Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-01-2014, 02:30 PM   #3391
Veteran Member

Joined my university's Photography Society this year, which means I finally have access to a fully equipped darkroom!
These are from my first self-developed roll, Fomapan 200 shot on a Chinon CE-5 and developed in R09 at 1:25 for 5 minutes.

This is the Grade II listed Sheffield University Arts Tower, the tallest university building in the UK.

11-01-2014, 02:37 PM   #3392
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by edmundrt Quote
Joined my university's Photography Society this year, which means I finally have access to a fully equipped darkroom!
These are from my first self-developed roll, Fomapan 200 shot on a Chinon CE-5 and developed in R09 at 1:25 for 5 minutes.

This is the Grade II listed Sheffield University Arts Tower, the tallest university building in the UK.

Nice work!

Phil.
11-01-2014, 02:47 PM   #3393
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
Nice work!

Phil.
Thank you! I'm so delighted to be doing my own development at last. And in the midst of a busy, hectic student life there's nothing as relaxing as escaping into the darkroom for an hour or two and forgetting that essay ever existed.
11-02-2014, 03:52 AM   #3394
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
45 Mike : Thanks for viewing -- well, I used the Vivitar on the HOT SHOE as the P30n does not have the standard flash plug as you rightly said -- the other bodies were : 1975 KX for E6 slide film and a 1996 MZ-5 for colour print film but I showed only the B&W in this section of the site .
Here is my Vivitar flash on a Spotmatic F -- one does have the radio trigger .

11-02-2014, 11:50 AM   #3395
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by edmundrt Quote
... there's nothing as relaxing as escaping into the darkroom for an hour or two and forgetting that essay ever existed.
Are you making wet prints too?
11-02-2014, 12:59 PM   #3396
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
FYI, I'd convert your BW400CN files to gray scale if you want BW because apparently they are a RGB color file with a various hues in them such as pink and it shows up on my monitor for instance. This set is not as bad as some others have been though.
No unlike you I don't use digital "helps" to improve my pics, when it's done it's done...oh regarding my presumed incapability to shoot targets in motion I dedicate this shot to you Tuco:

And this is ALL I used:

Plus some Ilfor XP2...for the record that's a falconry show that happened yesterday at the castle, the bird is a baby Andean condor (baby just to say, it's bigger than a royal eagle but still not grown up, 18 months) with still some problems at flying, she "walked" or better "jumped" over the walls and then "launched" herself over the scared crowd...

Then we had Harvey the dumb teen owl who couldn't catch a mouse, but looked cool:

Then another young vulture with a penchant for flying low and fast over the humans, frightening women and children (he almost hit a girl):

In short, cool show, I also have pics in colour but I haven't developed them yet, unfortunately I didn't have the F-1 with the motordrive.
11-02-2014, 01:21 PM   #3397
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Cuthbert Quote
No unlike you I don't use digital "helps" to improve my pics...
Just trying to help. Your shots are not the only C-41 BW film that the labs give you that is not a true gray scale. Use a color picker and you'll see that R !=G != B. Which is fine if a tone was applied but a pink tone is not typically one people use.

And let's be clear. I hope you are not one of those delusional film shooters that think just because their film was converted to a digital file by a lab no post processing was done. Your contrast curve was most likely auto adjusted by a machine and that is s far cry from doing it by hand with a human interpretation and touch. I'd argue yours are robotic. Have you done much wet printing in the old-school style with burning/dodging and various color toning?

11-02-2014, 01:32 PM   #3398
Veteran Member

Just trying to help. Your shots are not the only C-41 BW film that the labs give you that is not a true gray scale. Use a color picker and you'll see that R !=G != B. Which is fine if a tone was applied but a pink tone is not typically one people use.

And let's be clear. I hope you are not one of those delusional film shooters that think just because their film was converted to a digital file by a lab no post processing was done. Your contrast curve was most likely auto adjusted by a machine and that is s far cry from doing it by hand with a human interpretation and touch. I'd argue yours are robotic. Have you done much wet printing in the old-school style with burning/dodging and various color toning?
Yes we are all delusionals, and you're taking it too seriously, if you think that every C-41 development is digitally processed simply throw away all your gear and use a cell camera, what's the difference? Still, it's an hell of a shot to be taken with an old film camera and I'm proud of the result.
11-02-2014, 01:36 PM   #3399
Pentaxian

... if you think that every C-41 development is digitally processed simply throw away all your gear
How long have you been shooting film?
11-02-2014, 01:37 PM - 1 Like   #3400
Veteran Member

One of the last film shots I ever took....from 1998
Attached Images

11-02-2014, 04:03 PM - 1 Like   #3401
Veteran Member

How long have you been shooting film?
Since 1992. However I won't pursue this discussion because to be honest you're the only unlikeable person I found on this board and you're spoiling the pleasure of writing here and interact with cool people, so you can keep talking to yourself at this point.

Now let's return to the pics: I took this one today, it was pretty wet, not an idea light at all, with my Leica IIIb and a new I-50, sunny (or so) rule:

Probably a little underexposed, but at least I didn't photoshop it to fix it.
11-02-2014, 04:13 PM - 1 Like   #3402
Veteran Member

my take on B&W
11-02-2014, 04:37 PM   #3403
Pentaxian

Since 1992. However I won't pursue this discussion because to be honest you're the only unlikeable person I found on this board
I'm sorry it turned out that way.
11-03-2014, 11:52 AM   #3404
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm sorry it turned out that way.
So am I.

Cuthbert, I am somewhat color blind, and do not even notice if your BW400CN photographs are toned a bit. I enjoy your photos - please keep posting!

Tuco, I also enjoy your posts, and I hope neither of you are discouraged in any way.

This is one of my favorite threads, so in general I say "Thanks" to all who post here!

-Joe-
11-03-2014, 04:23 PM   #3405
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
if you think that every C-41 development is digitally processed simply throw away all your gear and use a cell camera, what's the difference?
Sorry to interupt in this drama, but Cuthbert, you may have misread what was Tuco's point. If i may developpe Tuco saying (which was, to be exact)

Your shots are not the only C-41 BW film that the labs give you that is not a true gray scale. Use a color picker and you'll see that R !=G != B. Which is fine if a tone was applied but a pink tone is not typically one people use.
The point of Tuco was just saying that when the lab scanned your BW film, they created a Red / Green / Blue file instead of a Greyscale one.

It's a good remark, because by creating a RGB file, instead of a Greyscale one, the file can have some unwanted tint. In our case, your file have a pink tone in the first picture, and a green one in the last.

Tuco was just suggesting that transforming those RGB file into Greyscale, you can get ride of this unwanted tint (he and I guessed it's unwanted).

I take the liberty here to add, that getting ride off that tint will improve the viewing of the picture : we would'nt be distracted by this pink / green cast, and we could focus more on the quality of the picture, and the subject.

Now, if we put aside this color cast parts, well, i agree on this one

Still, it's an hell of a shot to be taken with an old film camera and I'm proud of the result.