Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 27011 Likes Search this Thread
11-03-2014, 04:52 PM - 1 Like   #3406
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by k0og Quote
So am I.

Cuthbert, I am somewhat color blind, and do not even notice if your BW400CN photographs are toned a bit. I enjoy your photos - please keep posting!

Toned???

However on another board they liked this one:

It was taken with my Leica IIIB, an Industar 50 wide open at f3.5 in a rainy day.

QuoteOriginally posted by aurele Quote
Sorry to interupt in this drama, but Cuthbert, you may have misread what was Tuco's point. If i may developpe Tuco saying (which was, to be exact)

The point of Tuco was just saying that when the lab scanned your BW film, they created a Red / Green / Blue file instead of a Greyscale one.

It's a good remark, because by creating a RGB file, instead of a Greyscale one, the file can have some unwanted tint. In our case, your file have a pink tone in the first picture, and a green one in the last.

Tuco was just suggesting that transforming those RGB file into Greyscale, you can get ride of this unwanted tint (he and I guessed it's unwanted).

I take the liberty here to add, that getting ride off that tint will improve the viewing of the picture : we would'nt be distracted by this pink / green cast, and we could focus more on the quality of the picture, and the subject.

Now, if we put aside this color cast parts, well, i agree on this one
That's not the point, the point is all the delusional stuff, thinking that in any case every C-41 shot has been photoshopped, how old are you, for how long you have shot film and all the other condescending bla bla, but I don't want to go through that crap again, I don't do anything to my pics and I always try to get them right at first shot, that's the reason why I shoot film...adn I use B&W C-41 just because it's convenient in comparison to true B&W.

However another one for you:

That's not perfect, I tried to get the ship in that shop sharp but it was night and I didn't have enough light to open the Nikkor over f1.4, nevertheless it's the best I could do, unlike others I'm still a student.

Last edited by Cuthbert; 11-03-2014 at 05:02 PM.
11-03-2014, 05:31 PM   #3407
Pentaxian

I guess Cuthbert just does the basic printing. That is, he picks his grade of paper, picks a warm or cold tone, puts it under the enlarger and hits it with the light. And what you get is what you get. That must be pure photography.

All my digital scans can be pretty much reproduced with wet printing techniques. Burning, dodging, vignetting and controlling just the highlight and blacks in the picture with filters under the enlarger on multigrade paper which is a unique thing you can do with pyro stained negatives and yields about what you see in my digital versions.
11-03-2014, 05:55 PM   #3408

QuoteOriginally posted by Cuthbert Quote
[…] I'm still a student.
Please don't take this the wrong way and assume people are being condescending for the sake of it. They're trying to offer advice and explain things, which, if you consider yourself a student, is something you should at least give thought to.

No one is criticising you, your pictures, your ability to take them, or your dedication to film photography. It's admirable and relatable… otherwise we wouldn't be here.

That's not the point, the point is all the delusional stuff, thinking that in any case every C-41 shot has been photoshopped, how old are you, for how long you have shot film and all the other condescending bla bla, but I don't want to go through that crap again, I don't do anything to my pics and I always try to get them right at first shot, that's the reason why I shoot film...adn I use B&W C-41 just because it's convenient in comparison to true B&W.
I guess what other people have been trying to say is that whether you yourself make use—or not, as you've been stating all along—of Photoshop, you shouldn't consider the mere act of taking a picture with your camera as final whatsoever.

Whether you like it or not, the lab, whichever lab you've chosen, does process your pictures. There are many variables that already affect the way your film comes out of the developing tank (the choice of chemicals, development time, agitation, etc), then there are many other variables that affect the way your traditional prints come out (the choice of paper, grade, the enlarger itself, masking techniques, development time, post-treatments, etc), and lastly, there are many more variables that affect the way your pictures eventually look to you on screen once digitalised. So, indeed, YOU might not be doing anything to your pictures in Photoshop or anywhere down the line, but a lot of things are being done to them anyway in order for them to just be what they are. If they look good to you in whichever way your lab processes them, well, you've won the lottery! Just don't mistake that for the one true and sole way of doing things.

Ultimately, though, it's a matter of choices. You may decide to make them yourself or let others do them for you. So long as you're aware of that, it's all fine.

(And for the record, I'm a (photography) student too—literally.)
11-03-2014, 08:35 PM - 3 Likes   #3409
Veteran Member

After 3 rolls of Acros100 135-36, I am finally getting the hang of my recently purchased KX, although I still have to adjust curves in the scanned shots to get the contrast I like. Lenses used are my Voigts (Nokton 58/1.4 SLII, APO lanthar 90/3.5 SLII and Color Skopar 20/3.5 SLII).

Now I'm waiting for my filters (yellow and red) to see if these produce the contrast I desire...

11-04-2014, 01:31 AM   #3410
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by vinceloc Quote
After 3 rolls of Acros100 135-36, I am finally getting the hang of my recently purchased KX, although I still have to adjust curves in the scanned shots to get the contrast I like. Lenses used are my Voigts (Nokton 58/1.4 SLII, APO lanthar 90/3.5 SLII and Color Skopar 20/3.5 SLII).

