Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 27013 Likes Search this Thread
09-29-2014, 06:10 AM   #3241
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dracluff Quote
Pentax MX and the voigtlander 40 f2 SLII with an orange filter
Excellent set. Those reflections in #2 and #5 are graphically strong and also very witty!

09-29-2014, 03:25 PM   #3242
IHS

QuoteOriginally posted by Cuthbert Quote
That's a monument dedicated to the members of the Czechoslovakian commando that killed Heydriech. Such a small memorial for such an important military action?

Yes...it is.

Does anybody know what's that black band at the extreme right of the pics? Is that a problem of the camera or scanning?
I would guess the scanning or maybe even the film...It only occurs on the landscape shots and not the portraits so that makes me think it's not the camera.
09-29-2014, 07:46 PM   #3243

QuoteOriginally posted by baro-nite Quote
Excellent set. Those reflections in #2 and #5 are graphically strong and also very witty!
Thank you very much baro-nite. I am not sure I am pleased with the sharpness but those images were scanned negatives using my K-01, so film flatness was probably not ideal.
09-30-2014, 01:13 AM   #3244
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Cuthbert Quote
Last week I received an Almaz 103, the infamous Soviet K mounted "problem child", supposedly not in working conditions...however after a clean and some little work I took the camera out and shot an Ilford XP2 roll to test it. The results have not been too bad at all.

That's a monument dedicated to the members of the Czechoslovakian commando that killed Heydriech. Such a small memorial for such an important military action?

Sorry for the small composition error and the halo, I didn't have a hood so some pics has suffered flares and ghosts, this specimen of Helios 44-4K doesn't even look to be coated!

Not being metered I used the sunny 16 rule plus my usual exposure adjustment, all the pictures came out but this one is a little overexposed:

Does anybody know what's that black band at the extreme right of the pics? Is that a problem of the camera or scanning?
I had to google this camera, only 9500 sold. Nice pictures.

I think the black band is just a scanning area, or it could be that the camera's spacing is not very accurate.

09-30-2014, 01:25 AM   #3245

Pentax LX, Super-tak 50 1.4 (8 elements) , Tmax 400 developed with Caffenol C-H

I probably used wrong developing times but in the end i like the relults anyway
Attached Images

09-30-2014, 03:22 AM   #3246
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Pan F Plus 50, P67ii, 45/4:

Pan F Plus 50, P67ii, 165/2.8:

09-30-2014, 04:14 AM   #3247

The Pan F in the 67 is an amazing combo. I've only put one roll through mine but the detail is amazing. I really like the golf shot, I can imagine how deep the 'dots' go in that one!

09-30-2014, 04:27 AM   #3248
Veteran Member

Bibz - thought I'd love it, but had it developed at the Ilford Photo Lab, and was disappointed with the results? If any developing gurus want to have a look at my Flickr Pan F gallery, I'd appreciate your thoughts… https://www.flickr.com/photos/rbso/sets/72157647644483927/ photos 04 and 06 especially.
09-30-2014, 06:00 AM   #3249
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Lxlxlx Quote
Pentax LX, Super-tak 50 1.4 (8 elements) , Tmax 400 developed with Caffenol C-H

I probably used wrong developing times but in the end i like the relults anyway
Perhaps also try increasing the agitation profile you use too. It may help with the uneven development as well as speeding up and developing the film more.
09-30-2014, 07:09 AM   #3250
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I tried scanning one of my medium format negs using an Epson V750. Here is a comparison with the lo-res cheap commercial scan:

Commercial:

Hertfordshire landscape par Kris Lockyear, on ipernity

My attempt, scanned at high resolution then reduced for posting in Photoshop:

Straw bales par Kris Lockyear, on ipernity

The main thing I noticed was the sag in the negs when scanning. This one was on the end of the strip so not too bad. I'll have to get one of those "Better Scanning" holders as the Epson one is clearly such a poor design.

Other than that, any thoughts?

Best wishes, Kris.
09-30-2014, 07:11 AM   #3251

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
Perhaps also try increasing the agitation profile you use too. It may help with the uneven development as well as speeding up and developing the film more.
Usually i develop FP4 125 Iso with caffenol C-H standard process and all is good.

With Tmax400 it seems to not work the same way.. i tried looking on the net but there's no tested procedure.
09-30-2014, 07:39 AM   #3252
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Lxlxlx Quote
Usually i develop FP4 125 Iso with caffenol C-H standard process and all is good.

With Tmax400 it seems to not work the same way.. i tried looking on the net but there's no tested procedure.
You may be interested in this article about developing Kodak BW400CN in Caffenol C. Granted Kodak is discontinuing it but it may also work with Ilford's XP2. It is a subject close to my heart; namely, developing for high dynamic range. The guy gets some pretty impressive results from the combo.

He also has an article developing 400TMY in PMK Pytro to get 20 stops of light. I employ this technique with most my 400TMY shots. Except I mostly use a version that gets fewer stops of light but gives me more working ISO than the radical 3 stops overexpose. I use that on 100ACR which means shooting at EI 12 and with colored filters as low as EI 3. Pretty slow film at this point but huge DR, excellent tonal scale and yielding super finer grain. What's not to like about that when you're shooting with a tripod.
09-30-2014, 08:12 AM   #3253
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by womble Quote
The main thing I noticed was the sag in the negs when scanning. This one was on the end of the strip so not too bad. I'll have to get one of those "Better Scanning" holders as the Epson one is clearly such a poor design.

The cheap lab scan does look absurdly over-sharpened. Your v750 scan looks a bit soft, perhaps experimenting with the film hold height is in order, or perhaps it is as you say the sagging film. I bought one of the Lomography "Digitaliza" holders and it might do a bit better at keeping 120 film flat, but I haven't done a direct comparison. You did a nice job picking up the full tonal range on your scan.
09-30-2014, 08:57 AM - 2 Likes   #3254
Pentaxian

Mist and fog can help to create wonderful images:
Here are some recent B/W shots from my Pentax MZ-3 and the Super-Takumar 20mm F4.5 (a fine lens, in my opinion).

Willows disappearing in early morning mist:

From the marina:
"Julle"

Film: Rollei RPX 400 developed in D-76 1+1

Last edited by LaHo; 09-30-2014 at 11:08 AM. Reason: correcting links
09-30-2014, 09:18 AM   #3255
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by womble Quote
I tried scanning one of my medium format negs using an Epson V750. Here is a comparison with the lo-res cheap commercial scan:

Commercial:

Hertfordshire landscape par Kris Lockyear, on ipernity

My attempt, scanned at high resolution then reduced for posting in Photoshop:

Straw bales par Kris Lockyear, on ipernity

Best wishes, Kris.

Looks OK to me, but a bit soft. I've found that my 120 scans (on an old Epson 4870) need a fair whack of sharpening and clarity to look good on screen.