Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-31-2015, 07:34 AM - 2 Likes   #3706
Pentaxian

I started "scanning" my B&W negatives last year with my K200D instead of my Epson V500 as I found it produced much higher resolution scans. Now I've got a K3 and it's even better for this purpose - the far superior AF makes things easier but the biggest difference is the K3's user modes. I set up the U3 mode to shoot in M mode at ISO 100, RAW, with a negative image in B&W. This way the jpeg straight from the camera gives me a much better idea of how the photo will come out. Especially with exposure as judging correct exposure by seeing a negative image is tough.

With a little cropping or more careful framing I could even use the straight-out-of-camera jpegs. It's a great step forward for using a DSLR for this purpose.

Here are my first few results - I used Agfa APX 100 film in a P30N while I was on holiday in Germany last summer. I've got quite a build-up of B&W negatives to scan.

IMGP0881a
by Jonathan_in_Madrid, on Flickr

IMGP0885a

IMGP0893a

IMGP0921a

IMGP0919a

01-31-2015, 08:24 AM   #3707
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
I started "scanning" my B&W negatives last year with my K200D instead of my Epson V500 as I found it produced much higher resolution scans. Now I've got a K3 and it's even better for this purpose
The new camera scans are looking really good.
01-31-2015, 09:51 AM   #3708
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I started "scanning" my B&W negatives last year with my K200D instead of my Epson V500 as I found it produced much higher resolution scans. Now I've got a K3 and it's even better for this purpose - the far superior AF makes things easier but the biggest difference is the K3's user modes. I set up the U3 mode to shoot in M mode at ISO 100, RAW, with a negative image in B&W. This way the jpeg straight from the camera gives me a much better idea of how the photo will come out. Especially with exposure as judging correct exposure by seeing a negative image is tough.

With a little cropping or more careful framing I could even use the straight-out-of-camera jpegs. It's a great step forward for using a DSLR for this purpose.

Here are my first few results - I used Agfa APX 100 film in a P30N while I was on holiday in Germany last summer. I've got quite a build-up of B&W negatives to scan.

IMGP0881a

IMGP0885a

IMGP0893a

IMGP0921a

IMGP0919a
+1 nice work!

Phil.
01-31-2015, 01:42 PM   #3709

IMGP0881a

IMGP0885a

IMGP0893a

IMGP0921a

IMGP0919a
#3, I think I've sat in the same spot 5 years ago

02-01-2015, 05:54 PM   #3710
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Nikon F2AS, Neopan 400:

Not happy about the development, it's quite grainy.
02-02-2015, 12:13 AM   #3711

Itīs been a while since I last posted here. Here are some photos from a recent trip. All with Me super and pentax A50mm 17. lens.

Tri-x 400 @ 1600, developed in Rodinal 1:100, semi stand for 60 minutes. 10 inversions at the beginning and around 30 min.
Some of them came a bit dusty at the scanning but I donīt mind.

02-02-2015, 02:13 AM   #3712
Pentaxian

A few more fairly abstract shots from Germany:

IMGP0952a

IMGP0963a

IMGP0965a

02-02-2015, 04:05 AM   #3713

IMGP0881a

IMGP0885a

IMGP0893a

IMGP0921a

IMGP0919a
Very good detail and clarity on these shots! How do you "scan" with your K-3? Do you have some kind of negative holder? What kind of macro lens are you using?
02-02-2015, 05:18 AM   #3714
Veteran Member

02-02-2015, 05:52 AM   #3715

Photos: Albums
Fairy Tulle

Hello,

Here's my B&W shot!
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 
02-02-2015, 07:41 AM   #3716
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi Jonathan,

Can you take some photos of your K3 "scanner" setup? I'd like to try this at some point!

02-03-2015, 01:31 AM   #3717
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by _quicksilver_ Quote
Very good detail and clarity on these shots! How do you "scan" with your K-3? Do you have some kind of negative holder? What kind of macro lens are you using?
QuoteOriginally posted by bobbotron Quote
Hi Jonathan,

Can you take some photos of your K3 "scanner" setup? I'd like to try this at some point!
I should have taken a photo the other day when I had it all set up, now that I have two DSLRs. I have some ideas for improvements but this is a question of finding the time to build the necessary equipment.

Basically, I take a photo of the negative using my K3 with DA 35mm limited macro lens. The negative is in a Lomography Digitaliza to keep it flat and the Digitaliza goes into a cut-up shoebox to keep it vertical. The K3 is on a tripod (obviously) and on the other side of the negative is a remotely fired flash pointing straight at the negative and camera, and several layers of translucent plastic to act as a diffuser.
02-03-2015, 08:07 PM   #3718
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

An old city complex near my place is being demolished, took some photos with Ilford 3200.

02-04-2015, 06:33 AM   #3719
Veteran Member

Leica M3, Summicron DR, Elmarit 90mm and Neopan C-41:

02-04-2015, 02:06 PM   #3720
Veteran Member

K1000, Voigtlander Color Skopar 20mm 3.5 SL II, Ilford Delta 3200