Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-23-2016, 09:36 PM - 3 Likes   #4921
Site Supporter
jcdoss's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Kansas City, MO
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,912

Jasper, AR and the Buffalo River taken with Pentax Super Program and Pentax-K 17/4 Fisheye on Kentmere 400 and developed in Caffenol-CH by Jason Doss, on Flickr

04-23-2016, 10:00 PM   #4922
Senior Member
RR84's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 161
QuoteOriginally posted by Xmas Quote
Like that both expressions and sign language.
Not easy to time.
Cheers. Actually that shot was a leap of faith. The scene was too tight for me to frame it through the viewfinder, so I sat the camera vertically on my lap, set focus to around 2m distance, angled it upwards and wished for the best.

Last edited by RR84; 04-23-2016 at 10:15 PM.
04-24-2016, 07:42 AM - 3 Likes   #4923
Senior Member




Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Perth Western Australia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 131
Developed in ID-11 for 11 minutes Rondinex 35U cont agitation. HP5+, Pentax KM, SMC 30/2.8
Scanned using Canoscan 8400F.

Attached Images
 
04-24-2016, 08:00 AM - 1 Like   #4924
Veteran Member




Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 490
QuoteOriginally posted by RR84 Quote
Cheers. Actually that shot was a leap of faith. The scene was too tight for me to frame it through the viewfinder, so I sat the camera vertically on my lap, set focus to around 2m distance, angled it upwards and wished for the best.
Yes you can put all the time concentration into instinctive point.
Pick a wider angle lens - 2m is good and if you are shy a quiet camera helps.
But when the camera clunks you got the shot.

04-24-2016, 08:10 AM - 3 Likes   #4925
Pentaxian
cooltouch's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 575
I just ran across this thread and I thought I'd add a bit of my B&W stuff to it. I have B&W photos of my own that date back to the early 1980s and I have some from my father when he was stationed in Korea during the conflict. I'll post photos in sets to keep things organized. This first set here is some of my earliest work. During most of the 1980s, I worked for an oil compnay -- first Getty Oil Co, which was acquired by Texaco in 1984. These shots were taken when it was still Getty. The setting is the Kern River Field, a huge oilfield that lies just north of Bakersfield, California. Back then, we were producing over 100,000 barrels of oil a day from the field and it was a very complex operation to do this. The oil was produced via a "steam drive" where you had steam injector wells interspersed between the production wells. The crude oil in the Kern River Field is very thick, almost like tar at room temperatures, so injecting steam downhole not only thinned the oil so it would flow, but it provided a drive -- pushing the oil toward the producing wells. Back then we were generating steam by actually burning a portion of the oil we produced in steam generators that were located in groups throughout the field. The oil had all sorts of impurities, so we had to run the flue gas through these giant scrubbers to remove the impurities. I was a scrubber tech back then and we had to perform compliance testing as well as run maintenance checks on the scrubbers, so I was often out at the steam generator sites. These photos come from a few of my visits to some of the sites. The camera I was using back then was a Canon FTb. Lenses varied, but one of my favorites was a Canon FL 35mm f/2.5. For a "walking around" zoom, I was using a Vivitar Series 1 28-90mm f/2.8-3.5. The B&W film I used here was some cheap stuff I bought at a local camera shop. I think it was Foma, but I'm not sure. As I dimly recall, it was from Czecheslovakia. I developed it in D76 full strength.

The giant white plumes you see coming from the scrubbers are almost pure water vapor.


A scrubber tech climbing in the ladder cage


Compliance testing


View from the top walkway on a scrubber


Looking up at a scrubber plume


Steam generator convection sections


A row of steam generators


A steam generator induction fan -- about 5 feet tall




Insulated steam piping distribution


In about 1985, the field was converted over to natural gas to generate steam as part of a cogeneration project. Now, the field generates electricity from burning natural gas to spin steam turbines and the "waste" steam is used for the field's steam drive needs. So no more scrubbers or steam generators and no more having to burn a significant percentage of the production to produce steam.
04-24-2016, 09:05 AM   #4926
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Toronto
Posts: 2,104
QuoteOriginally posted by cooltouch Quote
I just ran across this thread and I thought I'd add a bit of my B&W stuff to it. I have B&W photos of my own that date back to the early 1980s and I have some from my father when he was stationed in Korea during the conflict. I'll post photos in sets to keep things organized. This first set here is some of my earliest work. During most of the 1980s, I worked for an oil compnay -- first Getty Oil Co, which was acquired by Texaco in 1984. These shots were taken when it was still Getty. The setting is the Kern River Field, a huge oilfield that lies just north of Bakersfield, California. Back then, we were producing over 100,000 barrels of oil a day from the field and it was a very complex operation to do this. The oil was produced via a "steam drive" where you had steam injector wells interspersed between the production wells. The crude oil in the Kern River Field is very thick, almost like tar at room temperatures, so injecting steam downhole not only thinned the oil so it would flow, but it provided a drive -- pushing the oil toward the producing wells. Back then we were generating steam by actually burning a portion of the oil we produced in steam generators that were located in groups throughout the field. The oil had all sorts of impurities, so we had to run the flue gas through these giant scrubbers to remove the impurities. I was a scrubber tech back then and we had to perform compliance testing as well as run maintenance checks on the scrubbers, so I was often out at the steam generator sites. These photos come from a few of my visits to some of the sites. The camera I was using back then was a Canon FTb. Lenses varied, but one of my favorites was a Canon FL 35mm f/2.5. For a "walking around" zoom, I was using a Vivitar Series 1 28-90mm f/2.8-3.5. The B&W film I used here was some cheap stuff I bought at a local camera shop. I think it was Foma, but I'm not sure. As I dimly recall, it was from Czecheslovakia. I developed it in D76 full strength.

