Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-30-2015, 08:35 PM - 2 Likes   #4426
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I love/hate Kentmere films. Just developed another roll. Love the tone, just don't expect to pixel peep it and it's lovely.

Stretching the legs of my pz10. Great little go to camera, I should use it more often.

12-01-2015, 03:34 AM   #4427
gma

QuoteOriginally posted by manntax Quote
nice shots - especially last two, very minimalistic , I like the composition of these two a lot
Thanks. They were part of a "shoot a whole roll in a day" project, and each frame had to be a letter of the alphabet. The minimal subject matter fell out of that constraint, almost automatically.
12-01-2015, 07:13 AM - 2 Likes   #4428

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Some shots from a walk on the beach earlier this year. It is starting to get cold here now not as nice now as it was then. Super Program, HP5+ in HC110 and slightly too contrasty for me. I will likely reduce either development time or agitation or both.

12-01-2015, 10:20 AM   #4429
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dracluff Quote
slightly too contrasty for me
Looks fantastic here.

12-01-2015, 11:53 AM - 1 Like   #4430

QuoteOriginally posted by manntax Quote
great composition ! also the focusing seems to be spot on - not an easy task with that lens and camera combo well done !
Thanks!

---------- Post added 12-01-15 at 08:06 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by jcdoss Quote
Agreed! This is an excellent image! Would you share some details on your DSLR capture process, particularly the hardware you use?
Thanks!

Here's my set-up:

K-3 + Tamron 90 af on a tripod. I have opened a window of the frame size on a shoe box. Some paper cut and folded as such to allow sliding the film throught it. And I simply use my mobile phone for the film back light! Screen left on for 30 minutes (which is way plenty of time for "scanning" the whole film), and I use an app named "Whitescreen" - you guess what it does!?
Everything very fast, takes me 5 mins to set it up, and 15-20 for the whole process.

Raw files, F8, time whatever needed, manual focus, iso 100, no auto anything

And finally imported to Lightroom and automatically edited, inverted tonalities, and some touches here and there, and that is all.

Fast and cheap (if you already have a dslr).

Cheers

Last edited by vrolok; 12-01-2015 at 12:08 PM.
12-01-2015, 12:58 PM   #4431

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dsmithhfx Quote
Looks fantastic here.
Thanks. I feel like I am having trouble with my highlights but it could also be a function of my digitization which I do on a V550. I am still learning to get the best of it.
12-02-2015, 08:01 AM   #4432
Veteran Member

Thanks. I feel like I am having trouble with my highlights but it could also be a function of my digitization which I do on a V550. I am still learning to get the best of it.
the auto exposure expects a 'normal' scene with a percentage of highlights blown (assumed sky) - I tend to set my scanner to deliver a flat scan which I can then choose what is blown or not.

12-02-2015, 08:07 AM   #4433
Pentaxian

I do find that photos can look very different on different displays. So yours are perfectly tuned for *my* display.
12-02-2015, 08:31 AM - 5 Likes   #4434
Veteran Member

I recently 're-printed' some images I made on a Fuji GM670 with a 65mm f/8 Fujinon. TMAX 100 in Rodinal 1+25

12-02-2015, 01:47 PM - 3 Likes   #4435
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Two more kentmere shots because I like the look of this stuff so much.

QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
I recently 're-printed' some images I made on a Fuji GM670 with a 65mm f/8 Fujinon. TMAX 100 in Rodinal 1+25
Nesster, those are some really nice photos! They're quite sharp!
12-02-2015, 02:44 PM   #4436
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Some recent test shots with my new Petri 7 rangefinder. The meter does not work, but i shoot sunny 16 a lot, so that is not a problem for me.

This is not a snowblower. It's a lawnmower. sigh.

12-02-2015, 02:57 PM - 1 Like   #4437
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by 45 Mike Quote
Some recent test shots with my new Petri 7 rangefinder. The meter does not work, but i shoot sunny 16 a lot, so that is not a problem for me.

This is not a snowblower. It's a lawnmower. sigh.

Cool! I just picked up a Petri Racer rangefinder, they're nice cameras.
12-02-2015, 05:54 PM - 1 Like   #4438
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by 45 Mike Quote
Those look to have good exposure. For our latitude here in the Pacific NW, I think the Sunny 11 is more practical. I place my shadows 2 stops below my middle gray when I use a one-degree spot meter and that usually is the Sunny 11 rule around here especially in early spring/late fall when the Sun is not near its maximum declination and goes through much more atmosphere than people living between, say, 0 and 30 degrees latitude.
12-02-2015, 11:01 PM   #4439
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
Those look to have good exposure. For our latitude here in the Pacific NW, I think the Sunny 11 is more practical. I place my shadows 2 stops below my middle gray when I use a one-degree spot meter and that usually is the Sunny 11 rule around here especially in early spring/late fall when the Sun is not near its maximum declination and goes through much more atmosphere than people living between, say, 0 and 30 degrees latitude.
yep. I am fairly certain that I shot those at f:8 and 1/125, except the lawnmower, I bumped it down to 5.6, as there was a slight shade right there.
It was essentially a f:11 day and I dropped a stop because of the PNW northern status. :-) I almost always carry my DW-68 because so many of my favorite cameras have no meter at all. I know I looked at it that day.

The snow made a difference with low contrast. I used Ultrafine xtreme 100 and 1+3 d-76 for 12 minutes.
The negatives were thin. That was my last roll of that stuff. I have 400 ordered, and I am going back to 1+1 on the D76.

---------- Post added 12-02-15 at 22:09 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by bobbotron Quote
Cool! I just picked up a Petri Racer rangefinder, they're nice cameras.
I may someday get the meter working, it seems to be a mechanical problem rather than a light cell problem, the meter never reads less than a stop underexposed, even with the cap on.

The reason I got it was the shutter and aperture are both mechanical and not dependent on battery at all.
This will likely be my go to B&W rangefinder, as it has the f;1.9 fast lens. I REALLY like the flash synch at 1/500th, as well as that same feature on my Oly 35RC and other leaf shutter cameras.

Wondering why the DSLR stuff never went with the electronic leaf shutter for full synch speeds.
12-03-2015, 03:10 PM   #4440
Forum Member

I got a Petri 7S recently. Paid $10 for it and discovered it had been dropped... from a high place apparently...and not onto a forgiving surface. Focus adjustment was hard because the track had been jarred out of joint. The film advance was problematic and required a little pocketknife blade prying to advance at first. The shutter worked and the various apertures seemed ok and connected to the controls. Then I got the camera going satisfactorily. The selenium meter seemed to be the only thing still working on it's own from the get go. Then I put in a a roll of Kentmere 100 ...all 36 exposures and went outside to try it out. I got ten exposures into the roll and then everything locked up ...except the light meter. I got the focus ring to work but the film advance was stuck and stuck good. I did develop the film. And... too bad it's now a paper weight. The lens seemed to be pretty decent for a relic of the past.
Attached Images