Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-16-2012, 12:19 PM   #1336
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Seattle
Posts: 7,068
QuoteOriginally posted by Swift1 Quote
Ahh. I thought you were scanning your 120 on a flatbed.
What are you scanning 120 with, Coolscan?
Yes, a Coolscan.

12-16-2012, 01:39 PM   #1337
Pentaxian
Swift1's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Oregon
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,955
Last weekend while up in Portland, I shot my first ever roll of Agfa APX 100. I've been hearing for years about how awesome this film is so I've always wanted to try it. I've rarely seen it for sale though and mostly it's overpriced and expired (not a big deal), so when I found some new stock on ebay for a decent price I decided to give it a try. From a bit of research, this "new" stock is older bulk stock made before Agfa went bankrupt that's been kept frozen, purchased and packaged by a new company Agfa Photo.
I would have loved to develop it in Rodinal but I don't have that option so I dropped it off at Blue Moon Camera while I was there and they developed it and mailed it to me.

Here are a few from the roll.

Pentax MZ-L, SMC Pentax-FAJ 18-35mm, Agfa APX 100




Pentax MZ-L, SMC Pentax-FAJ 18-35mm, Agfa APX 100




Pentax MZ-L, SMC Pentax-DFA 100/2.8, Agfa APX 100




Pentax MZ-L, SMC Pentax-FAJ 18-35mm, Agfa APX 100




Pentax MZ-L, SMC Pentax-FAJ 18-35mm, Agfa APX 100
12-16-2012, 02:13 PM - 1 Like   #1338
Loyal Site Supporter
Jacquot's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: Westchester, NY
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,238
QuoteOriginally posted by Swift1 Quote
Last weekend while up in Portland, I shot my first ever roll of Agfa APX 100. I've been hearing for years about how awesome this film is so I've always wanted to try it. I've rarely seen it for sale though and mostly it's overpriced and expired (not a big deal), so when I found some new stock on ebay for a decent price I decided to give it a try. From a bit of research, this "new" stock is older bulk stock made before Agfa went bankrupt that's been kept frozen, purchased and packaged by a new company Agfa Photo.
I would have loved to develop it in Rodinal but I don't have that option so I dropped it off at Blue Moon Camera while I was there and they developed it and mailed it to me.

Here are a few from the roll.

Pentax MZ-L, SMC Pentax-FAJ 18-35mm, Agfa APX 100




Pentax MZ-L, SMC Pentax-FAJ 18-35mm, Agfa APX 100




Pentax MZ-L, SMC Pentax-DFA 100/2.8, Agfa APX 100




Pentax MZ-L, SMC Pentax-FAJ 18-35mm, Agfa APX 100




Pentax MZ-L, SMC Pentax-FAJ 18-35mm, Agfa APX 100
Very nice photographs Colton. I like the contrast and quality of the images. I know you must have said at some time, but does the film processor also do your scans?
Dave
12-16-2012, 03:49 PM - 1 Like   #1339
Pentaxian
Jonathan Mac's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Madrid, Spain
Posts: 4,201
T-Max 100 in my ME Super, shot in Lanzarote.









12-16-2012, 03:49 PM - 2 Likes   #1340
Pentaxian
Swift1's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Oregon
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,955
QuoteOriginally posted by Jacquot Quote
Very nice photographs Colton. I like the contrast and quality of the images. I know you must have said at some time, but does the film processor also do your scans?
Dave
Thanks Dave.
I do all my own scanning with an Epson V500. When I started shooting film more seriously in 2009, I realized that I wasn't going to be able to afford developing+scanning costs and so after some research I bought a V500.
Since 2009 I've scanned over 300 rolls of film with my V500. If I figure about $5/roll for getting the lab to scan my film, I've saved about $1350 by doing it myself.
12-17-2012, 09:40 PM   #1341
Veteran Member




Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 355
QuoteOriginally posted by Swift1 Quote
Thanks Dave.
I do all my own scanning with an Epson V500. When I started shooting film more seriously in 2009, I realized that I wasn't going to be able to afford developing+scanning costs and so after some research I bought a V500.
Since 2009 I've scanned over 300 rolls of film with my V500. If I figure about $5/roll for getting the lab to scan my film, I've saved about $1350 by doing it myself.
Very nice Swift1, JM.

Here are a couple of shots from a new to me camera and a new to me film.

All of the shots below were taken with a 1950's Argus C-Four rangefinder camera with a fixed Cintar 50mm F2.8 lens on Kentmere 400 and processed with Ilfotec DDX.

