Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-19-2018, 09:11 AM   #7771
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dsmithhfx Quote
Assuming you do have access to a c41 lab, it's unclear to me what the advantage is in b+w dev, since you can easily convert color neg scans to monochrome with control over channel mix.
Yeah, you have a point, but I like to experiment and goof about.

I had a small box of relatively recent color film gifted to me, so I took stab at this with Caffenol since I am doing all my B&W development at home. The biggest expense in Caffenol is the Vitamin C and my wife likes the lesser "ecological footprint" of Caffenol ... once I explained the ingredients to her.

Plus, I am a cheapskate and don't like taking my color film to a lab, maybe just once and a while ... so, just B&W film for me. The color bit is for the K-1 & company.

11-19-2018, 09:18 AM   #7772
Pentaxian

@JCDoss, I don't doubt you already knew that, but I was hoping there was some special **magic** that makes it worth doing, not apparent in the posted pics.

QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
I like to experiment and goof about
Fair enough.

I am a cheapskate [...] K-1
11-19-2018, 09:23 AM   #7773
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by abruzzi Quote
printing in a darkroom would be the primary benefit. Maybe also cheap black and white film for home development--the cheapest roll of B&W film on B&H is $3.49 (Kentmere 400, 24exp), the cheapest color is $2.79 (Fuji Superia 400, 24exp)....
Just FYI, doing a B&W print from a color negative developed as B&W is not easy. I did this a while back in my old film club. Very time consuming overall.

The color film base is a darkish brown or red-brown (not nearly clear like B&W) that makes for very long exposure times and getting "good" contrast is (was then) a challenge. Not that it's impossible, just more of a pain.

I scanned those last UltraMax images with my Epson V600 as "color negatives" because they come out better as opposed to scanning them as B&W negatives ... then just my tweaks in Lr4.4.

I have just started with a new, different photo club, and there are some photags that have done color development in the club's darkroom. I hope to convince one to show me how to do it ... that would be fun.

Cheers, J
11-19-2018, 10:09 AM   #7774
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I used to hate printing color negs as B&W.

That orange color base on some films is about the same color as the safelight, so getting good results was a pain unless you used the special paper (then no safelight).

Man, hate is about the right word. I thought I’d blocked those memories

-Eric

11-19-2018, 11:04 AM   #7775
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote

That orange color base on some films is about the same color as the safelight, so getting good results was a pain unless you used the special paper (then no safelight).

-Eric
Since B&W paper is usually orthochromatic, not panchromatic, printing color negative on B&W paper should look very off, or could liik fine, depending on the color content of the image.

I didn't know there was a remaining stain on the base--I've never actually tried it--that could make it hard to get enough contrast. The only "cross processing" I've tried was C41 B&W negative in E6 for B&W positives.
11-19-2018, 11:10 AM - 4 Likes   #7776
Veteran Member

And now, back to some photos. Two photos from our Dia de las Muertos festival. Nikon F2, Nikkor-Q 135/2.5, Kodak Tri-X, Xtol.

(cross-posted from the film challenge group)

11-19-2018, 06:18 PM - 4 Likes   #7777
Veteran Member

Topcon 35-L / Topcor 4.4cm f/2
Eastman 5302 (1972) shot at 1.2 ASA for 3:25 minutes
Developed in Agfa Rondinax with Rodinal 1+50 for 11 minutes at 18.5C

11-20-2018, 03:47 PM - 3 Likes   #7778
Pentaxian

MONA again

Olympus 35RD and HP5+

11-21-2018, 02:38 PM - 2 Likes   #7779
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
A couple from Halloween just processed: Leica M4, Voigtlander 40mm f/1.4, HP5+:

11-22-2018, 02:36 AM   #7780
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote

-Eric
I remember using the special paper a bit. It was called Panalure. I thought it was pretty nasty stuff in terms of tonal rendition. I've no idea whether anything like it as around now. Here is a link to info:

Black and White Paper Zone-KODAK - PANALURE SELECT RC
11-22-2018, 03:10 AM   #7781
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by John Poirier Quote
I remember using the special paper a bit. It was called Panalure. I thought it was pretty nasty stuff in terms of tonal rendition. I've no idea whether anything like it as around now. Here is a link to info:

Black and White Paper Zone-KODAK - PANALURE SELECT RC
I tried it. I remember it was really tough getting any kind of contrast out of it.
11-22-2018, 04:21 AM   #7782
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by dsmithhfx Quote
Assuming you do have access to a c41 lab, it's unclear to me what the advantage is in b+w dev, since you can easily convert color neg scans to monochrome with control over channel mix.
Fun experimenting?
11-22-2018, 04:45 AM - 10 Likes   #7783
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

OK - not PENTAX but i took these on my 2002 Hasselblad 501CM + A16 back+ 50mm f4 CFi Distagon and 2007 dated Ilford XP2 400 Super at the 'Shrouds of The Somme' display in the London Olympic Park, Stratford. It was very moving-- over 72.000 figures each hand-crafted over 5 years to represent those British Soldiers killed in WW1 at The Somme and who have no known Grave. Hundreds of people silently filed past ---

11-22-2018, 04:52 AM   #7784
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxpete Quote
OK - not PENTAX but i took these on my 2002 Hasselblad 501CM + A16 back+ 50mm f4 CFi Distagon and 2007 dated Ilford XP2 400 Super at the 'Shrouds of The Somme' display in the London Olympic Park, Stratford. It was very moving-- over 72.000 figures each hand-crafted over 5 years to represent those British Soldiers killed in WW1 at The Somme and who have no known Grave. Hundreds of people silently filed past ---

Excellent photos and very moving. K.
11-22-2018, 01:18 PM - 1 Like   #7785
Pentaxian

Just FYI, doing a B&W print from a color negative developed as B&W is not easy. I did this a while back in my old film club. Very time consuming overall.
I've made BW prints from color negatives using special paper for that purpose and found it to be just like making a BW RC print from a BW negative. I think it was Kodak's Panalure paper but I'm not sure.