QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
Really sweet!
1++++++

Incredible!!

Steve

11-02-2011, 04:16 AM   #92

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by nightfly Quote
Moonlight dances in a shallow pool as waves caress the shoreline at Schoodic Point, Winter Harbor, Maine.

Spotmatic II 35mm F/3.5 SMC Takumar @ f/8 15 minutes on Acros 100, XTOL. Scanned on Epson V600.
Lovely shot. Absolutely beautiful

I'm comparatively new to film photography, and while I understand that I'll need to look up the exposure compensation due to reciprocity failure of the film I'm using, I still don't quite understand how you do the initial metering to estimate the "base" exposure. Could you give me some tips please as you've clearly got it sorted! Thanks!
11-02-2011, 09:42 AM   #93
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Cuchulainn Quote

I'm comparatively new to film photography, and while I understand that I'll need to look up the exposure compensation due to reciprocity failure of the film I'm using, I still don't quite understand how you do the initial metering to estimate the "base" exposure. Could you give me some tips please as you've clearly got it sorted! Thanks!
Nightfly can elaborate more on his times but for the Acros film in his shot, you only need to add 1/2 stop of additional exposure for long exposures over 2 minutes which makes that film an excellent candidate for full moon shots. And you can use the Looney 16 rule for full moon shots (basically add ~18 stops to the Sunny 16 rule) as a bases of determining exposure. Then adjust accordingly for days before and after the full moon. Nightfly posted some times in the medium format section at one time.

Last edited by tuco; 11-02-2011 at 09:54 AM.
11-02-2011, 01:09 PM   #94
Veteran Member

Here's a couple of 8x10 shots that I printed about a month ago:

Flickr Link

Flickr Link

Both shots with a Calumet C-1 "Green Monster" and Gundlach 12" f4.5 Radar (a Tessar knock-off with 5 elements in 3 groups instead of 4 and 3), Efke 25 Rotary Processed in Rodinal 1:100.

I love shooting 8x10...but I really need to find a better darkroom one of these days. My small, cramped, lint-filled excuse for a dark room means I don't spend anywhere near as much time in there as I'd like to...

11-03-2011, 01:29 AM   #95

Pentax K 1000 , Scanned on Epson V300 .Sears 135mm

Last edited by K-Arnav; 11-03-2011 at 02:09 AM.
11-03-2011, 02:12 AM   #96

Minolta Dynax 7 . Kodak Pro XL 100, Scanned on Epson V300
11-03-2011, 02:58 AM - 1 Like   #97

Tuco has explained the film reciprocity well. Acros requires little correction, even in longer exposures. I've gone beyond 30 minutes, but I don't correct for any "metered" reading. In low light photography, metering is sometimes not an option. I recommend that you start with a base exposure under known conditions (Full Moon, Gibbous Moon, Firtst quarter) and take good notes.

A good base exposure under the full Moon is 12 minutes at f/8 with Acros. I've compared 30 minutes at f/11 with little or no difference in density.

That being said here is a chart for Acros reciprocity.

Indicated Exposure / Actual Exposure

2 minutes / 2 minutes
4 minutes / 6 minutes
8 minutes / 12 minutes
15 minutes / 25 minutes
30 minutes / 45 minutes
11-03-2011, 04:50 AM   #98

Thanks Tuco and Nightfly - much appreciated. Will need to pick up some Acros and give it a go now One day I'll also get around to making the double arm barn door mount I've been planning for the last couple of years!

11-03-2011, 07:02 AM   #99
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by GhoSStrider Quote
Here's a couple of 8x10 shots that I printed about a month ago:

Both shots with a Calumet C-1 "Green Monster" and Gundlach 12" f4.5 Radar (a Tessar knock-off with 5 elements in 3 groups instead of 4 and 3), Efke 25 Rotary Processed in Rodinal 1:100.

I love shooting 8x10...but I really need to find a better darkroom one of these days. My small, cramped, lint-filled excuse for a dark room means I don't spend anywhere near as much time in there as I'd like to...
Lovely shots. I hardly use my 5x4 for much the same reason. Best wishes, Kris.
11-03-2011, 11:12 AM   #100
Pentaxian

A good base exposure under the full Moon is 12 minutes at f/8 with Acros.
Thanks Tuco and Nightfly - much appreciated. Will need to pick up some Acros and give it a go now One day I'll also get around to making the double arm barn door mount I've been planning for the last couple of years!
I'd add an even simpler rule to remember for a clear sky, full moon starting point derived from the Looney 16 rule is:
8 min at f8
From here you adjust for your film's reciprocity. With Acros, you'd shoot 12 min at f8 or 8 min at f6.7 (open a 1/2 stop)

Maybe Nightfly can give some adjustments to this value for a few days before and after the full moon since often we can't always catch a full moon.

Last edited by tuco; 11-03-2011 at 12:15 PM.
11-04-2011, 05:14 AM   #101

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
I'd add an even simpler rule to remember for a clear sky, full moon starting point derived from the Looney 16 rule is:
8 min at f8
From here you adjust for your film's reciprocity. With Acros, you'd shoot 12 min at f8 or 8 min at f6.7 (open a 1/2 stop)

Maybe Nightfly can give some adjustments to this value for a few days before and after the full moon since often we can't always catch a full moon.

Days before Full Moon / Compensation

1 / 1/2 stop

2 / 1 stop

3-4 / 1 1/2 stop

7 / 3 1/2 stop

I prefere to keep my exposures at f/8 as I usually require some depth of field and do not want vignetting in the frame. Expose longer as apposed to opening the aperture. Of course some situations will dictate otherwise.

I find that modern chrome films can be exposed as you would Acros 100. These include Provia, Astia, and E100G.

I tend to not expose from an "exposure" point of view at night. This is due to years of exposing films as an astrophotographer. I hope the translations above give a good starting point for others.
11-04-2011, 05:17 AM   #102

Days before Full Moon / Compensation

1 / 1/2 stop

2 / 1 stop

3-4 / 1 1/2 stop

7 / 3 1/2 stop

I prefere to keep my exposures at f/8 as I usually require some depth of field and do not want vignetting in the frame. Expose longer as apposed to opening the aperture. Of course some situations will dictate otherwise.

I find that modern chrome films can be exposed as you would Acros 100. These include Provia, Astia, and E100G.

I tend to not expose from an "exposure" point of view at night. This is due to years of exposing films as an astrophotographer. I hope the translations above give a good starting point for others.
Excellent, will have to have a play now!
11-04-2011, 06:44 AM   #103
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by womble Quote
Lovely shots. I hardly use my 5x4 for much the same reason. Best wishes, Kris.
Thanks, Kris. I will say that 8x10 has actually made darkroom time a little bit easier. I simply didn't have the room for a 4x5 enlarger and 4x5 contact prints didn't do anything for me. 8x10 contact printing can be done simply. My only problem is that my darkroom is still too cramped and lint filled (my laundry room was the only room with running water that I could easily lightproof). Hopefully someday I can get a different set-up going, because 8x10 is definitely a blast and even my less than perfect contact prints are a thing of beauty to behold. A friend who also shoots 8x10 (and larger) contact prints on Lodima in Amidol. The prints are "jaw hits the floor" gorgeous (and his Deardorff V11 is "jaw hits and goes through the floor beautiful"!)
11-04-2011, 08:28 AM - 1 Like   #104
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums

11-04-2011, 12:21 PM   #105
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rense Quote
Nice, Rense...Real nice...

Steve