I was nervous about trying a new camera and a new film at the same time, but I have to say that I really like this camera and film combo. The film has a nice grain and tone, and the camera works with it to produce vintage looking photos. What do you guys think?


Early morning, wooden boat.

Dock on the river


These were pretty close to wide open with a 300 shutter speed on an overcast day. I was impressed with the sharpness of the old American made lens.

Last edited by bucfan1234; 12-17-2012 at 09:49 PM.
12-17-2012, 11:19 PM   #1342
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Seattle
Posts: 7,068
QuoteOriginally posted by bucfan1234 Quote
...
All of the shots below were taken with a 1950's Argus C-Four rangefinder camera with a fixed Cintar 50mm F2.8 lens
...
I have one of those. Does it looks like this?




12-18-2012, 04:46 AM   #1343
Veteran Member




Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 355
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
I have one of those. Does it looks like this?




Yes, that is the one.

Even though it looks small in photos, its a heavy tank of camera. I really like the rangefinder focus mechanism. There is no meter in the camera, so I basically shot shutter priority and used the free moving aperture ring (no stops) to compensate for the limited shutter speeds of 50, 100, 300. Some of the exposures on the roll were not perfect, but overall I was happy with the result, metered from my iphone.

That said, something is lost when I upload these to photobucket. Not sure what, but they look much better on my pc.


Last edited by bucfan1234; 12-18-2012 at 08:16 AM.
12-18-2012, 10:23 AM   #1344
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Seattle
Posts: 7,068
QuoteOriginally posted by bucfan1234 Quote
Yes, that is the one.

Even though it looks small in photos, its a heavy tank of camera. I really like the rangefinder focus mechanism. There is no meter in the camera, so I basically shot shutter priority and used the free moving aperture ring (no stops) to compensate for the limited shutter speeds of 50, 100, 300. Some of the exposures on the roll were not perfect, but overall I was happy with the result, metered from my iphone.

That said, something is lost when I upload these to photobucket. Not sure what, but they look much better on my pc.
Mine needs a CLA. The shutter is sticky. I was advised not to use it until that is resolved because there is a lever in there somewhere that can easily break when it is sticky.

Last edited by tuco; 12-18-2012 at 11:01 PM. Reason: Spelling, again
12-18-2012, 05:03 PM   #1345
Veteran Member




Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 355
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
Mine needs a CLA. The shutter is sticky. I was advised not to use it until that is resolved because there is a level in there somewhere that can easily break when it is sticky.
Thanks for the heads up. Mine seems to be ok right now, but I will keep a close eye on it.
12-18-2012, 08:06 PM - 1 Like   #1346
Veteran Member
wuzet's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Rzeszow / Maidstone
Posts: 444
P67, SMC 67 105/2.4, Kodak T-Max 100, HC-110, Epson V500





12-18-2012, 10:54 PM   #1347
Site Supporter
gofour3's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Posts: 5,292
QuoteOriginally posted by wuzet Quote
P67, SMC 67 105/2.4, Kodak T-Max 100, HC-110, Epson V500




Nice shots! Was the last one taken in the Bronx near Van Courtlandt House? I went there last June and it looks simular.

Phil.
12-19-2012, 03:01 AM   #1348
Veteran Member
womble's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Hertfordshire
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,323
QuoteOriginally posted by wuzet Quote
P67, SMC 67 105/2.4, Kodak T-Max 100, HC-110, Epson V500
Lovely images. There is something about medium format that makes images "pop" in a way it is harder to reproduce on 35mm.

K.
12-19-2012, 04:09 AM   #1349
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Seattle
Posts: 7,068
wuzet posted some really nice ones too on the medium format thread just recently.
12-19-2012, 06:54 AM   #1350
Veteran Member
Nesster's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: NJ USA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 13,047



1938 Super Ikonta, Holga/Foma 400, HC-110
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
autofocus, camera, d-76, dog, doubt, exposure, film, flickr, fp4, kiev, leak, lens, love, mine, minutes, nikkormat, pentax, phil, photography, pm, post, quality, roll, shot, shots, smc, sp500, station, steve, thanks
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Travel Some B&W film shots from the Gulf of Gaeta, Italy Rense Post Your Photos! 3 04-23-2011 12:22 AM
First post - few b&w shots sealisthenewbeaver Photo Critique 2 09-22-2008 06:40 PM
My Pentax shots in print & film. blwnhr Photographic Technique 5 03-18-2008 05:13 PM
First shots with a zx-5 film camera (c&c welcome) jbrowning Post Your Photos! 2 12-23-2007 08:18 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:59 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top