01-14-2018, 01:41 AM   #6691
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by dsmithhfx Quote
Really like the first shot.
Thank you!

---------- Post added 01-14-18 at 09:50 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by g026r Quote
Here's a fun one: came in a plain yellow box with a white typewritten label on it advising to handle in low light. Inside of which was a plain black metal daylight-loading cassette with another white typewritten label. Both labels said only one thing about the emulsion inside: "Kodak SO-410," indicating it was a film only available as a special order.

The film leader offered the first clue as to what it was: baby blue, similar in shade to another emulsion Kodak had sold commercially but without that film's standard anti-halation layer. A bit of searching through old references confirmed it: Technical Pan, probably sold for scientific work and possibly pre-dating the adoption of the TechPan mark.

No idea on the age of this, as the box had no dates, but it's probably safe to assume that it was quite expired. Seems to have been well stored, as it turned out wonderfully with only about a stop extra exposure.
The next episode from The Fearless Darkroom! Turned out great.

01-14-2018, 03:46 AM   #6692
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by timw4mail Quote
Ask for some junk film from your lab, and practice with that first, especially with opening the canister, and spooling the film onto your reels.

If you still feel nervous, get some cheap somewhat-expired film, and use that roll for a bunch of throwaway shots, and use that as a test.

(And this discussion is making me ponder developing my own film too...like I did in high school)
Changing bag, Daylight loader and 100 foot of Forma 400 or Kentmere 400, you need to make mistakes and not repeat them again!
01-14-2018, 05:51 AM   #6693
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dsmithhfx Quote
Does the canon software do native grayscale?
Not sure - will have to experiment but I don't think so. There is a radio button for choosing 35mm film and the software automatically produces a positive image but in colour...
01-14-2018, 12:01 PM   #6694
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Box and cassette; not pictured is the plain aluminium cannister that stored the cassette inside the box. My guess is late-70s or early-80s.

I had actually forgotten that this box labelled it as photomicrography film. (The handle under low light was on the other side, perhaps? I forget precisely where it was, but clearly not on the label as I originally recalled.) I have a second box with the same SO-410 code and a label that indicates it as being for astronomical work.
If the film is for photomicrography, it might be especially good at picking up differences between the effects of certain common stains used to heighten the contrasts between different kinds of cellular tissue for examination under the microscope.

01-14-2018, 04:47 PM - 5 Likes   #6695
Veteran Member

OM2n, 85/2, XP2 @ 1600, Ilfotec HC, X1 scan:

01-15-2018, 08:26 PM   #6696
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
MX

MX by Benjamin Chan on 500px.com
Lens was an SMC Pentax-M 50mm F4 macro. I forget what camera, probably ME Super. Ilford HP5+ 400; Ilford HC, 1+31, 20 C, 6:30; scanned on an Epson V550.

---------- Post added 01-15-18 at 07:29 PM ----------

Box and cassette; not pictured is the plain aluminium cannister that stored the cassette inside the box. My guess is late-70s or early-80s.

I had actually forgotten that this box labelled it as photomicrography film. (The handle under low light was on the other side, perhaps? I forget precisely where it was, but clearly not on the label as I originally recalled.) I have a second box with the same SO-410 code and a label that indicates it as being for astronomical work.
How did you even come across these?
01-16-2018, 09:16 AM   #6697
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by murrelet Quote
How did you even come across these?
A lot of my stranger stuff comes from one guy who shows up at the local camera shows and mainly deals in old film.

However, this particular box was just a lucky find at a flea market. A seller without any other photography gear had it sitting out with some other odds & ends, and perhaps more surprisingly didn't think he had the equivalent of solid gold when I asked about the price.

(Which is always the problem with browsing for stuff at flea markets & yard sales: so many people work off of a mindset of "It's old, therefore it must be worth a lot" when it comes to valuation.)

01-16-2018, 09:21 AM   #6698
Pentaxian

(Which is always the problem with browsing for stuff at flea markets & yard sales: so many people work off of a mindset of "It's old, therefore it must be worth a lot" when it comes to valuation.)
Sometimes you get the benefit of the opposite train of thought: "It's old, therefore it must be junk"

I recently got a K1000 off of Shopgoodwill for ~ $30 with two lenses, bag, and screw-on timer. Considering those generally go for ~$70 for the body and A 50/2, I got a steal. I guess it does help that the auction images were of a Miranda Fv...
01-16-2018, 11:02 AM   #6699
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Here's a fun one: came in a plain yellow box with a white typewritten label on it advising to handle in low light. Inside of which was a plain black metal daylight-loading cassette with another white typewritten label. Both labels said only one thing about the emulsion inside: "Kodak SO-410," indicating it was a film only available as a special order.
I Googled "Kodak SO-410". It was apparently one of a family of extreme-fine-grain specialty products that was eventually superseded by Technical Pan (2415) and may be the same emulsion. It is sobering to consider the full breadth of emulsions that were made for consumer, industrial, and scientific/medical purposes in the past. I wonder how many survive.

