Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 27027 Likes Search this Thread
01-14-2021, 06:21 AM - 7 Likes   #9781
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Ondu multiformat pinhole camera with offset baffles, Ilford Delta 400 film with a red filter, 42 second exposure.

New Bridge par Kris Lockyear, on ipernity

The commercial scan looks very speckled. I'm going to redo it later. Any idea what might have caused this?

Last edited by womble; 01-14-2021 at 06:23 AM. Reason: wanted to ask a question
01-14-2021, 07:02 PM   #9782
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by womble Quote
Ondu multiformat pinhole camera with offset baffles, Ilford Delta 400 film with a red filter, 42 second exposure.

New Bridge par Kris Lockyear, on ipernity

The commercial scan looks very speckled. I'm going to redo it later. Any idea what might have caused this?
It's weird; the first time I looked at it, I couldn't see the speckling... only what looked like marks left by a poor rinse (some random dark splotches) or maybe birds blurred by the long exposure.

Then I changed the magnification just a little and now I can't not see the speckling...

I've seen fingerprints or other deposits on a neg cause white dots like that, but I don't see swirls like a fingerprint...
If that's it, you may just be able to clean the neg and re-scan...

-Eric
01-15-2021, 02:54 PM - 9 Likes   #9783
Pentaxian

Pentax KX, Bergger Pancro 400 film, commercial dev and scan. I think it was taken with my M100/2.8 but I may be mistaken...

Misty trees par Kris Lockyear, on ipernity
01-15-2021, 04:00 PM - 5 Likes   #9784
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

01-16-2021, 02:21 PM - 15 Likes   #9785
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Street Light

Hudson Yards, New York, NY

Bronica RF645, 65mm f/4 Bronica Zenzanon-RF
Kodak 100TMX, HC-110B

01-16-2021, 03:02 PM - 8 Likes   #9786
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

01-19-2021, 02:31 PM - 11 Likes   #9787
Pentaxian

A quick portrait by the windowside. High Atlas, Morocco, 1985.

What strikes me in hindsight is how I managed to get the exposure right on subjects like this with the simple average metering of the MX. Once I had got used to the spot metering inside the Z-1p that I used from 1995 onward that specific skill soon faded away.

Edit: What also strikes me is how well the SMC coating of that mid-seventies lens handled the situation, with bright sunlight coming in from the window next to the edge of the frame in an otherwise dark room. There is no flare to speak of.

Last edited by wkraus; 01-20-2021 at 01:55 AM. Reason: Additional remark
01-20-2021, 02:23 AM - 1 Like   #9788
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by wkraus Quote
A quick portrait by the windowside. High Atlas, Morocco, 1985.

That is a genuinely captivating portrait
01-20-2021, 03:32 AM - 5 Likes   #9789
Pentaxian

I tried photographing the negative using my K-3. The specking has gone so it must be a scanning artefact. Thanks for the comments.

River Lea par Kris Lockyear, on ipernity
01-20-2021, 04:49 AM   #9790
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I tried photographing the negative using my K-3. The specking has gone so it must be a scanning artefact. Thanks for the comments.

It looks like some of the speckling is still there, in the upper right by "15".

And a big water spot or something as well, in the middle near the top.

-Eric
01-20-2021, 07:32 AM   #9791
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote
It looks like some of the speckling is still there, in the upper right by "15".

And a big water spot or something as well, in the middle near the top.

-Eric
Yes, but much less marked than before. The blob might be a mark on my light source (or on my K-3's sensor!). I wasn't being too fussy about cleaning my tablet's screen before I took this, I was just trying to see if it was better than before (and I know my K-3 really needs a sensor clean). I need to squint at the neg with a loupe...

K.
01-20-2021, 02:27 PM   #9792
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by nickthetasmaniac Quote
That is a genuinely captivating portrait
Thank you, Nick! I’m glad you like it.
01-21-2021, 04:42 AM - 1 Like   #9793
Pentaxian

Lately I don't see the images you post, just a link to them. I'm not sure if this may be a forum setting (rings a bell) or something else.

I'm not usually a fan of pinhole images but this one's really nice. I do love Delta 400 though - the tones of Tri-X with the grain of tabular grain. Lovely.
01-21-2021, 06:21 AM   #9794
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
Lately I don't see the images you post, just a link to them. I'm not sure if this may be a forum setting (rings a bell) or something else.

I'm not usually a fan of pinhole images but this one's really nice. I do love Delta 400 though - the tones of Tri-X with the grain of tabular grain. Lovely.
It is a problem with Chrome's security settings (it might also affect other browsers). I'll try and find the info about it again.
01-21-2021, 12:47 PM   #9795
Pentaxian

It is a problem with Chrome's security settings (it might also affect other browsers). I'll try and find the info about it again.
If you view Chrome's error log, you may see there are errors failing to load a resource with the net::ERR_CERT_COMMON_NAME_INVALID error being generated. It Looks like something to do with finding a certificate on cdn.ipernity.com website. To view Chrome's error log, open a Chrome Console Tab ( Press Command+Option+J [Mac] or Control+Shift+J [Windows]) while at this page in the thread.

What might be happing is some hosting sites are signing their own HTTPS certificates instead of paying the big bucks to have it done by trusted 3rd party who will now maintain the generated encryption key in a safe place. The idea is if you generate, sign and keep the key yourself it can be found and now the encrypted HTTPS communication is compromised. So this is a so-called security feature the browsers are implementing I believe.