Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-28-2016, 07:54 PM - 1 Like   #4636
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Swift1 Quote
Here's my first ever large format photo. The film was home developed by a friend, and there was some uneven developing so I added a vignette.

Pacemaker Speed Graphic
Kodak Ektar 127/4.7
Fomapan 100
Congratulations, and great detail on that amazing tree. I love trees. Good luck working in large format!
David

01-28-2016, 10:27 PM   #4637
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I forget, what do you use for a daylight tank.

Steve
It's a HP Combi tank shown in this photo on the right. I have a couple of them and use them because they adapted to Ag-O-Matic nicely.

Wisner 4x5 Technical Field, Schneider Symmar-S 180/5.6, 320TXP, PMK Pyro

Last edited by tuco; 01-28-2016 at 10:35 PM.
01-29-2016, 06:47 PM - 1 Like   #4638
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
One from my almost new Petri 7 shootin home rolled Plus-X

---------- Post added 01-29-16 at 17:54 ----------

A few from my Pentax P3N with a 50mm A 1.7
On home rolled Kodak Plus-X

This one breaks my heart. I really liked this one, but the film scratches just ruins the affair. sigh, bummer.

I scan the negs as color, so I can sometimes do some colorization , I kinda like the subtle effect the color has here.

And a shot of a rock wall.

---------- Post added 01-29-16 at 18:00 ----------

A shot from my Petri 7, using off camera flash, of my new Minolta Hi-Matic G, which apparently does do needle capture exposure lock, I am running a roll through it and will find out for sure and certain, if it really does, or really doesn't.

01-30-2016, 04:32 AM - 1 Like   #4639
Veteran Member

Shots from a few months ago. It was to test out using my green filter. I think it turned out pretty nice.

Last edited by malinku; 01-30-2016 at 05:10 AM.
01-30-2016, 10:46 PM   #4640
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by 45 Mike Quote
This one breaks my heart. I really liked this one, but the film scratches just ruins the affair. sigh, bummer.
Arrrgh. I was about to strip out the roll of Plus-X from my bulk loader and start over with a fresh roll, because of the scratches on the film, they just never went away, and it was making me angry.

I bought the loader, and the seller did not tell me it had film in it. I opened it, saw the film and closed it right away, the edges are slightly exposed, but generally it looks ok for developing.

I never used a loader before, and there are no instructions that I could find for this particular loader.

The scratches are being caused by the light trap. I had no idea that I needed to open and close that trap for every roll. I thought the locking lever opened and closed that trap.

I just watched a video that shows the Alden-74 being used properly and it shows that the trap is opened and closed on the bulk door and it needs to be done for every roll.

Now I have a fresh roll that should be unscratched, and I am gonna be soooo happy, finally.
01-31-2016, 09:14 AM   #4641
Pentaxian

Arrrgh. I was about to strip out the roll of Plus-X from my bulk loader and start over with a fresh roll, because of the scratches on the film, they just never went away, and it was making me angry.
Those loader instructions sound like my bulk loader's operation. What are you using?

I get some scratches with mine too. None too serious if I recall but it has been a long time since I last used it. I think the last time was when I sent stevebrot, a member here on PF, a few rolls to try some time ago. I have it loaded with some Panatomic-X from years ago still. I've often thought the re-loadable 135 canister could also be a contributing factor to scratches. But I've never been able to say for sure.
01-31-2016, 10:31 AM   #4642
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
Those loader instructions sound like my bulk loader's operation. What are you using?

I get some scratches with mine too. None too serious if I recall but it has been a long time since I last used it. I think the last time was when I sent stevebrot, a member here on PF, a few rolls to try some time ago. I have it loaded with some Panatomic-X from years ago still. I've often thought the re-loadable 135 canister could also be a contributing factor to scratches. But I've never been able to say for sure.
An Alden 74. It came loaded, i have no idea if it is loaded correctly. Now that I am opening the light trap, the roller is much smoother and almost no drag. i think it's working great.

On this model, apparently, there is no felt in the loader, so the only surface that can cause scratches is the cartridge felt, (unless of course, i fail to "open" the light trap). That's the theory anyways.

01-31-2016, 11:45 AM   #4643
Pentaxian

An Alden 74. It came loaded, i have no idea if it is loaded correctly.
Yea, I have the same brand. I think if the developed roll is okay then you're good less any scratches of course.
01-31-2016, 03:07 PM - 1 Like   #4644
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Finally a few hours at the desktop again

Finally got a chance to develop and scan some film again

So here are a few

Handheld long exposure during a nighttime snowfall (ME Super, 50/1.7 HP5 @ 800)

One from the Studio (67ii, 55/4, no. 1 tube, Tri-x @ 320)

From a misty morning run (Cosina CX-1 Double X)
01-31-2016, 03:47 PM - 1 Like   #4645
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The scratches are being caused by the light trap. I had no idea that I needed to open and close that trap for every roll. I thought the locking lever opened and closed that trap.
That is a shame. My Watson loader is the same. (The Alden-74 is a variant of the Watson design.) You have to remember to open the trap before rolling the film. As tuco mentioned, the other possible source of scratches would be the felt trap on the canister. It could be worse. The Lloyd-style loaders have a stationary felt trap that is notorious for scratching.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 01-31-2016 at 04:00 PM.
01-31-2016, 03:50 PM   #4646
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
I think the last time was when I sent stevebrot, a member here on PF, a few rolls to try some time ago. I have it loaded with some Panatomic-X from years ago still.
A gift that was and is still very much appreciated. I made some very nice images from that donation.

Steve
01-31-2016, 10:08 PM   #4647
Pentaxian

A gift that was and is still very much appreciated. I made some very nice images from that donation.

Steve
Did you have any scratches?
01-31-2016, 11:49 PM   #4648
Veteran Member

That is a shame. My Watson loader is the same. (The Alden-74 is a variant of the Watson design.) You have to remember to open the trap before rolling the film. As tuco mentioned, the other possible source of scratches would be the felt trap on the canister. It could be worse. The Lloyd-style loaders have a stationary felt trap that is notorious for scratching.

Steve
Yep, I have heard of dirty felt in the cartridge causing scratches, but my cartridges are brand new, never used. The scratches I was getting are all very regular and every roll was the same scratches. Not just similar, but the same. I am rather certain that now that i am opening the trap correctly, those will be gone and I will be very happy with the results. I think I have two rolls of scratchy film in cameras, and one on the shelf. I am about to scrap the one on the shelf, but I might keep it as a test roll for whatever someday.
02-01-2016, 06:55 AM   #4649

I am always worried about scratches. So far I have been lucky and maybe only had one roll with anything significant. 3M makes a roll of tape with the same sticky back as a post it note. I use that to clean the felt on the cartridges. I also built my own loader that I have to use in the dark. I load the film on the reel and then slide it into the cartridge so it only passes the felt once. Like I said so far so good.

When loading your film how do you attach it to the reel? I have used tape but I often get residue on areas I do not want. I have been trying to work out a way to make some sort of punch that would cut the shape and put a hole in the end like they do at the factory. I have a way but I have yet to get something simple and easy.

I have been having trouble linking photos from the new google pictures, has anyone else had trouble with it?

Last edited by dracluff; 02-01-2016 at 10:09 AM.
02-01-2016, 01:22 PM - 2 Likes   #4650
Veteran Member

K1000, M50/1.7, TMax 400