Phil.

11-29-2021, 06:05 PM - 1 Like   #10967
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
Spotmatic & Super Takumar 28/3.5, shooting Tmax 400:

Phil.
That one tree makes the photo! I like it!
11-30-2021, 03:23 AM   #10968
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by AgentL Quote
That one tree makes the photo! I like it!
Thanks!
12-01-2021, 05:48 AM - 6 Likes   #10969
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Suzuki Optical Co. Press Van • Asahi Kogaku Takumar 1:3.5 F=75mm
Rollei R3 @ 100 ISO expired developed in Caffenol CLCS (Cold Start) stand 90min @ 15°-20°C
Scanned with Plustek OpticFilm 120 at 2400dpi with Silverfast AI Studio 9

Rotterdam • Nederland

Caffenol CLCS
500 ml Filtered Water
8gr Anhydrous Washing Soda
5gr Vitamin C
0.5gr KBr
20gr Instant coffee ("Cora")
10 slow inversions then let stand for 90 minutes

12-01-2021, 06:37 AM - 6 Likes   #10970
Veteran Member

503cx, Sonnar 250, one strobe, HP5+ at 640, Diafine:

12-01-2021, 11:10 AM   #10971
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by drmoss_ca Quote
503cx, Sonnar 250, one strobe, HP5+ at 640, Diafine:
That's a ton of crisp clarity for HP5, nicely done.
12-01-2021, 11:23 AM   #10972
Veteran Member

That's a ton of crisp clarity for HP5, nicely done.
Thank you - I'm finding that Diafine doesn't deserve it's reputation of creating a grainy mess if you don't give the full two stops of speed increase, and if you agitate smoothly. It tolerates continuous agitation but hates anything rough. That was processed in a motorized Lab-Box, and I'm wondering from my limited knowledge of fluid dynamics whether the continuous rolling rotation is actually allowing a laminar-flow boundary layer of chemical solution form on the surface of the film, and without turbulent flow there isn't as much fresh developer arriving at the surface as you'd expect.

12-01-2021, 11:35 AM - 1 Like   #10973
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thank you - I'm finding that Diafine doesn't deserve it's reputation of creating a grainy mess if you don't give the full two stops of speed increase, and if you agitate smoothly. It tolerates continuous agitation but hates anything rough. That was processed in a motorized Lab-Box, and I'm wondering from my limited knowledge of fluid dynamics whether the continuous rolling rotation is actually allowing a laminar-flow boundary layer of chemical solution form on the surface of the film, and without turbulent flow there isn't as much fresh developer arriving at the surface as you'd expect.
It's a good representative of what the Lab-Box can do, that's for sure. I've stayed away mostly because I got confused thinking of how the timing and other things might need to be adjusted for the fact that the film isn't continuously submerged. I'd be very happy getting these results from HP5 myself! Of course, I have mostly stayed with Rodinal (and DF96 monobath) so I'm not seeking low-grain perfection with my developing.
12-01-2021, 11:46 AM   #10974
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

It's a good representative of what the Lab-Box can do, that's for sure. I've stayed away mostly because I got confused thinking of how the timing and other things might need to be adjusted for the fact that the film isn't continuously submerged. I'd be very happy getting these results from HP5 myself! Of course, I have mostly stayed with Rodinal (and DF96 monobath) so I'm not seeking low-grain perfection with my developing.
I seriously considered buying a Rondinax or Lab-Box, but ended up going with a regular tank and reels (plus changing bag, of course) due to the plethora of developing time and agitation data. I can't deny, though, being able to load and develop without going near a changing bag is a tempting prospect indeed... and the above results show that someone who knows what they're doing can produce fantastic results
12-01-2021, 04:58 PM - 1 Like   #10975
Veteran Member

I now use the Rondinax tanks (35u and 60) or the Lab-Box for everything. I have not found it necessary to change any times with any of my developers (Rodinal, HC-110, Ilfotec-HC, L-110, TMax, Diafine and Acufine) and they work fine for C-41 and E6. I don't have any temperature issues with colour processing in them, it just doesn't take long enough that the solutions cool down. I only use a conventional tank for stand development, or 120-size polyester/PET film. I can do polyester films in 35mm, just by taking the lid off in the dark and using scissors instead of the guillotine. I wouldn't be half so enthusiastic about them if I hadn't got around to motorizing them; that has changed developing from a chore to a pleasure. Just put in the film, set it on the motor base, pour in a solution, set a timer. Timer goes off, pick it off the base pour out solution, replace on base and pour in next chemical. After fixing, remove lid and pour in five washes of water for a minute each, adding a couple of drops of PhotoFlo to the last. Take out the reel, leave the film on it and place in old Honeywell KleenDri. 50 minutes later start scanning. It has really spoiled me!
12-02-2021, 09:54 AM   #10976
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I now use the Rondinax tanks (35u and 60) or the Lab-Box for everything. I have not found it necessary to change any times with any of my developers (Rodinal, HC-110, Ilfotec-HC, L-110, TMax, Diafine and Acufine) and they work fine for C-41 and E6. I don't have any temperature issues with colour processing in them, it just doesn't take long enough that the solutions cool down. I only use a conventional tank for stand development, or 120-size polyester/PET film. I can do polyester films in 35mm, just by taking the lid off in the dark and using scissors instead of the guillotine. I wouldn't be half so enthusiastic about them if I hadn't got around to motorizing them; that has changed developing from a chore to a pleasure. Just put in the film, set it on the motor base, pour in a solution, set a timer. Timer goes off, pick it off the base pour out solution, replace on base and pour in next chemical. After fixing, remove lid and pour in five washes of water for a minute each, adding a couple of drops of PhotoFlo to the last. Take out the reel, leave the film on it and place in old Honeywell KleenDri. 50 minutes later start scanning. It has really spoiled me!
I must admit that sounds pretty great! I do everything the hard way: I load my own film into cartridges without a daylight film loader (sit in the dark and spool it on by hand), and do all my developing with a standard Paterson setup. Might be a good idea to streamline a bit. I like the process, but times like these recently I haven't shot any film in months just because the whole process is a time commitment.
12-02-2021, 11:09 AM   #10977
Pentaxian

... (sit in the dark and spool it on by hand) ...
I still do that with SS reels.
12-03-2021, 12:24 AM - 9 Likes   #10978
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Autumn grass. Pentax Mx, Super-Tak 55/1.8 @ f/3.5, Ilford HP5+, stand developed in Caffenol CL for 60 minutes. - Jack

12-03-2021, 09:28 AM - 7 Likes   #10979

Macro!

Me-Super, Pentax-M 50mm 1.7, reverse adapter K.

Spur Ultra R 800 developed in Spur Nanotech UR

Attached Images

12-03-2021, 04:19 PM - 7 Likes   #10980
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

One from my first test roll that didn't originally make it to my "keeper" list, but I've changed my mind somewhat... It's not so bad, I think:

["Industrial Waste - Co. Durham, England", Agfa Isola II 6x6, Fomapan 200, Rodinal (Fomadon R09) 1+50 @ 10']