Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by drmoss_ca Quote
F6, 1.4/85mm, Speedlight SB-600, XP2 Super @ISO 200, HC-110, X1 scan:

Creepy, I really like it!
07-09-2019, 08:48 AM   #8433
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bobbotron Quote
Developed this photo last night as part of a darkroom course I've been taking.
I like it. Nice & atmospheric.

(And trying to find out when IBM became IBM, and therefore the possible age of the box, has led me to the discovery that the Canadian subsidiary was the first to use the name "International Business Machines Corporation" in 1917. Which doesn't really help. )

Last edited by g026r; 07-09-2019 at 12:10 PM.
07-09-2019, 10:00 AM   #8434
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by g026r Quote
I like it. Nice & atmospheric.

(And trying to find out when IBM became IBM, and therefore the possible age of the box, has led me to the discovery that the Canadian subsidiary was the first to use the name "International Business Machines Corporation" in 1917. Which doesn't really help. )
Thanks! I like how it turned out too - the box has a ton of character. I like the backdrop they provided that night.

I don't think there are any dates on the box. I think it used to be a punch card box? I'm not the original owner unfortunately.

07-09-2019, 10:11 AM   #8435
Pentaxian

Thanks! I like how it turned out too - the box has a ton of character. I like the backdrop they provided that night.

I don't think there are any dates on the box. I think it used to be a punch card box? I'm not the original owner unfortunately.
Looks more like an equipment crate (big manual typewriter?). I remember punch cards. My dad used an IBM mainframe. Don't remember what the cards came in, but pretty sure it wasn't wooden crates.
07-09-2019, 11:03 AM   #8436
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dsmithhfx Quote
Looks more like an equipment crate (big manual typewriter?). I remember punch cards. My dad used an IBM mainframe. Don't remember what the cards came in, but pretty sure it wasn't wooden crates.
The photo perhaps makes it look deeper than it is. It's about 3 to 4 inches wide, 3" deep, maybe 12 to 16" long?
07-09-2019, 12:17 PM - 1 Like   #8437
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I remember punch cards. My dad used an IBM mainframe. Don't remember what the cards came in, but pretty sure it wasn't wooden crates.
When I started my first IT job in 1978, we still had some punch cards we had to read into the IBM mainframe once and awhile. They were stored in cardboard boxes, the boxes were the same width/height as the punch cards and had a lid. (The last thing you wanted to do was drop a box and have the cards scatter everywhere) We also has a department that just "punched" the cards and I used to get them to do my programs from my evening courses in programming.

Phil.
07-09-2019, 01:09 PM   #8438
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
When I started my first IT job in 1978, we still had some punch cards we had to read into the IBM mainframe once and awhile. They were stored in cardboard boxes, the boxes were the same width/height as the punch cards and had a lid. (The last thing you wanted to do was drop a box and have the cards scatter everywhere) We also has a department that just "punched" the cards and I used to get them to do my programs from my evening courses in programming.

Phil.
I remember when they switched to paper tape. Easier to store, but less durable.

07-09-2019, 03:09 PM   #8439
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote

Phil.
Man, those must have been the days. I'm a computer programmer but have never come close to punch card programming. Makes sense you'd want a lid! I don't know what this box was for, but it makes a darn good seed box now.
07-09-2019, 03:48 PM   #8440
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Beautiful! Love the contrast and the reflections.

Joe

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
Finally done shooting up some 2011 expired HP5+

07-09-2019, 04:15 PM   #8441
Pentaxian

...I'm a computer programmer but have never come close to punch card programming.
Luxury! I had a teacher that made us program an analog computer to plot out the motion response of a spring-mass-damper system as an exercise in converting a mechanical system into a electrical equivalent you needed to program it. Needless to say there was no threading, double-fork processes or function calls.

QuoteOriginally posted by jbrennskag Quote
Beautiful! Love the contrast and the reflections.
Joe
Thanks.
07-09-2019, 04:31 PM   #8442
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Man, those must have been the days. I'm a computer programmer but have never come close to punch card programming.
We used sliderules for engineering studies, when there were no personal calculators, and there was one digital computer on campus (in administration). We also used analog computers for some simulations, and had to write one FORTRAN program and punch the card deck and turn it in to have it run. Then they got s new computer and all had to be done in FORTRAN 4 instead.
Continued using a slide rule for many years after as an engineer before electronic calculators appeared.
I retired as a programmer...
07-10-2019, 06:45 AM   #8443
Pentaxian

Man, those must have been the days. I'm a computer programmer but have never come close to punch card programming. Makes sense you'd want a lid! I don't know what this box was for, but it makes a darn good seed box now.
The closest I've ever come to them was an algorithms class, where the prof explained that back in the day you'd naturally become really good at implementing sorting algorithms if you ever dropped your box of punch cards.
07-10-2019, 08:21 AM   #8444
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I remember when they switched to paper tape. Easier to store, but less durable.
Yep we had to input data everyday from one customer that was on paper tape. We also had to learn how to splice the paper tape back together if it broke.

Phil.

---------- Post added 10-07-19 at 08:27 ----------

Good stuff!

I ended up staying in Data Centre Operations after I finished my programming courses. I liked the three day work week of 12.5 hour shifts, though switching form days to nights every weeks was hard on the system.

Still in IT 40+ years later, though on the network side.

Phil.
07-10-2019, 11:46 AM - 5 Likes   #8445
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by longbow Quote
First photos from the KX I replaced the meter in and CLA'd - HP5+@1600, orange filter & K 30mm f2.8

Big grin on both the results and the location...mine from a few years back (Minota SRT101)...

Steve