Steve
01-16-2018, 11:03 AM   #6700
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by timw4mail Quote
I guess it does help that the auction images were of a Miranda Fv...
I would have been disappointed at not getting the Miranda

Steve
01-16-2018, 11:06 AM   #6701
Veteran Member

I've had good luck buying from thrift (second hand) store, but not so much Goodwill. I think the Goodwill stores are now putting their best stuff online at shopgoodwill.com.

So far, I've picked up a Pentax SF1 w/35-70 lens on shopgoodwill.com for really cheap -- like $20 or so. But I also bought two other SF1s from shopgoodwill.com that were junk, although one came with a nice Pentax 35-70 lens, so all was not for naught.. From the thrift store, I've scored a minty Pentax ZX-7 with 28-80 FA lens for about $25, and a minty Nikon N80 with 50mm f/1.8 for $24 from the same thrift store. I've bought a Pentax Spotmatic with 55/1.8 lens from them for $12, and a Zeiss Ikonta (6x6) with the late coated lens and synchro compur shutter for $3.

Results are good enough such that I drop in there on a fairly regular basis.
01-16-2018, 12:01 PM   #6702
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Things I have been most interested in at Shopgoodwill usually seem to have considerably higher shipping-and-handling fees than for the same item (or for an item of similar size, weight, fragility) on ebay. Consequently I only look on their website now and then. It gets frustrating when something that looks like a great bargain suddenly isn't at all any longer once you have clicked to get the shipping cost estimate. A few of the Goodwill locations do have more reasonable shipping charges, so I guess I should keep track of which ones they are and only search their offerings that show on the website.

QuoteOriginally posted by cooltouch Quote
I've had good luck buying from thrift (second hand) store, but not so much Goodwill. I think the Goodwill stores are now putting their best stuff online at shopgoodwill.com.

So far, I've picked up a Pentax SF1 w/35-70 lens on shopgoodwill.com for really cheap -- like $20 or so. But I also bought two other SF1s from shopgoodwill.com that were junk, although one came with a nice Pentax 35-70 lens, so all was not for naught.. From the thrift store, I've scored a minty Pentax ZX-7 with 28-80 FA lens for about $25, and a minty Nikon N80 with 50mm f/1.8 for $24 from the same thrift store. I've bought a Pentax Spotmatic with 55/1.8 lens from them for $12, and a Zeiss Ikonta (6x6) with the late coated lens and synchro compur shutter for $3.

Results are good enough such that I drop in there on a fairly regular basis.
01-16-2018, 12:34 PM   #6703
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I would have been disappointed at not getting the Miranda

Steve
I was slightly disappointed, but the K1000 is in great shape, and I paid a lot less than the going rate.

Incidentally I did win a different Miranda Fv...
01-17-2018, 06:10 AM - 1 Like   #6704
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by goatsNdonkey Quote
Things I have been most interested in at Shopgoodwill usually seem to have considerably higher shipping-and-handling fees than for the same item (or for an item of similar size, weight, fragility) on ebay. Consequently I only look on their website now and then. It gets frustrating when something that looks like a great bargain suddenly isn't at all any longer once you have clicked to get the shipping cost estimate. A few of the Goodwill locations do have more reasonable shipping charges, so I guess I should keep track of which ones they are and only search their offerings that show on the website.
I have noticed this same thing. But I've also noticed in recent months that they've gotten a bit better wrt their pricing, such that most of the time I'm seeing shipping charges in the $10-12 range, often less. This amount I can put up with. As an eBay seller, I know how it is often difficult to get shipping prices below $10, and I typically use USPS for shipping, which for me is the cheapest method.
01-17-2018, 10:13 AM - 5 Likes   #6705
Pentaxian

Having a bit of fun with the Canon A-1 and FDn 50/1.2 ... the film is Kodak UltraMax 400 color film developed as B&W with Ilfotec @ 15 minutes ... the first 3 are definitely wide open.