Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-12-2015, 01:43 AM   #3916
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by manntax Quote
Thank you ! And no - the Zenit camera is my son's who will get his first proper film camera at 5 years old this Summer. The shots were all taken with Spotmatic F.

(BTW. believe or not but the Zenit from photo IS actually working, even light meter is working - but I never liked this EM , and much more preferred the 12 XP version which I still have in perfect working condition .)
Yes I agree, the 12XP is probably the best "traditional" Zenit in terms of usability, Zenit 19 notwithstanding of course.

05-12-2015, 04:44 AM   #3917
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Cuthbert Quote
Yes I agree, the 12XP is probably the best "traditional" Zenit in terms of usability, Zenit 19 notwithstanding of course.
Definitely rock solid camera and with pretty good accuracy of both the meter and shutter. I remember once (back in winter '98 ) I've run out of the batteries and was guesstimating my exposure (tricky winter snowy mountain / forest landscape conditions ) and the photos came back perfectly exposed. That roll of Kodak Gold is still to date among my best rolls ever...

Anyway this Spotmatic F is obviously another league , with ex++ built quality and accuracy both meter and focusing (although I miss the split screen at times). I am very happy with the shots I got with it from this TMax roll - here are two last which I am allowed to share :P
Attached Images

Last edited by manntax; 05-20-2015 at 12:21 AM.
05-12-2015, 11:55 PM   #3918
Veteran Member

Two more shots xposted from BW thread, portraits of my son and my wife this time with HP5+ from that recent shoot-out with Spotmatic F... very capable camera, and wide open metering is a blessing compared to Spotmatic - only annoyance is the fact that one needs to keep the cap on, otherwise the batteries are drained.
05-13-2015, 03:15 AM   #3919
Veteran Member

ME Super, SMC M 35/2, Kodak Tri-X, Pyrocat HD

05-13-2015, 03:58 AM - 1 Like   #3920
Pentaxian

Pentax KX+Voigt nokton 58/1.4 SLII with HP5+

Last edited by vinceloc; 05-13-2015 at 04:08 AM.
05-13-2015, 12:10 PM   #3921
Veteran Member

cross post from my Singles in post. photos from my first roll of Fuji acros 100. All taken with my Super Program and M 50mm F1.4 (unfiltered).

And a shot from a roll of Ilford Delta 100 I ran through my Mamiya C33

05-13-2015, 03:12 PM   #3922
Veteran Member

Definitely rock solid camera and with pretty good accuracy of both the meter and shutter. I remember once (back in winter '98 ) I've run out of the batteries and was guesstimating my exposure (tricky winter snowy mountain / forest landscape conditions ) and the photos came back perfectly exposed. That roll of Kodak Gold is still to date among my best rolls ever...

Anyway this Spotmatic F is obviously another league , with ex++ built quality and accuracy both meter and focusing (although I miss the split screen at times). I am very happy with the shots I got with it from this TMax roll - here are two last which I am allowed to share :P
Yes the SPF is probably the best M42 body around, even if some Fujica STs (705 and 801) can contend the crown: they also allow open lens metering but unlike the F you can use all the lenses you want, it was a sad day when I discovered that I couldn't use the remarkable Helios 44m-4 on that camera and I destroyed the pin in the process.

The third family of M42 cameras that allow open metering are the high end Prakticas (LLC, PLC, VLC...) with electric Pancolars and Prakticon, I'm curious to try one one of these days...however let's post pics:

K2DMD, K50 mm f1.4, Neopan 400 and yellow filter in a cold winter morning:

No post processing...sharp isn't it?
05-13-2015, 03:18 PM   #3923

Canon Eos 300
Kodak Tri-Max 400
Self developed for the first time!

05-13-2015, 11:06 PM   #3924
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Two more shots xposted from BW thread, portraits of my son and my wife this time with HP5+ from that recent shoot-out with Spotmatic F... very capable camera, and wide open metering is a blessing compared to Spotmatic - only annoyance is the fact that one needs to keep the cap on, otherwise the batteries are drained.
The one of your wife is superb, a real keeper.
05-14-2015, 11:32 AM   #3925
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mr Bassie Quote
The infamous sprocket rocket shoots the old mulberry tree at Lewis Ginter Botanical Garden
Are you shooting 35mm in a 127 camera?

