Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-19-2017, 03:31 PM - 7 Likes   #6526
Pentaxian

GSW690III, PanF

Last edited by tuco; 11-20-2017 at 11:07 AM. Reason: Link
11-19-2017, 05:36 PM   #6527
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Hey tuco, for years I've heard great things about the Fuji 690 series rangefinders, and your photos give a clear indication as to why they're so highly thought of. But I'm curious. Have you ever had the occasion to compare yours with, say a Super Ikonta C or one of the Russian knockoffs of the C? I ask because I took the cheap way out about a year ago and bought a Moskva 5, a bit of a modernized take on the traditional C look that the Moskva 4s and earlier ones have. It seems to be a decent enough picture taker, although I haven't used it all that much yet. Like a couple rolls of Tri-X. I know Fuji's lenses are absolutely top-notch (great depth of field on that last shot), so I don't expect mine to compare all that well to yours, although I do believe that the Zeiss SI C would probably show better. Nonetheless, I'm just curious.
11-19-2017, 06:52 PM   #6528
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by cooltouch Quote
...Have you ever had the occasion to compare yours with, say a Super Ikonta C or one of the Russian knockoffs of the C?
Thanks. Sorry, my rangefinder experience is limited to this Fuji, a Mamiya 7II and a M9. So I can't comment on any of those cameras you mention. But I would like to have a folder one day.
11-20-2017, 07:00 AM   #6529
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
Thanks. Sorry, my rangefinder experience is limited to this Fuji, a Mamiya 7II and a M9. So I can't comment on any of those cameras you mention. But I would like to have a folder one day.
Is that Fuji one of those "Texas Leica"s?

11-20-2017, 07:24 AM   #6530
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by timw4mail Quote
Is that Fuji one of those "Texas Leica"s?
Yes indeed.
11-20-2017, 09:34 AM   #6531
Pentaxian

Yes indeed.
"Japanese Leica" shirley.
11-20-2017, 09:40 AM   #6532
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yes indeed.
QuoteOriginally posted by dsmithhfx Quote
"Japanese Leica" shirley.
Texas, referring to the size

I had the opportunity to see one of those in person recently, and was surprised at how light it is for its size. They really look like toy cameras with how big they are.
11-20-2017, 10:07 AM - 2 Likes   #6533
Pentaxian

Sorry for the color digital but here is mine. Other rangefinder formats (e.g. 6x7, 6x6) were not considered a Texas Leica because they were not 3:2 aspect ratio like the small format Leica. And 6x4.5 was not big enough by comparison for the Texas part.

11-20-2017, 10:18 AM   #6534
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It's cool that it has the winding lever, just like a 35mm camera
11-20-2017, 10:21 AM   #6535
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sorry for the color digital but here is mine. Other rangefinder formats (e.g. 6x7, 6x6) were not considered a Texas Leica because they were not 3:2 aspect ratio like the small format Leica. And 6x4.5 was not big enough by comparison for the Texas part.
Giddyup!
11-20-2017, 11:43 AM   #6536
Pentaxian

It's cool that it has the winding lever, just like a 35mm camera
Though the size of the negative does mean that they're two stroke advance.
11-20-2017, 12:13 PM - 3 Likes   #6537
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by g026r Quote
Though the size of the negative does mean that they're two stroke advance.
Yes and I still forget to perform the second stroke frequently. This camera has a built-in lens hood. And when the lens hood is in the stowed position, you can't see or access the shutter/aperture. One reviewer of this camera said that was negative feature because you can't put a stepper ring on it for filters.

To that I say it is not a negative feature and he missed something even more important. First, you have a built-in lens hood. Second, you only have one lens on this camera. It's no big deal to stock the right size filters. And finally something that out weights not being able use a stepper ring for me is that because you can't access the shutter speed until the lens hood is deployed, you never forget and leave the lens cap on.
11-21-2017, 01:11 AM   #6538
Pentaxian

Yes and I still forget to perform the second stroke frequently. This camera has a built-in lens hood. And when the lens hood is in the stowed position, you can't see or access the shutter/aperture. One reviewer of this camera said that was negative feature because you can't put a stepper ring on it for filters.

To that I say it is not a negative feature and he missed something even more important. First, you have a built-in lens hood. Second, you only have one lens on this camera. It's no big deal to stock the right size filters. And finally something that out weights not being able use a stepper ring for me is that because you can't access the shutter speed until the lens hood is deployed, you never forget and leave the lens cap on.
I agree that it seems like a good design decision for there to be a hood and for it to make the camera difficult to use without extending it.

It's a very handsome beast and you've shown it to be very capable. I'd love to get hold of one of these one day, but the ones I've seen have been way too far out of my price range.
11-21-2017, 02:02 AM   #6539
Pentaxian

Well, that settles it. Being a born and bred Texan, looks like a Texas Leica is in my future. But you're right, Jonathan. They are a mite spendy.

Last edited by cooltouch; 11-21-2017 at 02:10 AM.
11-21-2017, 02:11 AM   #6540
Pentaxian

Texas, referring to the size

I had the opportunity to see one of those in person recently, and was surprised at how light it is for its size. They really look like toy cameras with how big they are.
If a Fuji 6x9 rangefinder is a Texas Leica, my Koni-Omega Rapid M rangefinder must be an Alaska Leica, as it's 120 film back alone is close to the size of the Fuji.