Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-05-2013, 07:28 AM   #1426
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
Why thanks. Your shot is a good one too.

I'm starting to get a collection of this shot. I pass by it on route to other places on the dunes and usually take a shot of it.

Tree Portrait
The Living & The Dead

100TMX

Wow! Great portrait.

01-05-2013, 07:34 AM   #1427
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by bucfan1234 Quote
So my question is, why would I want to adjust them and in the process lose the unique qualities of each camera and lens? If i do adjust them all to look like ultra clean contrasty BW pics shot with a Pentax/Tak, why not just shoot digital with that lens and go through the standard workflow for digital images?
Because most viewers (and potential purchasers) only care about the image not the means by which it was obtained. I see tweaking in Lightroom as simply analogous to choosing which type/grade of paper to print on and which paper developer to use. Why don't I therefore use digital? Because part of the fun of the process, for me, is using older cameras, lenses and film. As it is a hobby, something that is fun to do and results in nice images is ideal for me. Showing a flat image to a non-photo person and saying "that is the result of using X and Y" isn't going to convince them it is a good image, and doesn't satisfy my desire to create good pictures.

Luckily, there is room in this world for a plethora of motivations, techniques, aims and results so as long as you're happy, all is well.

Best wishes, Kris.
01-05-2013, 08:03 AM   #1428
Veteran Member

Thanks for sharing your perspective on this, and I can see your points. I never thought of pp in those terms before, and it was an honest question, not intended to offend.

My interest in photography is also using old cameras and lenses, and I am happy with the vintage look - the "flatter" ones that I have posted here to which I assume you are referring - that certain camera and lens combos produce. Based on the popularity things like instagram and hipstamatic, there seems to be a market for "x and y" produces "z". Art is subjective and different people have different tastes, so I understand that some may not see the value in them. Well that, or I am wasting my time on a silly idea.

That said, I suppose with lightroom and photoshop we can have our cake and eat it too, saving both images with ease. Interesting stuff.

Like you said, what ever makes you happy.

Last edited by bucfan1234; 01-05-2013 at 08:32 AM.
01-05-2013, 08:14 AM   #1429
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by womble Quote
All taken with an Agfa Isolette II on Tri-X, commercial dev and scan, tweaked in Lightroom.
Lovely photographs, Kris, of a great building. I've never seen photos of the cloister area before. Really beautiful in B&W.

01-05-2013, 08:16 AM   #1430
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by womble Quote
All taken with an Agfa Isolette II on Tri-X, commercial dev and scan, tweaked in Lightroom.

Cathedral Cloister (I)

Cathedral Cloister (II)

Cathedral nave

Banj. Bastard, Sherbourne, Fecit.

Thanks, Kris.
Those are great! I especially like Cloister (II).
01-05-2013, 08:49 AM   #1431
Pentaxian

Thanks for sharing your perspective on this, and I can see your points. I never thought of pp in those terms before, and it was an honest question, not intended to offend.

My interest in photography is also using old cameras and lenses, and I am happy with the vintage look - the "flatter" ones that I have posted here to which I assume you are referring - that certain camera and lens combos produce. Based on the popularity things like instagram and hipstamatic, there seems to be a market for "x and y" produces "z". Art is subjective and different people have different tastes, so I understand that some may not see the value in them. Well that, or I am wasting my time on a silly idea.

That said, I suppose with lightroom and photoshop we can have our cake and eat it too, saving both images with ease. Interesting stuff.

Like you said, what ever makes you happy.
I wasn't offended, just answering your interesting discussion point. Also, my 'flat' comment was actually thinking about my own images because tweaking the contrast is something I do often.

People often enquire why I use film (usually just after expressing amazement that one can still buy the stuff) and I simply answer "because I enjoy it." I use digital a great deal too, especially for work-based stuff, but for fun I now use quite a variety of film cameras from 16mm to 5x4!

Thanks for the kind comments on those images, not bad for a cheap charity shop camera which was made in the 50s!

Best wishes, Kris.
01-05-2013, 10:15 AM   #1432
Site Supporter

I scan as you do, 48 bit saved as tiff and imported to lightroom. Then I do resharpen a bit to try to gain back a bit of what was lost in scanning.

After that, my anecdotal observation has been that different films have vastly different qualities to them and those are affected by the camera and lens combo used - some lens and film combos yield very nice contrast and deep blacks while others yield softer imagines with a more washed out look - and I tend to avoid any adjustment to them in lightroom save straightening and cropping in order to preserve those unique qualities.

So my question is, why would I want to adjust them and in the process lose the unique qualities of each camera and lens? If i do adjust them all to look like ultra clean contrasty BW pics shot with a Pentax/Tak, why not just shoot digital with that lens and go through the standard workflow for digital images?
B&W contrast filters also make a huge difference, more than the lens will.

Phil.
01-05-2013, 11:11 AM   #1433
Pentaxian

I
So my question is, why would I want to adjust them and in the process lose the unique qualities of each camera and lens?
My only argument is that you have lost the original shape of the film's contrast curve when you scanned it. You have to adjust the contrast curve be it in the scanning software or image editor. So is a persons adjustments matching what it would look like with wet printing? I don't know.

01-05-2013, 12:30 PM   #1434
Site Supporter

My only argument is that you have lost the original shape of the film's contrast curve when you scanned it. You have to adjust the contrast curve be it in the scanning software or image editor. So is a persons adjustments matching what it would look like with wet printing? I don't know.
That’s true. I don’t have a scanner that will do 6x7, so I have to get a local photo lab to do the scans at the time of processing. I get medium resolution scans which they do as TIF files.

I’m not sure how the lab does the scans other than they won’t do any PP on them. I look at it as they give me a raw image with all the necessary info and it’s up to me to tweak as I like.

Phil
01-05-2013, 12:37 PM   #1435
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jakeblues Quote
I may have posted this image in another thread...I'm proud of it...
And so you should be. Very nice capture of a once-in-lifetime scene!

Steve
01-05-2013, 03:57 PM   #1436
Veteran Member

How does this one look?

Carl Zeiss Ikon, 50mm Tessar F2.8, Zeiss Sky 27 Filter, Arista,EDU Ultra 400, DD-X 1+9, V600

Last edited by bucfan1234; 01-05-2013 at 04:23 PM.
01-05-2013, 04:22 PM   #1437
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
B&W contrast filters also make a huge difference, more than the lens will.

Phil.

That is true, though most are difficult to adapt to these old cameras.
01-05-2013, 04:25 PM   #1438
Pentaxian

How does this one look?
Super Deluxe!
01-05-2013, 09:06 PM   #1439
Veteran Member

Super Deluxe!

Last edited by bucfan1234; 01-05-2013 at 09:13 PM.
01-05-2013, 11:39 PM - 1 Like   #1440
Pentaxian

While on the subject of contrast, this shot I posted about six months ago but in a neutral gray tone and full tonal scale. Eventually I made a print but this is what I did to it. I crushed the blacks, added a heavy vignette and gave it a brown tone. I can't say that it looks better but worked where it hanging.

320TXP