Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-24-2018, 06:15 PM   #7126
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by CreationBear Quote
you had a lot of stars in alignment
Oh, I am well aware of that! One don't get too many like that!

05-24-2018, 07:27 PM   #7127
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cooltouch Quote
But one thing that's always bothered me is reading about members sending their B&W film out for developing, and then often bemoaning the quality of the service they've received. This just doesn't make sense to me.
It makes sense to do your own processing if you have a place to do it without the flow being disrupted by children, chores, pets, and work. It also depends on reasonable quality tap water. That being said, part of the complaint about B&W processing is that most of the places that provide this service are pro labs and charge a premium for the service. The comment above regarding Citizens in Portland puzzles me in that they built their reputation on their sophisticated Refrema dip 'n dunk system that could handle everything from 8mm up to 8x10 sheet film. I suspect that they no longer have that machine after two moves in the last decade and may be using small tanks for 35mm.

Steve
05-24-2018, 08:21 PM   #7128
Pentaxian

... So, really, I just don't see why everyone doesn't do it. Yes, a minimal investment is involved. Somewhere in the neighborhood of $100, often less. But this is the initial outlay. And it can often be much less, if one is willing to buy used gear. ...
I'd guess those who want to post online scanning is an issue. It is yet something else to get good at plus it can be a lot of work and a good scanner is not cheap. The tonal scale on a lot of photos here could be really improved with a better scanning workflow.
05-24-2018, 08:33 PM - 6 Likes   #7129
Pentaxian

A 400TMY version of the lone tree. I posted a different take of it with Retro 80S in the medium format section. I got to this area of the dunes too late. There is little hope of capturing any sand texture this late of a sunny day. To place the tree at zone 3 it pushed the sand above zone 8.

GX617, Orange Filter

05-25-2018, 06:25 AM - 2 Likes   #7130
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by chickentender Quote
Indeed. That's the first roll and the lab botched the processing a bit but overall I think the stuff is absolutely gorgeous. Incredibly contrasty but still has some "bite" to the "cream".
One of the chattier devs at my local lab — the guy who winds up doing all the really strange rolls I drop off — once commented to me that he's fairly certain that Ferrania's dev sheet for the film results in slightly underdeveloped negatives.

But yeah, contrasty as all get out.

---------- Post added 2018-05-25 at 09:41 ----------

Pentax K2.
Probably an Adaptall-2 28mm f2.5.
(The results don't quite look like it to me, but I can't see myself having used any other lens here.)
Kodak Tri-X.

Last edited by g026r; 05-25-2018 at 06:42 AM.
05-25-2018, 10:12 AM   #7131
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by g026r Quote
One of the chattier devs at my local lab — the guy who winds up doing all the really strange rolls I drop off — once commented to me that he's fairly certain that Ferrania's dev sheet for the film results in slightly underdeveloped negatives.

Interesting. I'll keep that in mind. I think I'm finally going to dip my own B&W again here pretty soon. Been putting it off too long now.

---------- Post added 05-25-18 at 10:25 AM ----------

I really enjoy this little segment of Pentax Forums -- this one ongoing thread on the topic of B&W film. But one thing that's always bothered me is reading about members sending their B&W film out for developing, and then often bemoaning the quality of the service they've received. This just doesn't make sense to me. I've been developing my own B&W almost as long as I've been a photographer, and I've been doing it for as long as I've been shooting B&W.
I've dev'd my own long ago but have not in the past 6 or so years I began shooting film again. I could give you a detailed response as to why, myriad reasons from the past couple years, but that would be boring. Without going into those details, the short is I've used a just-down-the-street trusted lab run by a couple great folks I enjoyed giving business to and had a working relationship with. However since our move that lab is now very far away and this was the first I'd sent off to another lab I've used a handful of times (one that has done E6 and C41 to perfection in times past).... the result of which has led a friend to donate some home dev bits and bobs when I can visit him 2 hours south.

The point is - as easy and no-brainer as it may seem, I'm not sure you need to feel "bothered". Not necessarily myself, but some simply enjoy spending time elsewhere, or simply don't enjoy it (I could name one or two here)... Some have not yet learned. Some do not have the time or space. I generally agree with you, that there is far more benefit to doing so than not in the long run.

*Edit* A bit funny: the first portion of my reply above was written before I'd read your post and replied in the second. Serendipitous. Thanks for providing your guide btw! It may well deserve it's own post, here or in the dev/processing subforum as well.

---------- Post added 05-25-18 at 10:37 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
The comment above regarding Citizens in Portland puzzles me in that they built their reputation on their sophisticated Refrema dip 'n dunk system that could handle everything from 8mm up to 8x10 sheet film. I suspect that they no longer have that machine after two moves in the last decade and may be using small tanks for 35mm.
I'd only ever heard great things about Citizens and overall I still intend to send them rolls now and again because of the 5 or 6 orders I've posted off to them they've generally been great, both quality and price. Oddly, considering what you've just written, the only problems I've had in the past has been B&W, each and every time. The last was an issue with a new archival wash they'd been using (however they'd employed it, it created very significant spotting issues that required me to rewash each roll), but the last wasn't related to that. In any event though, Greg's been awesome each time.

