Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-13-2012, 12:57 PM   #1321
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jacquot Quote
Pentax! I like the last two. The airplanes mix well with the overall image, very nice. And we know floods here, recent and otherwise. I will take the 85 out for a film spin soon, promise...
David
Thanks David.
Our little flood was really pretty minuscule, all things considered. The 18mm lens helped make it look much bigger.
I look forward to film shots from the 85.

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
Over here in Spain, FP4 is the cheapest 100-ish ISO B&W film I can get. I like it a lot, along with T-Max.
Around here, the cheapest FP4 I've found is about $6.00 a roll, which is expensive for me. I usually don't like spending more than $3.00 I'm probably spoiled and kind of a cheapskate after getting 65 rolls of misc. film (mostly Provia 100F) for $15. I also mostly buy expired films and when I do buy new, I usually buy Fujicolor 200(24) from Wal-mart for about $1.80/roll.
I may have to splurge on more FP4, though I do have 10 rolls of TMAX 100(24), and 4 rolls of Agfa APX 100(36) to work through.

12-14-2012, 03:01 PM   #1322
Pentaxian

This is a picture of her Halloween outfit her mother made and not a portrait, per se. I did a digital version for her to send a to her mother so she could see what it looks like on her. I wanted a BW film version for myself. And in order to post it she wanted to be a little more anonymous; hence the eyes in the shadow.

500C/M, Sonnar CF T* 150mm, Pentax YG Filter, 400TMY @ EI 50, PMK

Last edited by tuco; 12-14-2012 at 11:49 PM.
12-15-2012, 05:51 AM   #1323

Very nice, Tuco!

I like the shadows in the eyes.. and I have to say that I like this more than the D600 version...

Im curious to know how you placed the strobes? Did you use softboxes or umbrellas?
12-15-2012, 01:02 PM   #1324
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by _quicksilver_ Quote
Very nice, Tuco!

I like the shadows in the eyes.. and I have to say that I like this more than the D600 version...

Im curious to know how you placed the strobes? Did you use softboxes or umbrellas?
Thanks.

I used four strobes. The arrangement is slightly different than the D600 version. I wanted to keep the bottom of the dress darker so the lights would show up. So I used the following:
  • The key light was a long narrow softbox (usually used as a kicker) oriented horizontally directly in front and above her to light the top half.
  • The fill light was a large soft box off to her left side (our right)
  • The hair light I used a wider 40 spot modifier to outline her right side as well as the hat
  • The background light I use a 10 spot modifier to hit the background from a stand up high and more in front of her

On the digital version the background light was directly behind her with an elliptical modifier on a battery pack to have no cords. And the fill was was a spot aimed at the lower half of her dress and a reflector for the top half. The D600 does not make a good flash meter. It is a least 1.5 stops different (causing over exposure on the film) than my other digital cameras I used for a digital Polaroid. What's up with that, I wonder. I checked and my XP1 showed more exposure than the D600 too. I have a flash meter and should have checked it against that. Next time I will.

Last edited by tuco; 12-15-2012 at 01:18 PM.
12-15-2012, 09:54 PM - 1 Like   #1325
Pentaxian

A little more FP4

Pentax MZ-L, SMC Pentax-FAJ 18-35mm, Ilford FP4 Plus
12-15-2012, 11:30 PM   #1326
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Swift1 Quote
A little more FP4

Pentax MZ-L, SMC Pentax-FAJ 18-35mm, Ilford FP4 Plus
Nice, like the shadows!

Phil.
12-16-2012, 12:31 AM   #1327

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
Thanks.

