Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-18-2012, 08:38 AM   #391
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Thanks - I've accumulated a nice Kiev kit - J-8m, and '57 J-12 and J-9, plus a Canon multi-focal aux finder. The kit as my mflenses friends say is fully as good as the original Contax, and I believe it. Within the RF format, I don't think one can do much better, especially for the price.

02-18-2012, 11:01 AM   #392
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Vendee Quote
I put mine on ebay last Sunday and on Monday I withdrew it from auction. Couldn't go through with it

I guess I'll just keep it and use it once in a while when the mood takes me.
Yeah...it is the kind of thing that if you have a good copy and it works, it just does not make sense to get rid of it. Finding another might not be easy!

Steve
02-18-2012, 11:03 AM   #393
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
Thanks - I've accumulated a nice Kiev kit - J-8m, and '57 J-12 and J-9, plus a Canon multi-focal aux finder. The kit as my mflenses friends say is fully as good as the original Contax, and I believe it. Within the RF format, I don't think one can do much better, especially for the price.

Yep...I may yet cave and get a J-9 for the Kiev. I makes a lot more sense for that camera than the J-9 in LTM.

Steve
02-18-2012, 12:03 PM   #394
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Yeah...it is the kind of thing that if you have a good copy and it works, it just does not make sense to get rid of it. Finding another might not be easy!

Steve
The thing is, I like street photography and I find it too slow to use. By the time I've metered and faffed around with the rangefinder focusing.... the shots gone. That's not to say the camera is at fault in that respect. Henri Cartier-Bresson managed to take one or two good street shots with an unmetered rangefinder

02-18-2012, 03:03 PM   #395
Pentaxian

Pentax LX, Fuji Neopan 1600, commercial dev and scan.

K.
02-18-2012, 04:50 PM   #396
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Vendee Quote
The thing is, I like street photography and I find it too slow to use. By the time I've metered and faffed around with the rangefinder focusing.... the shots gone. That's not to say the camera is at fault in that respect. Henri Cartier-Bresson managed to take one or two good street shots with an unmetered rangefinder
Meter in advance, use fast film, and zone focus for the anticipated distance. On my last roll through the Canon P, about half the roll (all the street stuff) was based on a single meter reading.

As for HCB...to capture the decisive moment you must have a camera in hand and the ability to implement the capture. He stated that his experience hunting game was instrumental in developing the skills needed for street photography. Know your environment. Anticipate your prey. AF is not your friend. By the time the camera decides it is in focus, the moment is gone. As for exposure...the light seldom changes so fast that immediate metering is essential.

Steve

(...nice words, but I still suck at street photography!)
02-18-2012, 06:02 PM   #397
Site Supporter

Meter in advance, use fast film, and zone focus for the anticipated distance. On my last roll through the Canon P, about half the roll (all the street stuff) was based on a single meter reading.

As for HCB...to capture the decisive moment you must have a camera in hand and the ability to implement the capture. He stated that his experience hunting game was instrumental in developing the skills needed for street photography. Know your environment. Anticipate your prey. AF is not your friend. By the time the camera decides it is in focus, the moment is gone. As for exposure...the light seldom changes so fast that immediate metering is essential.

Steve

I'm pretty good at photographing streets. It's the damn people that are the problem.

John
02-18-2012, 07:45 PM   #398
Veteran Member

Got my first images scanned. Even figured out how to do some Lightroom stuff too! Thanks to all for your help! Now got tons of old negs to go through.

c 1970's Hassleblad SWC Ilford

(Image is a lot sharper but can't figure out how to get Photobucket to accept it? it has been reduced about 98%!)

02-19-2012, 01:48 AM   #399
Veteran Member

Steve

HCB's hunting experience definitely helped. Someone once said his motto was "into this space, something will come" and this is personified in some of his most famous shots:- http://www.afterimagegallery.com/BressonHyeresnew.jpg

http://www.afterimagegallery.com/bressonbehindnew.jpg

He also once said "Photographers deal in things which are continually vanishing and when they have vanished there is no contrivance on earth which can make them come back again" which is very true.

With regards to street photography, I wonder if people were more tolerant back in the 30's and 40's to having someone photograph them in the street. Today, some people take great offence and photographing kids is a big no-no.

Last edited by Vendee; 02-19-2012 at 01:57 AM.
02-19-2012, 02:04 AM   #400
Veteran Member

Oh and regards to the HCB photo in the second link, when I went there I waited for ages and no puddle jumper came into shot. I was so dissappointed

02-19-2012, 05:08 AM   #401
Veteran Member

...You didn't get rain and puddles either... I suppose the decisive moment for that spot is a half century or more gone... Imagine being that spot, all your glory is behind you now. At least the Beatles crosswalk gets action even now...

02-19-2012, 05:34 AM   #402
Veteran Member

...You didn't get rain and puddles either... I suppose the decisive moment for that spot is a half century or more gone... Imagine being that spot, all your glory is behind you now. At least the Beatles crosswalk gets action even now...
I'm sure you are right. The Beatles crossing is much more famous than the street "Behind the Gare Saint-Lazare" but I'm kinda sentimental and I spent a pleasant half an hour standing where the great man stood almost eighty years ago, marvelling at how little the scence had changed over the years (apart from the puddle)

Apparently the Beatles crossing is loathed by bus and taxi drivers because they always have to stop and wait while some tourist gets their photo taken on the crossing.

Now that's a puddle!
02-19-2012, 06:43 AM   #403
Veteran Member

Always enjoyed this thread.
Finally posting some of my past efforts.
All taken with Minolta bodies.

02-19-2012, 02:55 PM   #404
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jools Quote
Always enjoyed this thread.
Finally posting some of my past efforts.
All taken with Minolta bodies.

Particularly like the 2nd and 3rd shots.
02-19-2012, 03:12 PM   #405
Veteran Member

So the other week I ended up with a 2008 dated roll of Acros 100 (long story). I didn't want to risk using it for anything special but I didn't want to throw it away so this afternoon I loaded it into the K1000 and went into town. I had shot the roll off within 30 minutes and came home to develop it.

It was then I realised that I last used the K1000 for some Neopan 1600 and the ISO dial was still set to 1600. I make that a 4 stop push. So I used TMax developer 1+9 for 19 minutes. The negs are pretty thin but I was surprised to get a few reasonable scans and not as much grain as I thought.

Pentax K1000, M135mm f/3.5