Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-06-2013, 07:23 AM   #1441
Veteran Member




Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 355
Great!

The previous image that I posted here, from an old argus c-four camera loaded with Kentmere 400 was a bit flat, even though I liked it a lot. So, taking all of your comments into consideration, I did a little pp along the lines we have been discussing, and I am posting it here for your review. Constructive criticism and comments welcome.

The original is posted in post #1351 of this thread.

Argus C-four, 50mm Cintar F2.8, Kentmere 400, DD-X, V600, LR


Last edited by bucfan1234; 01-06-2013 at 07:32 AM.
01-06-2013, 07:49 AM   #1442
Veteran Member




Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Norfolk, UK
Posts: 550
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
While on the subject of contrast, this shot I posted about six months ago but in a neutral gray tone and full tonal scale. Eventually I made a print but this is what I did to it. I crushed the blacks, added a heavy vignette and gave it a brown tone. I can't say that it looks better but worked where it hanging.
Well it sure looks good from where I'm sitting.

Lots of great shots posted in this thread recently.
01-06-2013, 08:26 AM   #1443
Veteran Member




Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 355
... and another. Comments and constructive criticism welcome.


Franka Rolfix Jr, 105MM F3.5, Fuji Arcos 100, 6x9 cropped, DD-X, V600, LR
I think this was shot at F9, 1/200, mid morning, blustery and cold.
01-06-2013, 10:28 AM   #1444
Veteran Member




Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Norfolk, UK
Posts: 550
QuoteOriginally posted by bucfan1234 Quote
... and another. Comments and constructive criticism welcome.


Franka Rolfix Jr, 105MM F3.5, Fuji Arcos 100, 6x9 cropped, DD-X, V600, LR
I think this was shot at F9, 1/200, mid morning, blustery and cold.
Well I much prefer the Acros shot to the Kentmere one. The Acros shot looks fantastic. Sharp, clean, well exposed and just the right amount of contrast. The Kentmere shot looks grainy to me, perhaps underexposed?.... I don't know. I've never used Kentmere before and I don't feel inclined to do so. However I must get some more Acros in as I think I've only got one roll left in the fridge

01-06-2013, 01:41 PM   #1445
Site Supporter
k0og's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Rolla, Missouri
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 646
Bucfan,

That processing looks much better to me than the original - more dramatic and more detail stands out.

I REALLY like your picture of the sailing ship with the Franka and Acros 100!

-Joe-

QuoteOriginally posted by bucfan1234 Quote
Great!

The previous image that I posted here, from an old argus c-four camera loaded with Kentmere 400 was a bit flat, even though I liked it a lot. So, taking all of your comments into consideration, I did a little pp along the lines we have been discussing, and I am posting it here for your review. Constructive criticism and comments welcome.

The original is posted in post #1351 of this thread.

Argus C-four, 50mm Cintar F2.8, Kentmere 400, DD-X, V600, LR
01-06-2013, 03:50 PM   #1446
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Seattle
Posts: 7,017
QuoteOriginally posted by bucfan1234 Quote
... and another. Comments and constructive criticism welcome.
I had to go back and look at the first one. The difference is dramatic.





An experiment with Delta 3200 @ EI 400 on the Dunes




01-06-2013, 09:32 PM   #1447
Site Supporter
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 26,643
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
While on the subject of contrast, this shot I posted about six months ago but in a neutral gray tone and full tonal scale. Eventually I made a print but this is what I did to it. I crushed the blacks, added a heavy vignette and gave it a brown tone. I can't say that it looks better but worked where it hanging.





320TXP
I don't know that I remember seeing the original, but this one works for me.


Steve
01-07-2013, 08:27 AM   #1448
Veteran Member




Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 355
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
I had to go back and look at the first one. The difference is dramatic.





An experiment with Delta 3200 @ EI 400 on the Dunes




Dramatic in a good way I hope?