I used four strobes. The arrangement is slightly different than the D600 version. I wanted to keep the bottom of the dress darker so the lights would show up. So I used the following:
  • The key light was a long narrow softbox (usually used as a kicker) oriented horizontally directly in front and above her to light the top half.
  • The fill light was a large soft box off to her left side (our right)
  • The hair light I used a wider 40 spot modifier to outline her right side as well as the hat
  • The background light I use a 10 spot modifier to hit the background from a stand up high and more in front of her

On the digital version the background light was directly behind her with an elliptical modifier on a battery pack to have no cords. And the fill was was a spot aimed at the lower half of her dress and a reflector for the top half. The D600 does not make a good flash meter. It is a least 1.5 stops different (causing over exposure on the film) than my other digital cameras I used for a digital Polaroid. What's up with that, I wonder. I checked and my XP1 showed more exposure than the D600 too. I have a flash meter and should have checked it against that. Next time I will.

Tuco,

Thanks a lot for the information. Theres still a lot for me to learn about using strobes. So far I have only used one or two strobes with softboxes and umbrellas. I would need a few more for hairlight and to light the background. Only problem is the space, I need a bigger room for my studio!
12-16-2012, 02:39 AM   #1328
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
Nice, like the shadows!

Phil.
....... +1

12-16-2012, 07:04 AM   #1329
Veteran Member

Me Super, FA 43 Ltd, @1.9, Kodak T-Max 400 @200, HC110

12-16-2012, 11:05 AM   #1330
Pentaxian

I have a glass carrier for my scanner. And it is a PITA. Too many surfaces to keep clean and even if they look clean, they are not. So I've been experimenting. I removed the lid on it and tapped the negative down. What an improvement in the dust clean up. But there is still another problem to overcome.

There is not enough room to tape down the entire perimeter of the negative and I'm getting out of focus spots due to the negative not being flat. The next step would be to cut up the carrier and mount a larger glass. But if it doesn't work out then its an expensive experiment. It costs a lot of money.

400TMY, Y2 Yellow Filter

Last edited by tuco; 12-16-2012 at 01:10 PM. Reason: Cropped to a different aspect ratio
12-16-2012, 11:45 AM   #1331
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
Nice, like the shadows!

Phil.
Thanks Phil.
12-16-2012, 11:49 AM   #1332
Veteran Member

400TMY, Y2 Yellow Filter

Is it me or does the girl nearest the camera look really nervous?
12-16-2012, 11:54 AM   #1333
Pentaxian

I have a glass carrier for my scanner. And it is a PITA. Too many surfaces to keep clean and even if they look clean, they are not. So I've been experimenting. I removed the lid on it and tapped the negative down. What an improvement in the dust clean up. But there is still another problem to overcome.

There is not enough room to tape down the entire perimeter of the negative and I'm getting out of focus spots due to the negative not being flat. The next step would be to cut up the carrier and mount a larger glass. But if it doesn't work out then its an expensive experiment. It costs a lot of money.

400TMY, Y2 Yellow Filter

I've found that if the film isn't to curled, I get better result from the stock Epson holder. Mostly because it holds the film from moving and you can blow dust off. The glass holder is a dust nightmare.
If you get some card stock of the right thickness, you could trace the betterscanning holder, cut out the opening, then tape the film to that.
12-16-2012, 12:01 PM   #1334
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Vendee Quote
Is it me or does the girl nearest the camera look really nervous?
Ha, I think so too. Maybe because she's going to be jumping out of an airplane.

QuoteOriginally posted by Swift1 Quote
I've found that if the film isn't to curled, I get better result from the stock Epson holder. Mostly because it holds the film from moving and you can blow dust off. The glass holder is a dust nightmare.
If you get some card stock of the right thickness, you could trace the betterscanning holder, cut out the opening, then tape the film to that.
I can't use that stuff on my scanner. It's not a flatbed and takes a special holder.
12-16-2012, 12:04 PM   #1335
Pentaxian

Ha, I think so too. Maybe because she's going to be jumping out of an airplane.

I can't use that stuff on my scanner. It's not a flatbed and takes a special holder.
Ahh. I thought you were scanning your 120 on a flatbed.
What are you scanning 120 with, Coolscan?