Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-17-2016, 03:05 PM - 2 Likes   #4576
Pentaxian




Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada
Posts: 305
All M2, first two 35FLE, last one Summarit 90 and green filter, XP2, HC-110, Hasselblad X1 scans:










Chris


Last edited by drmoss_ca; 01-17-2016 at 03:31 PM.
01-18-2016, 06:03 PM - 2 Likes   #4577
Pentaxian
vinceloc's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Philippines
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 352
Shooting wide open at f1.4. Acros100+KX+Voigt Nokton 58/1.4 SLII



01-19-2016, 01:10 AM - 3 Likes   #4578
gma
Junior Member




Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 35
QuoteOriginally posted by baro-nite Quote
Is that a contact sheet or a scan? I had just been thinking about shooting some rolls with this kind of presentation in mind.
I laid the negatives out on my light box, then held my Ricoh GR above them and took a photo. Then I just inverted the JPEG and tweaked the contrast. :-)

Here are a couple of my favourites from the roll:










All shot on HP5+ in an SPII with an f2.8 35mm Carl Zeiss Flektogon (zebra) and developed in HC-110(B) for 5 minutes at 20°C.
01-19-2016, 01:44 AM - 1 Like   #4579
Veteran Member
manntax's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2012
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,972
QuoteOriginally posted by gma Quote
All shot on HP5+ in an SPII with an f2.8 35mm Carl Zeiss Flektogon (zebra) and developed in HC-110(B) for 5 minutes at 20°C.
great results ! and I agree with previous comment on the presentation of your film strips in that way you did - exellent idea ! BTW how do you find that zeiss flektogon 35mm f2.8 ? I have the 2.4 version but for collectors purposes sometime eyeing in the direction of the older one, but the one I had handled once was having pretty rough focusing.. Anyway great shots there which proves the quality of these older German lens ...

01-19-2016, 02:44 AM   #4580
gma
Junior Member




Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 35
QuoteOriginally posted by manntax Quote
great results ! and I agree with previous comment on the presentation of your film strips in that way you did - exellent idea ! BTW how do you find that zeiss flektogon 35mm f2.8 ? I have the 2.4 version but for collectors purposes sometime eyeing in the direction of the older one, but the one I had handled once was having pretty rough focusing.. Anyway great shots there which proves the quality of these older German lens ...
Thanks!

As for the Flektogon 2.8, I absolutely love it.

I was given it by a friend's father, when he heard I was using old screwmount cameras. He (and I) had no idea if it was any good. The aperture was a bit unreliable (not sticky, just "independently minded"), and the focusing ring was a bit stiff at some positions, loose at others.

I didn't think I'd use it much, and had been researching 35mm M42 lenses anyway. Having read the reviews for the f3.5 Takumar on this site, I decided to get one of those. I spent some time trying to find a nice copy on eBay, and got into a conversation with a guy called Lukas who had a mint copy but was asking a bit more than I was prepared to pay.

He also had an f2.4 Flektogon, and told me about its cult status. He took some sample photos with the Tak and the Flek 2.4, and emailed them over. The Flektogon shots appealed a little bit more.

I mentioned my f2.8 copy that was in need of attention. He wrote back to say the f2.8 version was widely underestimated, living in the shadow of the hype about the f2.4. He serviced and cleaned most of the lenses he sold on eBay himself, and offered to clean mine up and take a look at the aperture blades for £30. He said he didn't think I'd consider getting a Tak (or a Flek 2.4) once I'd seen the pictures from it, so I took a punt and posted it off to him.

It came back a week later with a lovely smooth focusing ring. Apparently many lens manufacturers didn't use top quality grease on the east side of the iron curtain, so it just needed cleaning and some fresh grease. He did his best with the aperture blades, and if I exercise the blades every months or so it works great.

And he was right about the Takumar – I do now have a very nice copy of the f3.5, but I'm yet to take a photo with it.

I've never handled a 2.4 so I'm not sure how it compares, but for close up work I absolutely love the results from the f2.8. One day soon I'll take it and the Takumar out and compare them on more normal (i.e. not macro) scenes.

