Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-23-2017, 05:00 AM - 1 Like   #6091
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pixie Quote
B&W conversion of a shot posted in the 20mm club.
If this weren't a film forum I'd swear that's digital

06-23-2017, 02:39 PM - 2 Likes   #6092
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Some shots of NYC using Adox Silvermax processed as a positive by DR5 Chrome. (Pentax ME)

Phil.
06-23-2017, 02:52 PM   #6093
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by nickthetasmaniac Quote
If this weren't a film forum I'd swear that's digital
Ooops, put this in the wrong place, Im sorry.
06-23-2017, 05:15 PM   #6094
Pentaxian

All good, it's a lovely photo!

06-23-2017, 06:13 PM   #6095
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
Some shots of NYC using Adox Silvermax processed as a positive by DR5 Chrome. (Pentax ME)

Phil.
Read an interesting nytimes.com story about how Statue of Liberty ticket touts are competing for tourists even though only one tour company is authorized to land passengers there.
06-23-2017, 08:10 PM   #6096
Pentaxian

You wanted this thread, where the origin doesn't have to be film, though it may be:

Just Black and White-ur B/W Monochrome photos here - PentaxForums.com
06-24-2017, 08:32 AM - 3 Likes   #6097
Pentaxian

Really liking Tri-x in this workflow (my first roll in ~30-years)

SP, ST 50/1.4, lab scan

06-24-2017, 01:30 PM   #6098
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dsmithhfx Quote
Read an interesting nytimes.com story about how Statue of Liberty ticket touts are competing for tourists even though only one tour company is authorized to land passengers there.
Yeah you get swarmed when you exit the Battery Park subway stations. We had purchased the tickets online before we left Canada, so had to just show up at your specified time.

Phil.

06-24-2017, 02:11 PM - 2 Likes   #6099
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
What do you think of Adox? (Have you tried it as a regular negative film?)

I've been shooting a lot of left over Efke lately, which was based on older Adox formulas, and curious as to how the stuff currently sold under the name performs.

---------- Post added 2017-06-24 at 18:03 ----------

Was given this roll by my local shop to try out. The company that sells it is very tight-lipped about where it comes from, but based on the backing paper both the staff and myself assume that it's made by Ilford.* Given the speeds it comes in [100 & 400], my personal guess is it's probably the not-available-in-North-America Ilford Pan.

* Searching online turns up a number of complaints that point towards the 100 speed previously being Shanghai GP3, but it's definitely not that now.

The lens is uncoated, and this was shot wide-open towards the setting sun. Unsurprisingly, the results were a bit soft.

K.W. Pilot Super.
K.W. Anastigmat 7.5cm f3.5.
Ultrafine Xtreme 100.

Last edited by g026r; 06-24-2017 at 03:04 PM.
06-24-2017, 04:44 PM   #6100
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by g026r Quote
What do you think of Adox? (Have you tried it as a regular negative film?)

I've been shooting a lot of left over Efke lately, which was based on older Adox formulas, and curious as to how the stuff currently sold under the name performs.
Silvermax is not bad and yes I have had it processed by my local lab as a negative. However Adox has a special developing kit for this film and it would get better results than your local Lab. As a positive I have had better results in the past when developed by DR5 Chrome. This batch was not so good, not sure if the film was slightly "off" or it was their processing. (I have also had good results with Efke processed as a slide.)

I'm out of Adox Silvermax now and will be switching to Adox's version of Scala which is a true positive. There are more options for processing this film, including a few in Germany where it's made.

The best b&w slide film I have shot is still the discontinued Fomapan R100, truly a brilliant film and easier to scan.

Phil.

PS my home scans of the Silvermax slides are not that good and darker than the original, they don't do the film much justice. I'm pretty useless at scanning.
06-24-2017, 05:25 PM - 6 Likes   #6101
Veteran Member

A question for you guys: any recommendation on green filters to "sift" shots of foliage a bit better? I'm considering a #11 yellow-green as an all-arounder, but wonder if the variety of greens I get here in the Southern Appalachia's call for the #58 heavy artillery.

At any rate, a couple from my first roll of B&W earlier this spring:

Pentax 67
67 200/4
Ilford Delta 100

06-24-2017, 11:31 PM   #6102
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dsmithhfx Quote
Really liking Tri-x in this workflow (my first roll in ~30-years)

SP, ST 50/1.4, lab scan
Looks good. I'd shoot more Tri-X is it wasn't so difficult to get onto the reel and then get it flat for scanning. I don't understand why they can't use the same emulsion on a decent backing.

QuoteOriginally posted by g026r Quote
[/COLOR]Was given this roll by my local shop to try out. The company that sells it is very tight-lipped about where it comes from, but based on the backing paper both the staff and myself assume that it's made by Ilford.* Given the speeds it comes in [100 & 400], my personal guess is it's probably the not-available-in-North-America Ilford Pan.

* Searching online turns up a number of complaints that point towards the 100 speed previously being Shanghai GP3, but it's definitely not that now.

The lens is uncoated, and this was shot wide-open towards the setting sun. Unsurprisingly, the results were a bit soft.

K.W. Pilot Super.
K.W. Anastigmat 7.5cm f3.5.
Ultrafine Xtreme 100.
That looks good to me. Is Pan 100/400 available anywhere in 120? They were available here in Spain very briefly a couple of years ago but only in 135 - I tried a roll or two of the 100 and I liked it. My understanding is that it's FP4+/HP5+ which slightly failed the quality control process, which I can believe. They disappeared quickly and now we have the Kentmere cheapie options from Ilford instead, which I haven't tried but I understand are not as good, especially regards grain.
06-25-2017, 01:31 PM   #6103
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
Is Pan 100/400 available anywhere in 120? They were available here in Spain very briefly a couple of years ago but only in 135 - I tried a roll or two of the 100 and I liked it. My understanding is that it's FP4+/HP5+ which slightly failed the quality control process, which I can believe. They disappeared quickly and now we have the Kentmere cheapie options from Ilford instead, which I haven't tried but I understand are not as good, especially regards grain.
Not a clue. As far as I know it's never been officially sold in North America, so I only know of it in passing as opposed to ever having seen any.

(As for Kentmere: I know some people enjoy it, but I can't say I did. Far far too grainy for my taste.)
06-25-2017, 03:18 PM   #6104
Pentaxian

The rendering of the greenish hue variegations in those trillium leaves came out excellently. Keep doing that!

QuoteOriginally posted by CreationBear Quote
A question for you guys: any recommendation on green filters to "sift" shots of foliage a bit better? I'm considering a #11 yellow-green as an all-arounder, but wonder if the variety of greens I get here in the Southern Appalachia's call for the #58 heavy artillery.

At any rate, a couple from my first roll of B&W earlier this spring:

Pentax 67
67 200/4
Ilford Delta 100

06-25-2017, 06:03 PM   #6105
Veteran Member

Thanks! I always thought yellow trillium were a bit gaudy in color... As for filters, our vegetation here in the Smokies ranges from yellow-green birches and sycamores to "green-green" maple to the blue-green rhododendron and spruce, so it's a shame to have it submerged in the same tonal muddle.