Now I'm waiting for my filters (yellow and red) to see if these produce the contrast I desire...
These look good. The KX is one of my favourite manual SLRs, lovely to use.
11-04-2014, 02:27 AM   #3411
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
That's not the point, the point is all the delusional stuff, thinking that in any case every C-41 shot has been photoshopped
No one is talking about Photoshop, or retouching.

You like printing, so i'll do an analogie : digitalising B&W picture to create a RGB file is like printing B&W picture with color paper and chemistry. Your print won't be only B&W but can have some Yellow / green / pink / magenta tint due to the light used.

Now with digital, it's just saying B&W picture should only be in Greyscale file, so there will be only B&W and no color. SO my advice is juste do "desaturate" and that's it.

all this was a friendly advice. That's it. Now, to me, (no offense here), you don't seem to be wanting to at least listen to other. That, said, your picture are nice.
11-04-2014, 09:42 AM   #3412
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Excellent shots,
I can tell you adjusting in PS or any other program is no different than you would have done in the darkroom in the past, you used filters even in b/w printing and chose paper for it's contrast....... Photoshop is just a different way of achieving the same end. even if the filters get you close (and I have a a couple of full sets of b/w filters including ir) you will still end up adjusting in post. maybe less but it will happen

11-04-2014, 10:22 AM   #3413
Pentaxian

Those are nice contrasty shots!
What type of contrast do you desire?
You can increase the contrast in many ways, such as changing development procedure, etc.

However I believe is best to have a long tonality and adjust by changing the printing filters (or adjusting curves after scanning)
11-04-2014, 11:37 AM   #3414

Those are some great shots. I really like number 3.
11-04-2014, 06:07 PM   #3415
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by titrisol Quote
Those are nice contrasty shots!
What type of contrast do you desire?
You can increase the contrast in many ways, such as changing development procedure, etc.

However I believe is best to have a long tonality and adjust by changing the printing filters (or adjusting curves after scanning)
Thanks!

Unfortunately, I don't develop my shots myself. I send them to one of the few remaining film developers in this part of the world. I may eventually get into the developing of my B+W film, but not right now. In any case, I'm happy with their work.

---------- Post added 11-05-2014 at 09:10 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
Excellent shots,
I can tell you adjusting in PS or any other program is no different than you would have done in the darkroom in the past, you used filters even in b/w printing and chose paper for it's contrast....... Photoshop is just a different way of achieving the same end. even if the filters get you close (and I have a a couple of full sets of b/w filters including ir) you will still end up adjusting in post. maybe less but it will happen
Thanks, that's great input.

---------- Post added 11-05-2014 at 09:22 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
These look good. The KX is one of my favourite manual SLRs, lovely to use.
My setup with the KX and Voigt Nokton 58/1.4 SLII...

Last edited by vinceloc; 11-04-2014 at 06:24 PM.
11-05-2014, 02:29 AM   #3416
Pentaxian

My setup with the KX and Voigt Nokton 58/1.4 SLII...
Oooh, in black.... that belongs in the gear p0rn thread without a doubt.
11-05-2014, 06:53 AM   #3417
Veteran Member

Toned???

However on another board they liked this one:
Toned is not a bad thing, and of course people like the photograph, as it is a good one. If you are philosophically opposed to doing anything with a film scan exept load it on the internet somewhere, then of course you ought to ignore all the conformist sheep who will tell you how to desaturate... and not take it personally, as it is more about them than you.

I see a lot of good analog photography in galleries and museums, and while I understand and often even use pure greyscale, what I see in classic prints is not that. Trying to get something of the vintage paper tones on a digital bitmap is a nice pursuit. Again, this isn't about you so you can ignore what I say
11-05-2014, 07:03 AM   #3418
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
Toned is not a bad thing, and of course people like the photograph, as it is a good one. If you are philosophically opposed to doing anything with a film scan exept load it on the internet somewhere, then of course you ought to ignore all the conformist sheep who will tell you how to desaturate... and not take it personally, as it is more about them than you.

I see a lot of good analog photography in galleries and museums, and while I understand and often even use pure greyscale, what I see in classic prints is not that. Trying to get something of the vintage paper tones on a digital bitmap is a nice pursuit. Again, this isn't about you so you can ignore what I say
I almost always did some kind of toning or another on b/w prints in the darkroom , various processes bring out different aspects of a print. Selenium was the most useful, With the right paper it brings out blacks you can't seem to get any other way, and it is a good archival process
I miss wet process some times (not the cancer causing agents of course..... )
11-05-2014, 09:29 PM - 2 Likes   #3419
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by aurele Quote
Now with digital, it's just saying B&W picture should only be in Greyscale file, so there will be only B&W and no color.
Will people throw things at me if I admit to digitally toning my scanned B&W negatives? I apply faux selenium tone because I like how it looks. Back in the old days, selenium toning was part of my standard darkroom flow.

Steve
11-05-2014, 09:34 PM - 1 Like   #3420
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Will people throw things at me if I admit to digitally toning my scanned B&W negatives?
Steve
They may throw more film at ya! LOL