Sorry, did I just give you more GAS? ;-)

If you'd like more examples I've got an album of Flek 2.8 shots here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/grahamashton/albums/72157650340054302

---------- Post added 01-19-16 at 09:47 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
A scene from a trip a couple years ago. I posted a different version back then. I didn't scan this version because the framing was too low and some clouds rolled in. I was looking at it again and noticed the Pole star was really streaked as well as dotted/dashed star trials in it but not at the bottom of the frame so much.
I really like both of those. Do you have any tips for gauging exposure for those of us who fancy trying something similar?

I'd have to shoot on 35mm (or use my Holga), and the widest lens I've got is 28mm. I'm guessing as wide a lens as possible is the way forward?
01-19-2016, 03:42 AM - 1 Like   #4581
Pentaxian
Jonathan Mac's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Madrid, Spain
Posts: 4,344
The SMC Takumar 35/3.5 has great IQ, I'd recommend you give it a try.
01-19-2016, 06:52 AM   #4582
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Seattle
Posts: 7,103
QuoteOriginally posted by gma Quote
I really like both of those. Do you have any tips for gauging exposure for those of us who fancy trying something similar?
Thanks. I used Acros so pretty much no reciprocity to worry about. The second shot was taken before the first with more light in the sky. Both were at f8 for about 20 and 45 minutes if I recall correctly. I cut the first one short due to those clouds rolling in. The cabin picked up some artificial light in the distance it looks like. And I didn't have the cabin light on during the entire exposure either. I think I only put it on for about a few minutes. I'd use any lens you got. Of course the wider the more you'll see but work with what you got and experiment.
01-19-2016, 07:42 AM   #4583
Veteran Member
manntax's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2012
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,972
QuoteOriginally posted by gma Quote
Thanks! As for the Flektogon 2.8, I absolutely love it. I was given it by a friend's father, when he heard I was using old screwmount cameras. He (and I) had no idea if it was any good. The aperture was a bit unreliable (not sticky, just "independently minded"), and the focusing ring was a bit stiff at some positions, loose at others. I didn't think I'd use it much, and had been researching 35mm M42 lenses anyway. Having read the reviews for the f3.5 Takumar on this site, I decided to get one of those. I spent some time trying to find a nice copy on eBay, and got into a conversation with a guy called Lukas who had a mint copy but was asking a bit more than I was prepared to pay. He also had an f2.4 Flektogon, and told me about its cult status. He took some sample photos with the Tak and the Flek 2.4, and emailed them over. The Flektogon shots appealed a little bit more. I mentioned my f2.8 copy that was in need of attention. He wrote back to say the f2.8 version was widely underestimated, living in the shadow of the hype about the f2.4. He serviced and cleaned most of the lenses he sold on eBay himself, and offered to clean mine up and take a look at the aperture blades for £30. He said he didn't think I'd consider getting a Tak (or a Flek 2.4) once I'd seen the pictures from it, so I took a punt and posted it off to him. It came back a week later with a lovely smooth focusing ring. Apparently many lens manufacturers didn't use top quality grease on the east side of the iron curtain, so it just needed cleaning and some fresh grease. He did his best with the aperture blades, and if I exercise the blades every months or so it works great. And he was right about the Takumar – I do now have a very nice copy of the f3.5, but I'm yet to take a photo with it. I've never handled a 2.4 so I'm not sure how it compares, but for close up work I absolutely love the results from the f2.8. One day soon I'll take it and the Takumar out and compare them on more normal (i.e. not macro) scenes. Sorry, did I just give you more GAS? ;-) If you'd like more examples I've got an album of Flek 2.8 shots here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/grahamashton/albums/72157650340054302
Nice story Graham (just had a peek at your Flickr - great shots there !) You certainly did great with that lens - About Flek 35 I had them both side by side and honestly could not see much of a difference, apart from the convenient switch on the f2.4 version ( for manual aperture) and the speed f2.4 vs. f2.8 , they were performing rather the same. One thing that was distinctive about f2.8 though was the close focusing more, which was something like 17-18cm, where on f2.4 version it was about 19-20cm if I recall.

