Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-26-2019, 12:24 PM   #8101
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by abruzzi Quote
Firstcall in the uk sell dx stickers. They’re shipping outside the uk is kind of high so I’ve never tried them.
When I saw them them probably >10-years ago, they were at some outfit that sold bulk film and reloadable cassettes.

03-26-2019, 05:56 PM - 1 Like   #8102
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Martin KP Quote
I know this isn't strictly film but need some advice. This is a digital film simulation. I used an LUT I found called Fuji Xtrans III - mono:- Fuji Film Simulation Profiles – Stuart Sowerby . I added in some Perlin and noise. Do you like this grain? if not what grain do you like in your photos? Although LUTs change tone, they don't contain grain information. The only way to get grain is to take a picture of a grey card and record the grain in a scan or picture. Any ideas?
My chickens like that kind of grain.
03-26-2019, 07:14 PM   #8103
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Martin KP Quote
I know this isn't strictly film but need some advice. This is a digital film simulation. I used an LUT I found called Fuji Xtrans III - mono:- Fuji Film Simulation Profiles – Stuart Sowerby . I added in some Perlin and noise. Do you like this grain? if not what grain do you like in your photos? Although LUTs change tone, they don't contain grain information. The only way to get grain is to take a picture of a grey card and record the grain in a scan or picture. Any ideas?
So there's grain on the grain?

The only grain I like is 'real' film grain from an emulsion. Personally I feel ambivalent about film simulations and adding grain in post processing. Also the term 'LUT' (look up table) was new to me - learn something new every day right? I've never done colour grading. (What is a LUT?)
Anyway looking at the photo, in my opinion the effect is obviously noise rather than grain. I don't know what tool you use for post processing however I remember that Lightroom (at least up to version 5.x) offers a grain tool in the develop tab. I played with that briefly years ago and recall that it looked more 'natural' than digital noise. As the North Americans tend to say, YMMV.
03-26-2019, 07:42 PM - 9 Likes   #8104
Pentaxian

A setup I did last year with an extension tube on my 500C/M. It was a selective focus of course. But here I tried for more in focus.

4x5, Symmar-S 180/5.6, RPX 25, Rodinal 1+50

Last edited by tuco; 03-27-2019 at 02:38 PM. Reason: New Version
03-26-2019, 10:51 PM - 1 Like   #8105
Pentaxian

I make my own DX labels using normal white paper and tin foil. It's very easy to do, you just need to look up the DX codes for the ISO you want. I use them in the P30, but could also do so in the various film compacts I own.
03-27-2019, 09:22 AM   #8106
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
I did see instructions online for making your own dx labels (also handy if you want to push the film in a point and shoot like my Yashica Super T4 or Olympus Stylus.

DIY Film DX Code Labels: 4 Steps (with Pictures)

---------- Post added 26th Mar 2019 at 11:13 ----------

i have regularly scratched away coding to change speed ..r
Merci ... and thanks to all for the input.

I never thought about scratching away some paint (good one there) ... and the home-made stickers are do-able for me as well.

I checked out Firstcall and the postage is not that expensive if I were to buy several different sheets and hopefully re-use them. Firstcall DX Recoder Labels, ISO 3200 - Bulk B & W Film - Firstcall Photographic Ltd

I am cheap, so paint scratching fits well into my budget ...

Salut, J
03-27-2019, 11:31 AM - 8 Likes   #8107

Photos: Gallery
Balda Mess-Baldix, Baltar 54.5 7fmm lens; Fomapan 400 Action in Rodinal 1+50 for eleven minutes. Inverted for the first minute then one inversion every thirty seconds afterwards.

03-27-2019, 02:01 PM   #8108
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
A setup I did last year with an extension tube on my 500C/M. It was a selective focus of course. But here I tried for more in focus.

4x5, Symmar-S 180/5.6, RPX 25, Rodinal 1+50

Dang, that's lovely tuco! Love the gradient and the composition. Must have been fun to do the tilting for this. I've been shooting a bunch of 4x5 lately, good fun.
03-27-2019, 02:33 PM   #8109
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bobbotron Quote
Dang, that's lovely tuco! Love the gradient and the composition. Must have been fun to do the tilting for this. I've been shooting a bunch of 4x5 lately, good fun.
Thanks. I just replaced it with a new and improved version.
03-27-2019, 07:09 PM   #8110
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Russell W. Barnes Quote
Balda Mess-Baldix, Baltar 54.5 7fmm lens; Fomapan 400 Action in Rodinal 1+50 for eleven minutes. Inverted for the first minute then one inversion every thirty seconds afterwards.
Yay for Balda photos, they look good.
What is the scene in that first photo? Something to do with a power station perhaps?
03-27-2019, 07:11 PM - 7 Likes   #8111
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Beach Art...

T-Max 400 (K2DMD & FA200/2.8)

Phil.
03-28-2019, 02:20 AM - 2 Likes   #8112

QuoteOriginally posted by goddo31 Quote
Yay for Balda photos, they look good.
Thanks. I have another Baldix, the one with no rangefinder and an Ennagon f3.5 lens which I reckon is slightly better around the edges. Incidentally, I appear to have got my f's and 5's mixed up!

QuoteOriginally posted by goddo31 Quote
What is the scene in that first photo? Something to do with a power station perhaps?
I'm a radio transmitter engineer and the pic is part of the high voltage smoothing enclosure that provides the 26kV d.c. supply for a 300kW shortwave transmitter. 11kV comes in off the mains, is rectified and smoothed with those capacitors there, and the choke at the back, and is protected, in the event of an overload, by what is effectively a big flashgun thyristor circuit: the unit with the incubator lamp - and cobwebs! - on it.

Sort of like the wall-wart to your laptop. But bigger...

A fault initiates a pulse which applies a 1us pulse to a thyristor, which in turn triggers a mercury-filled ignitron, which is held closed by a further 130ms 'sustain' pulse, and which dumps the 26kV stored energy in the capacitors down to deck via a resistor and, at the same time, opens the vacuum switches to remove the supply. I actually built a test-jig for the ignitron pulse unit with a flashtube from a disposable camera as it was easier - and cheaper - to detect a 1us pulse than haul a storage 'scope around with me.

Sorry - getting carried away a bit here...

Last edited by Russell W. Barnes; 03-28-2019 at 02:25 AM.
03-28-2019, 01:46 PM - 1 Like   #8113
Pentaxian

Sorry - getting carried away a bit here...
love it - its like a foreign language - I can hear it or read it but have absolutely zero comprehension.
03-28-2019, 02:34 PM   #8114
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Russell W. Barnes Quote
That's one of those devilish machines that uses reverse Polish logic, isn't it? We had a HP machine at school back in '74 and it was the first calculator I'd ever seen.
QuoteOriginally posted by officiousbystander Quote
Didn't they cost around 200 dollars back then? That could be the equivalent of a top of the range iPhone today.
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
Yeah, a RPN calculator. I thought all calculators would be that way eventually. It's so much faster once you get use to it at the time.

That's about right. They were expensive. You could get a Texas Instrument TI-51 for something like $25 bucks, IIRC.
I had, and still have, the Texas Instruments equivalent that I used in College in the '78 to '81...the TI-58 Programmable...$150?
03-28-2019, 02:53 PM   #8115
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Arjay Bee Quote
love it - its like a foreign language - I can hear it or read it but have absolutely zero comprehension.
Good to hear you say that. I thought it was my English...
Very interesting shots anyway!