Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-12-2020, 02:51 AM   #8971
Pentaxian




Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,802
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
Workflow update on old photo.

500C/M, CF 80/2.8, NDX8 + Orange, Acros, PMK


One of your best

02-12-2020, 11:19 AM   #8972
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Seattle
Posts: 8,454
QuoteOriginally posted by nickthetasmaniac Quote
One of your best
Thanks. I've been thinking of trying my 6x17 on a scene like that.
6 Days Ago - 2 Likes   #8973
Pentaxian




Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,802
Bellerive | Tasmania

M2, 5cm Summicron Collapsible and HP5+ (yellow filter)

5 Days Ago - 6 Likes   #8974
Pentaxian
Fritz's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Tillamook, OR
Posts: 1,205
Cape Meares lighthouse on Ultrafine Xtreme 400 with a Canon IVsb 50mm f1.8.



5 Days Ago   #8975
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Seattle
Posts: 8,454
QuoteOriginally posted by Fritz Quote
Cape Meares lighthouse on Ultrafine Xtreme 400 with a Canon IVsb 50mm f1.8.
The vertically challenged lighthouse. Do you have to pay $10 bucks to stand on public land and look at the ocean there?

The Pacific NW is getting a little too extreme. One day traveling up highway 101 I stopped at the John Dellenback sand dune trail, the South Jetty near Florence and the Heceta Head Park north of Florence. Each place wanted $10 bucks for a total of $30 dollars. I turned around and didn't go to any of them. I guess that must be what the forest service and state parks want or they're are trying to make money off of public land and tourists.

I thought the IRS was the government agency that collects taxes not the forest service and state parks! The sad part is most of that $10 bucks goes towards administrating costs and an enforcement policy (manpower, vehicles, parts, mechanics, etc) to bitch-slap you with a fine for trespassing on public property.

EDIT: I'm normally not very vocal about things like this. But I've been an avid hiker and outdoor person all my life. I do want to support our land. But not by a method that is so user unfriendly, wasteful and passes the burden of tax collection on the end user instead of the other way around. More and more sections of land are requiring their own "special pass".

Last edited by tuco; 5 Days Ago at 11:57 AM. Reason: sp
5 Days Ago   #8976
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 35,139
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
The Pacific NW is getting a little too extreme. One day traveling up highway 101 I stopped at the John Dellenback sand dune trail, the South Jetty near Florence and the Heceta Head Park north of Florence.
I have an America The Beautiful pass that takes care of the Federal and generally get my money's worth from a state pass if I buy one. I was not happy on a recent trip to Ilwaco where tollbooths were the norm in a patchwork of state and federal. It was a pain.


Steve
5 Days Ago   #8977
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Seattle
Posts: 8,454
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I have an America The Beautiful pass that takes care of the Federal and generally get my money's worth from a state pass if I buy one. I was not happy on a recent trip to Ilwaco where tollbooths were the norm in a patchwork of state and federal. It was a pain.


Steve
I can't recall the place offhand but one didn't honor any passes except their own. Here in WA some places require different passes just a 5 miles apart. This all started sometime around 2010 and is growing. Divide and conquer in the "land of the free".

One hiking trail put up about quantity 30, 10-foot tall posts with a sign on them demanding you park back end first so the ranger didn't have to get out of his car to see if you had a pass or not. Do you know how many trail heads they have to check. What a waste of money and manpower. Only someone living off tax dollars would think this is a good idea.
5 Days Ago   #8978
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Nov 2015
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,842
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
One hiking trail put up about quantity 30, 10-foot tall posts with a sign on them demanding you park back end first so the ranger didn't have to get out of his car to see if you had a pass or not. Do you know how many trail heads they have to check. What a waste of money and manpower. Only someone living off tax dollars would think this is a good idea.
My mother works part time at a local state park.
The part-time folks are paid out of the parking fees, paid by park users, not by more conventional "taxes".
And the park budget has been creamed in the past few years such that they've lost their interpretive center and some other neat features.

The really frustrating thing for her is the locals down the street who live in the gated, planned, golf community down the street who get all bent when asked to pay for their parking pass...
"I live here, I don't have to pay..."
"No, you live down the street... this is a state park... state law requires a parking pass for every vehicle..."

So it stinks on both sides.

-Eric

5 Days Ago   #8979
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Seattle
Posts: 8,454
QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote
My mother works part time at a local state park.
The part-time folks are paid out of the parking fees, paid by park users, not by more conventional "taxes".
And the park budget has been creamed in the past few years such that they've lost their interpretive center and some other neat features.
But she could also be paid by taxes via the conventional method. These so-called pass fees are just tax increases anyway. So collect that increase through established channels and let me walk on our land for free again without being treated as a criminal!