I wonder what camera you are using because the focusing seems to be spot on in majority of cases - not an easy task for a lens like this!

01-19-2016, 11:17 AM   #4584
gma
Junior Member




Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 35
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
Thanks. I used Acros so pretty much no reciprocity to worry about. The second shot was taken before the first with more light in the sky. Both were at f8 for about 20 and 45 minutes if I recall correctly. I cut the first one short due to those clouds rolling in. The cabin picked up some artificial light in the distance it looks like. And I didn't have the cabin light on during the entire exposure either. I think I only put it on for about a few minutes. I'd use any lens you got. Of course the wider the more you'll see but work with what you got and experiment.
Brilliant–thanks very much for that, I'll give it a go.

---------- Post added 01-19-16 at 06:21 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by manntax Quote
I wonder what camera you are using because the focusing seems to be spot on in majority of cases - not an easy task for a lens like this!
It was a Spotmatic (an SPII). I had it mounted on my tripod which will have made accurate focus a lot easier.

You're right about the close focus, its 18cm on the f2.8. Because it's a zebra it looks great on a black Spotmatic, by the way…
01-20-2016, 03:21 AM - 6 Likes   #4585
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Nagoya
Posts: 577
My first post in a while on here! I've been shooting quite a bit of film but not doing much with it, so now's the time. This is from a super old roll of HP5+ - one of the black canister ones - and a Praktica Super TL 1000 with an early Pentacon 50/1.8. I exposed the old film at 200 and developed in Rodinal and it came out grainy but pleasant.

01-20-2016, 12:01 PM   #4586
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Seattle
Posts: 7,103
QuoteOriginally posted by edmundrt Quote
My first post in a while on here! I've been shooting quite a bit of film but not doing much with it, so now's the time. This is from a super old roll of HP5+ - one of the black canister ones - and a Praktica Super TL 1000 with an early Pentacon 50/1.8. I exposed the old film at 200 and developed in Rodinal and it came out grainy but pleasant.
Yes, nice portrait.
01-20-2016, 03:31 PM   #4587
Site Supporter
Duplo's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Copenhagen
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 924
QuoteOriginally posted by edmundrt Quote
My first post in a while on here! I've been shooting quite a bit of film but not doing much with it, so now's the time. This is from a super old roll of HP5+ - one of the black canister ones - and a Praktica Super TL 1000 with an early Pentacon 50/1.8. I exposed the old film at 200 and developed in Rodinal and it came out grainy but pleasant.
Gorgeous
01-21-2016, 03:51 PM - 2 Likes   #4588
Pentaxian
45 Mike's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2014
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,349
Traveler 120, 6x9 cm on ultrafine extreme 100 in D-76

Two takes on the same frame, one cropped, the other less processed:




Melting mini glacier:


Under the maple tree:


Over the maple tree:


Foggy snow melt:
01-21-2016, 06:41 PM - 1 Like   #4589
Pentaxian
vinceloc's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Philippines
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 352
Queen's gambit...



High contrast processing

Last edited by vinceloc; 01-21-2016 at 07:20 PM.
01-22-2016, 12:23 PM - 1 Like   #4590
Pentaxian




Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada
Posts: 305
M2, 35FLE, Acros 100, HC-110, X1:



























Chris
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
autofocus, camera, d-76, dog, doubt, exposure, film, flickr, fp4, kiev, leak, lens, love, mine, minutes, nikkormat, pentax, phil, photography, pm, post, quality, roll, shot, shots, smc, sp500, station, steve, thanks
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Travel Some B&W film shots from the Gulf of Gaeta, Italy Rense Post Your Photos! 3 04-23-2011 12:22 AM
First post - few b&w shots sealisthenewbeaver Photo Critique 2 09-22-2008 06:40 PM
My Pentax shots in print & film. blwnhr Photographic Technique 5 03-18-2008 05:13 PM
First shots with a zx-5 film camera (c&c welcome) jbrowning Post Your Photos! 2 12-23-2007 08:18 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:12 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top