---------- Post added 05-25-18 at 10:49 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
I'd guess those who want to post online scanning is an issue. It is yet something else to get good at plus it can be a lot of work and a good scanner is not cheap. The tonal scale on a lot of photos here could be really improved with a better scanning workflow.
I would agree heartily with this. Becoming semi-proficient at quality scans at home was, in my experience, a far more tedious and costly process than home film-dev'ing could ever hope to be, at least at the onset. And this again is part of the appeal of the pro-lab, albeit at a price. But many of the less-costly scan packages often just employ whatever auto-leveling auto-sharpening that lab's scanning software has to offer. You've not much to work with in digital post from any of these scans, but if done reasonably well they're plenty good enough for online posting.

Last edited by chickentender; 05-25-2018 at 10:29 AM.
05-25-2018, 12:56 PM - 8 Likes   #7132
Pentaxian

Florence, Oregon, at a low tide
FP4+

05-25-2018, 01:40 PM   #7133
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
One of the things that holds back my home development is a frequent inability to get water below 23C in my house without icing it down, which is a hassle.

Really cuts down on the 4*5 use 🙂

-Eric

05-25-2018, 02:36 PM   #7134
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote
One of the things that holds back my home development is a frequent inability to get water below 23C in my house without icing it down, which is a hassle.

Really cuts down on the 4*5 use ��

-Eric
If you can get your hands on some Diafine Developer, that wouldn't be a problem. It is a two-bath developer that advertises the same development time for a temperature range of 70-85F (21-29.5C)
05-25-2018, 05:24 PM   #7135
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
I find myself very much in agreement with you, especially your last sentence. Yes, it takes practice -- but not that much if you know what you're after. And yes, a good scanner helps things greatly. But you know, you don't need to buy the latest and greatest to get great B&W scans or color ones with larger film sizes. I was getting very good ones with my first flatbed -- an Epson 3170, which I bought new back in about 2000 or 2001, It did an especially nice job with medium format-sized negatives and slides. You can probably find the 3170 nowadays for $50 or less. The next model in that line Epson made was the 3200 -- ditto about it. My next scanner was an Epson 4990, which I bought used for $200. This scanner was Epson's top-of-the-line prior to the introduction of the V7xx series. Sure was a LOT cheaper and gave up very little on the performance end of things. Epson's top scanner just prior to the 4990 was the 4870, also a very capable scanner, and one that folks could probably find for relatively cheap now.

I bought my 4990 back in -- geez, probably 2008 or so? It is still an excellent scanner, especially for medium and large format -- it will handle all sizes of medium format -- well, maybe not the ultra wide stuff with the stock film holder. And it does 4x5. One can cut a special holder, and it will even scan 8x10. Which means that one can cut a special holder and it'll even scan the ultra wide medium format stuff. The 4990 is still my current flatbed scanner and I use it for all my medium format chores. For 35mm, I find it does a decent job, but I've always been after getting everything I can possibly get out of a 35mm slide or negative so I shoot dupes of my 35mm film nowadays with my Sony NEX 7 and a dupe rig I've cobbled together for that purpose.

So anyway, if you shop around some and read the old reviews that are still online -- or even better, ask around -- you can save a LOT of money if you're willing to buy used. And you won't be having to give up anything when it comes to performance, either.

---------- Post added 05-25-18 at 07:29 PM ----------

Where I live, much of the year, my tap water's temp is higher than 23C, often significantly so.

The only B&W film developer I've ever used is Kodak's D-76. 23C is well within D-76's normal range of operating temperatures.
05-25-2018, 06:24 PM - 1 Like   #7136
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by g026r Quote
I was discussing P60 with one of the sales people at Blue Moon Camera today and his evaluation after taking part in evaluating the early P60 runs was that it covers zones three through eight. :P

Steve
05-26-2018, 11:20 AM - 4 Likes   #7137
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A bit of cliche' a la spring...

H3v | ST 55/1.8 | TMax100 push+2

Last edited by chickentender; 06-08-2018 at 02:22 PM. Reason: broken link
05-28-2018, 01:27 AM - 3 Likes   #7138
Pentaxian

Yesterday I knuckled down and did some scanning, though I only got through one roll of January's trip to Italy. I abandoned the Epson film holders and used the Lomography one, which holds film much flatter but means images need to be scanned one-by-one. It does seem to yield sharper results though. I left the borders on some of them where I felt they added something to the image.

All taken with the MX, Ilford Delta 400, scanned with Epson V500.

Italy MX Delta 400 037b
by Jonathan MacDonald, on Flickr

Italy MX Delta 400 043a

Italy MX Delta 400 047a
05-28-2018, 10:23 AM - 1 Like   #7139
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

-Eric
This has always been an issue for me here in Florida. At my wife's insistence I purchased my own apartment size refrigerator. She got tired of our refrigerator being 1/3 full of my film, and on days I was developing, my bottles and glass ware of developer.
05-28-2018, 12:00 PM - 5 Likes   #7140
Pentaxian

I recently pulled out my grandfather's old Pentax MX, and shot a roll of expired Kodak TMAX 100.

Pentax MX
SMC Pentax-M 100/2.8
Expired Kodak TMAX 100
Epson V750-M Pro