Steve
05-14-2015, 02:03 PM   #3926
Veteran Member

Yes the SPF is probably the best M42 body around, even if some Fujica STs (705 and 801) can contend the crown: they also allow open lens metering but unlike the F you can use all the lenses you want, it was a sad day when I discovered that I couldn't use the remarkable Helios 44m-4 on that camera and I destroyed the pin in the process. The third family of M42 cameras that allow open metering are the high end Prakticas (LLC, PLC, VLC...) with electric Pancolars and Prakticon, I'm curious to try one one of these days...however let's post pics: K2DMD, K50 mm f1.4, Neopan 400 and yellow filter in a cold winter morning:
Although I do own some Zeiss glass ( the trio pan, flek and sonnar ) but I am yet to try and shoot with one of their original cameras. These practicas seems to be so crude compared to pentax cameras. I am not familiar but I hear some are very reliable indeed , especially the accuracy of shutter (metal blades ) after all these years is better than cloth based pentax shutters. One camera I am yet to try for M42 glass and is really tempting me is one of these Chinon memotrons - they seems extremely capable on paper - I am 1/2000 s shutter is something !

QuoteOriginally posted by UgurUgurlu Quote
Canon Eos 300 Kodak Tri-Max 400 Self developed for the first time!
Amazing results - I can see the dust problem got to you though - well done !!

QuoteOriginally posted by arnold Quote
The one of your wife is superb, a real keeper.
Thank you for the kind words much appreciated . I also like this one a lot XD
05-14-2015, 02:31 PM   #3927
Veteran Member

Although I do own some Zeiss glass ( the trio pan, flek and sonnar ) but I am yet to try and shoot with one of their original cameras. These practicas seems to be so crude compared to pentax cameras. I am not familiar but I hear some are very reliable indeed , especially the accuracy of shutter (metal blades ) after all these years is better than cloth based pentax shutters. One camera I am yet to try for M42 glass and is really tempting me is one of these Chinon memotrons - they seems extremely capable on paper - I am 1/2000 s shutter is something !
I don't want to spam this thread with other images than our cameras, however look at here what I received today for 30:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/8-pentax-film-slr-discussion/217364-gear-...u-got-191.html

This weekend she'll receive a roll of XP2 and I'm gonna post the results here...the first impression is that it's a sort of K1000, not up to Pentax building standards but solid enough, the only cheap parts are those made of plastic (DOF/lightmeter button in particular), the metal feels good, the screen is VERY peculiar (45 degrees split image with inside "bar" plus prisms, I've seen something similar on a old Rollei), the viewfinder a little dim compared to the best Japanese competition, the leds inside are even too strong and I notice a certain delay (read inflated CdS lecture) in their response to go down, but perhaps it's the battery (I haven't found the PX28 so I put inside 5 LR44). The shutter is strong and loud, it requires to press the DOF lever with the index and the shutter release with the middle finger (a little awkward at the beginning, but not impossible), the advance lever feels good, the lens looks promising...let's see, if I'm satisfied I'll try to get a high range Praktica, the MTL was their economy line.

Now, to beg for the pardon of the readers, I post this nice shot, LX + 85 mm f2.0 + Y2 + XP2 + Mustang:

05-14-2015, 02:39 PM   #3928

Amazing results - I can see the dust problem got to you though - well done !!
Thanks! Dust isn't an easy problem to solve.
05-14-2015, 03:10 PM   #3929
Pentaxian

Ansel Adams employed someone whose job was to dust-spot his prints...
05-14-2015, 03:31 PM - 2 Likes   #3930
Veteran Member

I don't want to spam this thread with other images than our cameras, however look at here what I received today for 30:
Looks cool! the lens alone would tempt me although I got its bigger brother anyway. Post some results soon

Yeah I can imagine - I got not once nor twice dusty negatives even from so-called 'pros' :P ... but but that is why I apologise for omitting the 'nevertheless' after that well done in my last post

Anyway just to keep the post meaningful - here are two shots , one is from Kodak 400 ( I think TMax) misfired my Olympus 35RC while getting ready to take a shot, I didn't get the shot but I got this one and somehow I like it - probably more than the originally meant-to-be shot I would

And second is from a curiosity , an Ilford Surveilance film, used for speed cameras and CCtv - I had them bulk loaded , and I have to say the results came impressive - here is one shot of my son, soon after I got new-to-me SMC A 50mm f1.2 - the aperture is unknown but the camera was my Z1p .
Attached Images