To your Delta 3200 experiment...Wow! I thought I might like to go to the dunes someday, but on second thought, I think I may get there and be disappointed that they don't look as spectacular in person as they do in your black and white photographs.

01-07-2013, 09:01 AM   #1449
Veteran Member




Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 355
QuoteOriginally posted by Vendee Quote
Well I much prefer the Acros shot to the Kentmere one. The Acros shot looks fantastic. Sharp, clean, well exposed and just the right amount of contrast. The Kentmere shot looks grainy to me, perhaps underexposed?.... I don't know. I've never used Kentmere before and I don't feel inclined to do so. However I must get some more Acros in as I think I've only got one roll left in the fridge
QuoteOriginally posted by k0og Quote
Bucfan,

That processing looks much better to me than the original - more dramatic and more detail stands out.

I REALLY like your picture of the sailing ship with the Franka and Acros 100!

-Joe-
Thanks for the kind words!

Vendee, the Kentmere seems to be grainy by nature, sort of like HP5.
01-07-2013, 09:33 AM   #1450
Veteran Member




Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 355
Snowbirds

Carl Zeiss Ikon, 50mm Tessar F2.8
01-07-2013, 11:34 AM   #1451
Veteran Member




Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Norfolk, UK
Posts: 550
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
I had to go back and look at the first one. The difference is dramatic.





An experiment with Delta 3200 @ EI 400 on the Dunes




I seem to be seeing almost a moire effect particularly on the lower left of frame. Perhaps its from the scanner?
01-07-2013, 11:55 AM   #1452
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Seattle
Posts: 7,017
QuoteOriginally posted by Vendee Quote
I seem to be seeing almost a moire effect particularly on the lower left of frame. Perhaps its from the scanner?
Oh yeah. I didn't notice. I have no idea but most likely from the sharpening. I applied it lightly though.
01-08-2013, 01:54 AM   #1453
Senior Member
keyofnight's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Seattle, WA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 128
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
An experiment with Delta 3200 @ EI 400 on the Dunes
Wow. Stunning. I might have to try Delta 3200 at 1600 or 800.
01-08-2013, 03:31 PM   #1454
Pentaxian
Swift1's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Oregon
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,921
I'm not usually one for the whole Toy Camera/Lomo thing, but when I first read about the new Lomo Belair I thought it looked pretty cool so I sent a link to my wife and to my surprise, her and my family ordered me one for my birthday. After waiting a month, it finally arrived last week and today I finished my first roll.

Here's my first 6x12 frame.

Belair X 6-12, 90mm @f/16, expired Kodak T400CN
01-08-2013, 07:09 PM   #1455
Site Supporter
gofour3's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Posts: 5,196
QuoteOriginally posted by Swift1 Quote
I'm not usually one for the whole Toy Camera/Lomo thing, but when I first read about the new Lomo Belair I thought it looked pretty cool so I sent a link to my wife and to my surprise, her and my family ordered me one for my birthday. After waiting a month, it finally arrived last week and today I finished my first roll.

Here's my first 6x12 frame.

Belair X 6-12, 90mm @f/16, expired Kodak T400CN
That's very impressive for a Lomo and 6x12 to boot!

Phil.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
autofocus, camera, d-76, dog, doubt, exposure, film, flickr, fp4, kiev, leak, lens, love, mine, minutes, nikkormat, pentax, phil, photography, pm, post, quality, roll, shot, shots, smc, sp500, station, steve, thanks
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Travel Some B&W film shots from the Gulf of Gaeta, Italy Rense Post Your Photos! 3 04-23-2011 12:22 AM
First post - few b&w shots sealisthenewbeaver Photo Critique 2 09-22-2008 06:40 PM
My Pentax shots in print & film. blwnhr Photographic Technique 5 03-18-2008 05:13 PM
First shots with a zx-5 film camera (c&c welcome) jbrowning Post Your Photos! 2 12-23-2007 08:18 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:02 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top