Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-30-2012, 08:23 AM   #946

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote

River's edge along the Columbia River, Altoona, WA

320TXP, NDX8 Filter, PMK

Great shot, Tuco!

What was the camera? Pentax 6x7 or perhaps large format?

08-30-2012, 09:10 AM   #947
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Griz57 Quote
Sorry for the miss-identification....reminds me of a heavy braided bowline, encrusted by its time in the water. Any idea what it may have been used for?

Griz
No need to apologize. It looks just like a rope. I'll put together some more shots of that area. One I think I posted before which is about the same place but looking in the opposite direction up the river. You'll see more of early settler history in the water.

That area at one time was only accessible by way of the river. There were not many roads. People built communities along the river's edge with industries such as fish canneries built on piers. I believe that was an air conditioning pump you see on that pyramid. The water is full of small parts from that operation.

The fate of the once thriving cannery business along the Columbia River near Astoria, Oregon experienced was that these buildings mysteriously caught fire and burn down when they became unprofitable.

Last edited by tuco; 08-30-2012 at 09:47 AM.
08-30-2012, 09:22 AM   #948
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by _quicksilver_ Quote
Great shot, Tuco!

What was the camera? Pentax 6x7 or perhaps large format?
Yes, that was my 4x5. I sure do like the pictures from it but I struggle to get out and use it more. I do have four sheets to develop tonight, finally.
08-30-2012, 10:22 AM   #949

Photos: Albums
No need to apologize. It looks just like a rope. I'll put together some more shots of that area. One I think I posted before which is about the same place but looking in the opposite direction up the river. You'll see more of early settler history in the water.

That area at one time was only accessible by way of the river. There were not many roads. People built communities along the river's edge with industries such as fish canneries built on piers. I believe that was an air conditioning pump you see on that pyramid. The water is full of small parts from that operation.

The fate of the once thriving cannery business along the Columbia River near Astoria, Oregon experienced was that these buildings mysteriously caught fire and burn down when they became unprofitable.
Love to see some more shots of the area, I really enjoy photographs of historical sites. We have a 200 year old grist mill close by, with its own covered bridge. I've been down there a couple of times, and plan on going back for a more in depth study. Apparently the mill was originally built 300 years ago as a log structure, and rebuilt 100 years later into the stone configuration that it is today. When I spoke with the current owners, they told me stories of native american attacks back in the day, and having to hide the wheels under water behind the dam. The original wheels (imported from France) are still under water, and they are planning to raise them in the future. I definitely want to be there to document the event for them!

Griz

08-30-2012, 12:25 PM   #950
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Yes, that was my 4x5. I sure do like the pictures from it but I struggle to get out and use it more. I do have four sheets to develop tonight, finally.
I know the feeling. This should go in the "disasters thread" but I'll tell the tale here. Last week my wife and I went to the local "chilli festival". I stuck my bag with the LF gear and my big tripod in the boot of the car in case I had the chance to photograph one of the local medieval churches on the way home. We duly stopped at a nice church and off I went to photograph it. Tripod... check. Loaded dark slides... check. Light meter... check. Lenses on lens boards, bag bellows, ordinary bellows, lupe (Pentax of course!), cable release... check. Hmmm... something missing. Oh phooey... where's the camera!

K.
08-30-2012, 12:51 PM   #951
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by womble Quote
where's the camera!
LOL - have to hate it when that happens!!
08-31-2012, 07:43 AM   #952
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Great shot, Tuco! What was the camera? Pentax 6x7 or perhaps large format?
Yes you can tell when Tuco is cheating horribly on us poor 35mm shooters. That 4x5 could make a snapshot of his breakfast look like a masterpiece, though this particular shot would stand on its own merit even if it were taken from a toy camera.
08-31-2012, 08:58 AM   #953
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by PPPPPP42 Quote
Yes you can tell when Tuco is cheating horribly on us poor 35mm shooters.
Don't feel bad. You can shoot your 35mm almost anywhere. These large cameras are very limited in photographic scope and a big effort to use.

08-31-2012, 10:04 AM   #954
Pentaxian

Another river's edge taken in the same vicinity as my prior shot in Altoona, WA. Those cables in the water only show up on a really low tide.

Schneider Super-Angulon 90mm, 320TXP, NDX8, PMK

Last edited by tuco; 09-01-2012 at 10:06 AM.
08-31-2012, 02:36 PM   #955
Veteran Member

Montparnesse Tower, Paris.
Pentax ME Super, Takumar 28mm f/2.8, TMax 400 in D-76.
08-31-2012, 04:37 PM   #956
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Vendee Quote

Montparnesse Tower, Paris.
Pentax ME Super, Takumar 28mm f/2.8, TMax 400 in D-76.
Nice, like the reflection.

Phil.
09-01-2012, 01:54 AM   #957

Another river's edge taken in the same vicinity as my prior shot in Altoona, WA. Those cables in the water only show up on a really low tide.

Schneider Super-Auglon 90mm, 320TXP, NDX8, PMK

Another masterpiece Tuco!
I would really like to try out largeformat someday. I have been lurking at the largeformat forums marvelling at the galleries... Maybe I will just sell some of my DA lenses to get a 4x5 Graflex to get started.
09-01-2012, 03:38 AM   #958
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
Nice, like the reflection.

Phil.
Thanks Phil. I also took a few shots of the reflection with my DSLR but a few days later I managed to lose the 8gb CF card complete with 270 images. I've only developed one roll of film from the trip so far so I hope I've got some good shots in the canisters to cheer me up a bit.
09-01-2012, 09:41 AM   #959
Pentaxian

Another masterpiece Tuco!
I would really like to try out largeformat someday. I have been lurking at the largeformat forums marvelling at the galleries... Maybe I will just sell some of my DA lenses to get a 4x5 Graflex to get started.
Thanks.

You're getting excellent results from your MF gear now. One unique thing a view camera can add is the movements. They are really good at selective focus. But I don't think that Graflex has much in the way of lens or film plane movements. It is something to consider. And you've heard me and womble note how much an effort it is to get out and use this gear when you have other cameras. Just saying...
09-01-2012, 11:16 AM   #960

Thanks.

You're getting excellent results from your MF gear now. One unique thing a view camera can add is the movements. They are really good at selective focus. But I don't think that Graflex has much in the way of lens or film plane movements. It is something to consider. And you've heard me and womble note how much an effort it is to get out and use this gear when you have other cameras. Just saying...
Thanks,

I feel that there is still a lot to learn, and feel like trying every format out there as long as it shoots film. But, yes its good to remember that setting up the camera in LF world requires more time and effort. Actually this might be ok for my style of shooting... on the other hand, Im also tempted to try out more compact MF rangefinders or even 35mm rangefinders...( especially the overpriced "red dot" rangefinders that are made in Germany. )