small area at some hot spot in the view finder.
10-16-2014, 12:45 AM   #3329
Veteran Member
Cuthbert's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2013
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,573
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
And the exposures are more consistent too. That rangefinder was all over the place. If your meter in that RF is like the meter in my RF, than it is more of a spot meter. Mine does not take the whole scene into account. Only a small area at some hot spot in the view finder.
Soviet rangefinders don't have a meter...at all. I've done everything with the sunny 16 rule, so I assume from that point of view it's my fault.

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
Nice set, like the second one of the church and grave marker.

Phil.
Yeah the tilted tombstone was a nice touch, in England they have a lot of "nice" graveyards, you can see why Gothic literature has been invented here.
10-16-2014, 05:44 AM   #3330
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Seattle
Posts: 7,103
QuoteOriginally posted by Cuthbert Quote
Soviet rangefinders don't have a meter...at all. I've done everything with the sunny 16 rule, so I assume from that point of view it's my fault.
Okay, I see. I adjust my Sunny 16 to Sunny 11 a lot. Mostly due to my high latitude and secondly commodity scanners seem to not reach into the blacks as well as with wet printing. They just kind of fall off real fast. So by giving my shadows more exposure it gives me more latitude in the image editor to make adjustments. I don't worry about the high values since I shoot 400TMY at EI 50 and EI100 to compress my highlights and I seem to get all of those in on a sunny day with no problem.

Also when I use a one-degree spot meter I place my shadows 3 stops below the middle gray. I've measured shadows and find the Sunny 16 rule places them 4 to 5 stops below the middle gray depending on surface ( eg grass vs concrete ). And that is too deep for me for the reasons given above.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
autofocus, camera, d-76, dog, doubt, exposure, film, flickr, fp4, kiev, leak, lens, love, mine, minutes, nikkormat, pentax, phil, photography, pm, post, quality, roll, shot, shots, smc, sp500, station, steve, thanks
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Travel Some B&W film shots from the Gulf of Gaeta, Italy Rense Post Your Photos! 3 04-23-2011 12:22 AM
First post - few b&w shots sealisthenewbeaver Photo Critique 2 09-22-2008 06:40 PM
My Pentax shots in print & film. blwnhr Photographic Technique 5 03-18-2008 05:13 PM
First shots with a zx-5 film camera (c&c welcome) jbrowning Post Your Photos! 2 12-23-2007 08:18 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:01 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top