EDIT: Okay a bit of emotional argument there. But you are free to stand on public land and take in the sights but only if you walk on or use something that doesn't have a registration. When they write you a ticket for not having a pass or something it is your car they are bitch-slapping and not you, says one email from the Parks Service.

Last edited by tuco; 5 Days Ago at 07:31 PM.
5 Days Ago - 1 Like   #8980
Pentaxian
Fritz's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Tillamook, OR
Posts: 1,205
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
Do you have to pay $10 bucks to stand on public land and look at the ocean there?
There is no charge for this one. Free parking and a short walk (maybe .25 mile) and you are there. More info if you are interested.
5 Days Ago   #8981
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Seattle
Posts: 8,454
QuoteOriginally posted by Fritz Quote
There is no charge for this one. Free parking and a short walk (maybe .25 mile) and you are there. More info if you are interested.
Okay thanks. I visit the Oregon Coast often for sand dune pictures and anything else I can find.
3 Days Ago - 8 Likes   #8982
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Seattle
Posts: 8,454
Mamiya 7II, 43mm, Acros


3 Days Ago - 2 Likes   #8983
Pentaxian
womble's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Hertfordshire
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,785

St Paul's Walden par Kris Lockyear, on ipernity

St Pauls Walden. Ondu pinhole camera and Ilford Ortho Plus film.

---------- Post added 02-16-20 at 04:15 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
Mamiya 7II, 43mm, Acros


I love that. Super image. K.
3 Days Ago   #8984
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Seattle
Posts: 8,454
QuoteOriginally posted by womble Quote
I love that. Super image. K.
Thanks.

Not long ago I impulse purchased a Holga 120WPC pano pinhole while at a camera store. I haven't used it yet. It has a f135 pinhole with an exposure guide on the back. I haven't figured it out the guide's exposures yet.

I mean by the Sunny 16 Rule 100 film at f135 should be about 1 second. Add if you feel compelled, add another second for vignetting. The exposure guide says 7-8 seconds for sunny conditions. That's too much for a general reciprocity correction for all BW films I think. So I'm guessing pinholes need more exposure than the Sunny 16 Rule? Do you have any experience with that?
3 Days Ago - 1 Like   #8985
Pentaxian
womble's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Hertfordshire
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,785
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
Thanks.

Not long ago I impulse purchased a Holga 120WPC pano pinhole while at a camera store. I haven't used it yet. It has a f135 pinhole with an exposure guide on the back. I haven't figured it out the guide's exposures yet.

I mean by the Sunny 16 Rule 100 film at f135 should be about 1 second. Add if you feel compelled, add another second for vignetting. The exposure guide says 7-8 seconds for sunny conditions. That's too much for a general reciprocity correction for all BW films I think. So I'm guessing pinholes need more exposure than the Sunny 16 Rule? Do you have any experience with that?
My Ondu came with a guide etched onto a wooden keyfob. It says the f/stop is f/160 and suggests metering for f/22 and then using the following exposure times.

1/125 -> 1/2
1/60 -> 1sec
1/30 -> 2 sec
1/15 -> 5 sec
1/8 -> 10 sec
1/4 -> 20 sec
1/2 -> 42 sec
1 sec -> 2 minutes
2 seconds -> 4 minutes
4 seconds -> 9 minutes
8 seconds -> 26 minutes
15 seconds -> 1 hour
30 seconds -> 4 hours

I've found using my handheld meter on the shadows, it works pretty well. One or two of the indoor shots could have done with longer, but that is because I erred on the side of the metered 8 second exposure rather than 15 seconds as I didn't have an hour to spare...

I stopped using the camera in 12 x 6cm format partly because the vignetting at the edges was so much that it didn't really add anything. Mostly, I now use 6x9 but with only one baffle in the right-hand 6x6 slot so that I get, in effect, a front rise. I don'tt mind the vignetting in the sky as it is acting a bit like a grad filter. (Actually, I don't think vignetting is quite the right word, but you'll get my meaning.)

Cheers, Kris.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
autofocus, camera, d-76, dog, doubt, exposure, film, flickr, fp4, kiev, leak, lens, love, mine, minutes, nikkormat, pentax, phil, photography, pm, post, quality, roll, shot, shots, smc, sp500, station, steve, thanks
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Travel Some B&W film shots from the Gulf of Gaeta, Italy Rense Post Your Photos! 3 04-23-2011 12:22 AM
First post - few b&w shots sealisthenewbeaver Photo Critique 2 09-22-2008 06:40 PM
My Pentax shots in print & film. blwnhr Photographic Technique 5 03-18-2008 05:13 PM
First shots with a zx-5 film camera (c&c welcome) jbrowning Post Your Photos! 2 12-23-2007 08:18 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:35 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top