Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-18-2017, 09:39 AM   #5896
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by g026r Quote
One of two rolls of Tech Pan I recently came across via sheer accident and omg.
Cool. Do you know what was it developed with?

I've shot TP in 120 roll and developed it in Kodak's recommended TECHNIDOL. I feel today you can shoot a 100 tabular grain film like 100ARC at EI 12 and get about the same fine grain ( highlight compression produces finer grain than normal development with a staining Pyro developer for me anyway). I've posted a 400TMY @ EI 100 and TP crops and there was hardly any "wow" difference in the grain, IMHO.

04-18-2017, 09:51 AM   #5897
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
Cool. Do you know what was it developed with?
Afraid not, though I can ask at the lab the next time I'm in. (I assume not technidol, just because why would they have any stashed away. )
04-18-2017, 11:29 AM - 10 Likes   #5898

I just got my first roll of film developed. I am pleased with results as this was first experience shooting film. Shot with a K1000, M 1.7, Illford 400.

Last edited by GolNat; 07-17-2017 at 12:35 PM. Reason: Stupid Photobucket
04-18-2017, 11:57 AM   #5899
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by GolNat Quote
I just got my first roll of film developed. I am pleased with results as this was first experience shooting film. Shot with a K1000, M 1.7, Illford 400.
Nice job on your first roll! Was that Delta 400 or HP5+? If I were to guess, I'd say HP5+.

04-18-2017, 12:09 PM   #5900

QuoteOriginally posted by murrelet Quote
Nice job on your first roll!
Thank you! It was a lot of fun and in some ways relieving not having to do post processing and worrying about all the added technology. I am hooked and just got done shooting a roll of Tri-X from Easter weekend.

I did shoot about 10-12 shots before I realized that the retract wheel wasn't moving as I was cocking the shutter. So I opened it and I didn't load the film well as it was still at the beginning...Ooops.

QuoteQuote:
Was that Delta 400 or HP5+? If I were to guess, I'd say HP5+.
Yes it was HP5+. How could you tell?
04-18-2017, 12:41 PM   #5901
Pentaxian

Thank you! It was a lot of fun and in some ways relieving not having to do post processing and worrying about all the added technology.
Congrats!

The post processing was already done for you by the lab scanning the film. You have to adjust the contrast curve as a minimum when converting film to digital.
04-18-2017, 12:52 PM   #5902
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yes it was HP5+. How could you tell?
They both have their own look when shot and dev'd normally. HP5 has larger more pronounced grain and is generally contrasty. Delta a tigther/finer grain and more emphasis on midtones and lovely detailed highlights.

You get so you can tell whats what or at least make a good guess. There are many (not I) that can often figure out what developer you may have used, at what dilution, for how long and whether you pushed/pulled. Welcome to the rabbit hole.

(couple o' great shots for your first roll btw - well done!)
04-18-2017, 12:58 PM   #5903
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
I like those results - a little grainy but great tones. Nice compositions too.
Thanks.

04-18-2017, 07:43 PM   #5904

QuoteOriginally posted by chickentender Quote
They both have their own look when shot and dev'd normally. HP5 has larger more pronounced grain and is generally contrasty. Delta a tigther/finer grain and more emphasis on midtones and lovely detailed highlights.

You get so you can tell whats what or at least make a good guess. There are many (not I) that can often figure out what developer you may have used, at what dilution, for how long and whether you pushed/pulled. Welcome to the rabbit hole.

Thank you. I guess once I get more experience shooting different types I will learn to see the differences. Since I have fallen down the rabbit hole I am sure I will be trying lots of types

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
Congrats!

The post processing was already done for you by the lab scanning the film. You have to adjust the contrast curve as a minimum when converting film to digital.
Thanks.

I am sure if I end shooting a lot of film I will want to start processing my own negatives but until then I will leave it to the lab. I sent mine to The Darkroom in California, which took a while from the East Coast but was a good price for what they offered.
04-19-2017, 05:50 AM   #5905
Pentaxian

I am sure if I end shooting a lot of film I will want to start processing my own negatives but until then I will leave it to the lab. I sent mine to The Darkroom in California, which took a while from the East Coast but was a good price for what they offered.
Processing your own BW film can be fun and gives you access to a lot of extra control. The lab you sent your film to did a good job and has a nice scanner. I'd be happy with those results.
04-19-2017, 05:54 AM   #5906
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by g026r Quote
Afraid not, though I can ask at the lab the next time I'm in. (I assume not technidol, just because why would they have any stashed away. )
I found a package of technidol that I still have. So I took a picture of it. It has no date on it and I wonder if it's still good. I probably purchased it in the early 90's.
04-19-2017, 09:23 AM   #5907
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Which Film Is This?

QuoteOriginally posted by chickentender Quote

Just for fun...
Attached Images

04-19-2017, 10:06 AM   #5908
Pentaxian

Generally describing a film's range of tones is based on its characteristic curve. And a film's characteristic curve is also a function of the its processing. Different developers and development (Normal, N+1, N-1, etc) produces a shifted characteristic curve and hence its tone range description.
04-19-2017, 01:41 PM   #5909
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Bonner04 Quote
Just for fun...
Hahaha I said "not I"... meaning I'm not good at it!
Besides, that's not much info to go on to begin with. I don't have a chance. But I'll take a stab if they're both the same film....
Looks like 135 format - no idea what camera/lens... (is this a trick question? they're digital images aren't they? hehe )
I'd have to say a slower film like 100 - Maybe Delta or a Tmax or something... Grain doesn't look tight enough for Acros, but I'm not good at this.
Someone else try.

Last edited by Eyewanders; 04-19-2017 at 01:51 PM.
04-19-2017, 02:59 PM   #5910
Pentaxian

Whatever it is, I like it (and that goes for the developing too, I suppose).