Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 27027 Likes Search this Thread
01-30-2017, 11:47 AM   #5716
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Vendee Quote
I haven't used my Kiev 4A for over a year.... because of the light leak. Mine is on the actual shutter curtain somewhere. Shame really as I love the Jupiter 8 lens and the look it gives. I've sometimes thought about sending it away for repair but it would cost about 3 times the value of the camera. It would be a lot cheaper to buy a "serviced" Kiev from the Ukraine on ebay.
I've seen instructions for how to repair the seals on the various places that light leaks normally appear, and might eventually cave and give it a go myself. But oof, there are a lot of potential spots...

01-30-2017, 02:07 PM - 1 Like   #5717
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by g026r Quote
I've seen instructions for how to repair the seals on the various places that light leaks normally appear, and might eventually cave and give it a go myself. But oof, there are a lot of potential spots...
I've got all the links to the helpful repair sites. I've been thinking..... The Kiev has sat there for over a year and I'm not ever going to use it because of the light leaks. I don't want to spend 3 times the value of the camera on repair so I may as well strip it down and repair/service it myself.....I've got nothing to lose
01-30-2017, 06:21 PM - 5 Likes   #5718
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I took my MX out for a bit of an airing out recently and came up with a few keepers. I was shooting Tri-X, developed in D-76. Things came out kinda grainy -- but it is Tri-X after all. The lens I used was a Tamron SP 24-48mm f/3.5-3.8.

01-30-2017, 06:32 PM   #5719
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Very nice... gotta love the MX/Tri-X combo.

01-31-2017, 06:14 AM - 8 Likes   #5720
Veteran Member

Mamiya Six Winter shots

Although I'm not exactly sure why, it had been about 9 months since using any of my film cameras. I shot a couple rolls of Neopan 100 Acros with the Mamiya 6 and developed it in Fuji SPD.

1. River Crossing (yes, we did make it across those rocks with snowshoes on!)

2. Winter on the lake

3. A subtle selfie...

4. Snow-bound rice paddies

5. Irrigation ditch

6. Can you guess which tree I'm planning to cut down?

7. A bovine moment

Thanks for looking!
01-31-2017, 06:17 PM - 4 Likes   #5721
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Konica Auto S2 with Ilford Super 400 below:
[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
02-03-2017, 11:07 PM - 7 Likes   #5722
Pentaxian

My old K2's electronics broke, so I picked up a new one. In addition, the seller threw in a broken ME Super "for parts". (What do I need with a broken ME Super?)

Both arrived, and after checking the K2, I turned to the ME Super, curious to know what was wrong before I junked it. Gave it a quick look over; inserted some batteries; flipped the switch to M, and it appeared to work. (What do I need with a working ME Super?)

Figured I may as well run a roll through to confirm. Wound up with a pair of blank frames on the roll, suggesting that there might indeed be something wrong with it, but everything else turned out fine.

Pentax ME Super.
smc Pentax-M 50mm f1.4.
Ilford XP2 Super.

Pentax ME Super.
Tamron Adaptall-2 80-210mm f3.8-4.
Ilford XP2 Super.

(The statue in the second photo is one of my standard test shots. Whenever I get a new camera or lens, there's a good chance I take a shot of it from some angle.)

Last edited by g026r; 02-03-2017 at 11:38 PM.
02-04-2017, 01:15 AM   #5723
Pentaxian

My old K2's electronics broke, so I picked up a new one. In addition, the seller threw in a broken ME Super "for parts". (What do I need with a broken ME Super?)

Both arrived, and after checking the K2, I turned to the ME Super, curious to know what was wrong before I junked it. Gave it a quick look over; inserted some batteries; flipped the switch to M, and it appeared to work. (What do I need with a working ME Super?)

Figured I may as well run a roll through to confirm. Wound up with a pair of blank frames on the roll, suggesting that there might indeed be something wrong with it, but everything else turned out fine.

Pentax ME Super.
smc Pentax-M 50mm f1.4.
Ilford XP2 Super.

Pentax ME Super.
Tamron Adaptall-2 80-210mm f3.8-4.
Ilford XP2 Super.

(The statue in the second photo is one of my standard test shots. Whenever I get a new camera or lens, there's a good chance I take a shot of it from some angle.)
Will a K2 with broken electronics still work in manual mode with only the auto mode out of action?
02-04-2017, 08:18 AM   #5724
Pentaxian

Electronic shutter, so it will only work on the flash sync speed: 1/125. (And possibly B as well.)

Plus the meter has also stopped working. The only electronic thing that still works on it is the battery check light.

Last edited by g026r; 02-04-2017 at 11:10 PM.
02-04-2017, 12:01 PM - 1 Like   #5725
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Good to know I'm not the only one who does that!

I have various "testing" photo shoots I use for new to me cameras/lenses and also shoot the same subjects each time. I find it easier to compare the newer purchases to gear that I already own if I shoot the same subjects.

Phil.

PS Good results with your new ME Super!
02-05-2017, 09:46 PM - 1 Like   #5726
Veteran Member

I do this as well, but with me it is telephotos that are 300mm or longer. I have a subject I use that is a known fixed distance from the back of my house -- probably about 60 yards distant. There's nothing photogenic about it, though. It's a tag on a transformer on a power pole behind my house. The tag has rather small writing on it and I evaluate telephotos' sharpness based on how easily I can read the writing.
02-06-2017, 12:27 PM   #5727
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Vendee Quote
I've got all the links to the helpful repair sites. I've been thinking..... The Kiev has sat there for over a year and I'm not ever going to use it because of the light leaks. I don't want to spend 3 times the value of the camera on repair so I may as well strip it down and repair/service it myself.....I've got nothing to lose
They are easy to fix providing if you remove the shutter assembly from body you stick masking tape on immediately to keep the shafts in place or you will be sorry.
02-08-2017, 08:14 AM - 8 Likes   #5728
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think this was taken with my trusty Spotmatic F a year or two ago at the Wallingford Back mine in Quebec, before access to it was cut off. Tragedy of the commons, people made a mess of it and annoyed the neighbors... Too bad, it's an amazing spot.

02-09-2017, 12:01 AM - 2 Likes   #5729
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Franks Solida Kodak T-Max 120
02-10-2017, 05:38 PM - 4 Likes   #5730
Pentaxian

My second roll of Verichrome Pan. I've got one more of these left, but it will probably wait until summer & better light. It's waited almost 50 years already, another few months isn't going to hurt.

Yashicaflex A.
Yashimar 80mm f3.5.
Kodak Verichrome Pan. (Expired 1970.)