08-22-2018, 05:53 PM   #7516
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by shadowjester Quote
K1000 on HP5+ @ 400EI w/M50 1:1.7
My kind of shot - nicely done

---------- Post added 08-22-18 at 08:55 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by g026r Quote
Thanks. I'd say it was skill, but that was really more pure luck as I didn't have time to meter that one.
Cheers! I also live by this kind of honesty... sometimes we all get good shots by "luck" rather than precision or "skill". It is good to acknowledge when this happens, I believe.

08-22-2018, 09:51 PM - 3 Likes   #7517
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Marilyn in "Gentlemen Prefer Blondes" (KX & K55/1.8, shooting Kodak PLUS-X Pan)

Phil.
08-23-2018, 03:38 AM   #7518
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
Marilyn in "Gentlemen Prefer Blondes" (KX & K55/1.8, shooting Kodak PLUS-X Pan)

Phil.
Hooray for CRT! VHS?
08-23-2018, 10:31 AM - 1 Like   #7519
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dsmithhfx Quote
Hooray for CRT! VHS?
Yep the good old days of 4:3 CRT TV!

I took the picture in the early 1980's, from a live TV broadcast. I have other shots on the same roll of "Leave it to Beaver", but not sure if anyone knows who he is any longer?

Phil.

08-24-2018, 02:30 AM - 7 Likes   #7520

Took the Mess-Baldix to Leeds the other day. Ideal 6x6 pocket camera! Baltar f4.5 75mm lens, f8 1/100 second; Ilford Delta 400; DD-X 1+4, 8' 15" @ 19.5 C. Four inversions immediately then four in the first ten secs of each subsequent minute.

08-24-2018, 06:30 AM   #7521
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Russell W. Barnes Quote
Took the Mess-Baldix to Leeds the other day. Ideal 6x6 pocket camera! Baltar f4.5 75mm lens, f8 1/100 second; Ilford Delta 400; DD-X 1+4, 8' 15" @ 19.5 C. Four inversions immediately then four in the first ten secs of each subsequent minute.

Nice image with almost no grain and great tones. Looks like good scanning.
08-24-2018, 07:53 AM   #7522

Thanks, Jonathan. I didn't actually scan it, but photographed the neg with a Sony RX100 II in RAW, 100ISO and on manual focus. The Sony was on a tripod and levelled with a spirit level and the neg was behind a stiff cardboard mask on my light-box beneath.

I'm thinking of getting a 120 neg scanner but by way of experiment, scanned a 120 neg on my Epson ET2500 with an incandescent lamp suspended above it. It sort of came out OK but on enlarging the image, I observed horizontal variations in luminance! Perhaps a proper scanner would be best?

08-24-2018, 10:09 AM   #7523
Pentaxian

...I didn't actually scan it, but photographed the neg with a Sony RX100 II in RAW, 100ISO and on manual focus. The Sony was on a tripod and levelled with a spirit level and the neg was behind a stiff cardboard mask on my light-box beneath.
The process did a good job of preserving the nuance and tonality of the film instead of converting it to some digital camera ISO gray scale standard or something. Not seeing grain with 400 film on images this size with medium format is typical.
08-24-2018, 11:46 AM - 6 Likes   #7524
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Life Is Good

What could be better than being at the beach in summer with a classic old pickup.
Pentax Spotmatic SF
Pentax Super-Takumar 55mm f/1.8
T-Max 400
Kodak T-Max Developer 1:4 7 Minutes
Pacific Image Prime Film XA Slide & Negative Scanner

08-24-2018, 12:16 PM   #7525

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
'Not seeing grain with 400 film on images this size with medium format is typical.'
I was impressed with lack of grain on 120 ISO400 film. I suppose Ilford Delta 400 in Ilfotec DD-X is a good combination in that regard. I've only shot Delta 100 and 400 on the Baldix, but shall be trying some other 120 stuff (Fomapan, Rollei) in due course, with Rodinal, which I also want to try. Just to see what it's like.
08-24-2018, 12:54 PM   #7526
Pentaxian

I was impressed with lack of grain on 120 ISO400 film. I suppose Ilford Delta 400 in Ilfotec DD-X is a good combination in that regard. I've only shot Delta 100 and 400 on the Baldix, but shall be trying some other 120 stuff (Fomapan, Rollei) in due course, with Rodinal, which I also want to try. Just to see what it's like.
Also, Delta 400 is a newer tabular grain film. Less grain for more ISO as was advertised back when these films were introduced.
08-24-2018, 09:57 PM   #7527
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
One more Fomapan 200 via Caffenol CH ... ME Super + M 20/4 ... x-post

If I might scroll back a couple of pages . . .

Jean, a couple of questions about this shot. I've never used Caffenol before, but I'd like to try it. Your image shows excellent contrast. Is this the way the reversed negative looks, or did you have to dial in some contrast in post processing? Do you use a prepared product, or do you "brew" your own caffenol?
08-24-2018, 11:30 PM   #7528
Pentaxian

Thanks, Jonathan. I didn't actually scan it, but photographed the neg with a Sony RX100 II in RAW, 100ISO and on manual focus. The Sony was on a tripod and levelled with a spirit level and the neg was behind a stiff cardboard mask on my light-box beneath.

I'm thinking of getting a 120 neg scanner but by way of experiment, scanned a 120 neg on my Epson ET2500 with an incandescent lamp suspended above it. It sort of came out OK but on enlarging the image, I observed horizontal variations in luminance! Perhaps a proper scanner would be best?
Don't be fooled - negative scanners will do a substantially poorer job than a negative photographed with a good digital camera and processed well. I underlined that last part because this is not easy to do, even with some B&W negatives. Colour ones are at least an order of magnitude harder due to the orange mask. But if you can get the tones/colours right then a photographed negative will provide far sharper, more detailed images than a negative scanner.

I need to get my act together and work on doing this better but mostly what I'm missing are the skills and knowledge in post-processing the raw files using the software I have as most of what's out there is for photoshop.
08-25-2018, 12:56 AM   #7529

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote

'I need to get my act together and work on doing this better but mostly what I'm missing are the skills and knowledge in post-processing the raw files using the software I have as most of what's out there is for photoshop.'
Well, I did wonder about this and it would be an expensive white elephant if I bought a scanner and wasn't happy with it. I've mentioned elsewhere that my next plan is to get some extension tubes so I can use my Canon EOS 5D and 40mm prime lens in a similar fashion to the Sony. Whether I get better results from my ancient 5D Mk:1 is another matter.

I use Photoshop 7 to invert the neg image and, if necessary, adjust the histogram before reducing the image size for Flickr or wherever. But Irfanview doesn't do a bad job and it's free.

I don't have a darkroom - yet - so I can only develop with my changing bag, and my second-generation (first digital) image must come from the neg and not a print. We used to have a works club darkroom and I used to do my own printing, but that's long gone. I'm trying to whip up interest amongst the young 'uns at work, who are curious about film and who like the 'retro' look of Spotmatics and whatnot to get another going.
08-25-2018, 08:04 AM - 3 Likes   #7530
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

More Summer Fun

For the kids this time.
Pentax MZ-S
SMC Pentax-F 100mm F2.8 Macro
Kodak T-Max 100
T-Max Developer 1:4 7 Minutes
f/5.6 1/1000 ASA 100
Pacific Image Prime Film XA Slide & Negative Scanner