The giant white plumes you see coming from the scrubbers are almost pure water vapor.


A scrubber tech climbing in the ladder cage


Compliance testing


View from the top walkway on a scrubber


Looking up at a scrubber plume


Steam generator convection sections


A row of steam generators


A steam generator induction fan -- about 5 feet tall




Insulated steam piping distribution


In about 1985, the field was converted over to natural gas to generate steam as part of a cogeneration project. Now, the field generates electricity from burning natural gas to spin steam turbines and the "waste" steam is used for the field's steam drive needs. So no more scrubbers or steam generators and no more having to burn a significant percentage of the production to produce steam.
Really interesting material & photos, cooltouch!
04-24-2016, 01:49 PM - 1 Like   #4927
Pentaxian




Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada
Posts: 305
M2, 35FLE, Pan F, HC-110, X1 scan:







Chris
04-24-2016, 03:07 PM - 3 Likes   #4928
Veteran Member




Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 402
A few Portraits with my TLRs.

Mamiya C33 (expired AgfaPan APX 100)





Ricoh Diacord (Fomapan 200)



04-25-2016, 12:10 PM - 1 Like   #4929
Pentaxian




Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada
Posts: 305
M2, Visoflex 3, Summilux 50, Pan F, HC-110, X1 scan:









Chris
04-25-2016, 01:29 PM   #4930
Pentaxian
bobbotron's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Ottawa, ON
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,900
QuoteOriginally posted by malinku Quote
A few Portraits with my TLRs.

Mamiya C33 (expired AgfaPan APX 100)


Ricoh Diacord (Fomapan 200)
These are great, nicely done!
04-25-2016, 07:36 PM - 1 Like   #4931
Site Supporter
jcdoss's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Kansas City, MO
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,912

Horse and Buggy taken with Pentax Super Program and Pentax-M 120/2.8 on Kentmere 400 and developed in Caffenol-CH by Jason Doss, on Flickr
04-26-2016, 05:33 AM - 1 Like   #4932
Pentaxian




Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: launceston
Posts: 1,188
QuoteOriginally posted by bobbotron Quote
These are quite fantastic, thanks for sharing!
Thank you!

Some more from KL... M2 and 400TMax

V550 scans














04-26-2016, 06:06 AM - 3 Likes   #4933
Pentaxian
racingsnake's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 382
somewhere on the streets of Moscow with expired t-max 100

04-26-2016, 08:25 AM - 2 Likes   #4934
Pentaxian
cooltouch's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 575
Continuing to dig through scans of B&W images I've taken over the years. I came across a small set I shot while taking a boat-ride tour of the Los Angeles Harbor at San Pedro back in about 1991. I was carrying a Zeiss Super Ikonta BX. Most of my shots were slides, but I did shoot a roll of black and white also. Tri-X, developed in D-76 full strength. Here are some uncropped squares. I also shot some photos of a US Navy frigate, the USS Hepburn. It was docked at San Pedro probably as part of its decommissioning process. The ship was launched in 1969 and decommissioned in 1991. It was sunk as target practice in 2002. I cropped one of the photos for better effect. That Tri-X gets grainy pretty quickly, doesn't it?
Attached Images
           

Last edited by cooltouch; 04-26-2016 at 09:26 AM.
04-26-2016, 10:58 AM - 2 Likes   #4935
Pentaxian




Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada
Posts: 305
I read of somebody's 'Dark 2 rule' - ISO400 film, aperture at 1.4 or 2.0 and shutter speed the reciprocal of focal length. So I wandered round the house last night with the M2, Neopan 400, Lux 50 @1.4, 1/60 sec. HC-110 and X1 scans:















Chris
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
autofocus, camera, d-76, dog, doubt, exposure, film, flickr, fp4, kiev, leak, lens, love, mine, minutes, nikkormat, pentax, phil, photography, pm, post, quality, roll, shot, shots, smc, sp500, station, steve, thanks
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Travel Some B&W film shots from the Gulf of Gaeta, Italy Rense Post Your Photos! 3 04-23-2011 12:22 AM
First post - few b&w shots sealisthenewbeaver Photo Critique 2 09-22-2008 06:40 PM
My Pentax shots in print & film. blwnhr Photographic Technique 5 03-18-2008 05:13 PM
First shots with a zx-5 film camera (c&c welcome) jbrowning Post Your Photos! 2 12-23-2007 08:18 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:45 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top