Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 27027 Likes Search this Thread
12-12-2015, 08:29 AM   #4471
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I thought a good example might be the various treatments Adams gave the famous "Moonrise over Hernandez New Mexico" negative (there were many), but then I remembered that the negative was not a "careful" creation. In short, the "score" was a mess and very difficult to print.
Steve
There is also some information about the Hernandez shot in his book, The Negative. The light situation, the filter, exposure and the post processing of the negative were given for that scene.

Also in that book is a good tip for all of us that like to roll our own negative development. With dull, low contrast scenes/negatives, you can effectively expand the tonal scale a little much like an N+1 development does ( low tonal values don't shift as much as the higher ones do) by post processing the negative in a solution of one part Selenium Toner with 2 parts Hypo Cleaning Agent for 5 minutes. That's easy to do and you can decide all that later after inspecting the negative.

12-12-2015, 02:59 PM - 3 Likes   #4472
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
A couple from my Petri 7 on Ultrafine Extreme 400 in d76 1+1

12-12-2015, 04:46 PM - 1 Like   #4473
Veteran Member

ME Super, SMC M 35/2, Kodak Trix 400, HC-110
12-12-2015, 08:06 PM - 2 Likes   #4474
Forum Member

Pentax K1000. Kodak B&W film ....some years ago. An advertisement, nearly faded away, on the outside wall of a haberdasher that had long been out of business. The building has since been rehabilitated and painted and is something productive now on Dauphin street, Mobile Alabama. Probably isn't such a thing as a haberdasher any more.....anywhere.

Last edited by Niner Alpha; 12-12-2015 at 08:13 PM.
12-12-2015, 08:40 PM   #4475
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Niner Alpha Quote
Pentax K1000. Kodak B&W film ....some years ago. An advertisement, nearly faded away, on the outside wall of a haberdasher that had long been out of business. The building has since been rehabilitated and painted and is something productive now on Dauphin street, Mobile Alabama. Probably isn't such a thing as a haberdasher any more.....anywhere.
Ghosts of a well-dressed past.
12-12-2015, 08:54 PM - 2 Likes   #4476
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Dirty white...

KX+Voigt58/1.4 SLII+ACROS100

12-12-2015, 09:07 PM   #4477
Veteran Member

This mah kitteh. The last survivor of the the the three amigos, "da boyz", my male cat posse that began in 1997, consisting of Isaac aka "da Bear", Noah aka "da Fishy", and Ishmael aka "da Baby".

This is Ishmael affectionately known as "Da Baby" (he joined the posse quite late in 2003 at the age of about 6 months) ... now he's anything but as he's pushing 14. He's just starting to be a bony old man. Gonna get a bunch of teeth ripped out of his mouth in the next week or so so that he can eat without wincing again. Damn animals. Oh well, he's a good guy. His biggest talent has always been looking "cute" in any position possible - this is some of his work.

Pentax MX - FA 31/1.8 - HP5 Plus pushed+2 - Pakon F135 scan

12-13-2015, 02:59 AM   #4478
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by 45 Mike Quote
A couple from my Petri 7 on Ultrafine Extreme 400 in d76 1+1
Nice vintage look to those - especially like the second. Brings some memories from my childhood when visiting distant family... time flies

QuoteOriginally posted by Niner Alpha Quote
Well spotted and salvaged from destruction!

QuoteOriginally posted by chickentender Quote
Ghosts of a well-dressed past.
Nicely put.. gotta agree with you

QuoteOriginally posted by chickentender Quote
This mah kitteh. The last survivor of the the the three amigos, "da boyz", my male cat posse that began in 1997, consisting of Isaac aka "da Bear", Noah aka "da Fishy", and Ishmael aka "da Baby".
Nice selection of biblical names Any particular reason for selecting them?
+1 lover of that neat Pakon F135 scanner.. really good scans in just seconds!
12-13-2015, 03:27 AM   #4479
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by manntax Quote
Nice selection of biblical names Any particular reason for selecting them?
+1 lover of that neat Pakon F135 scanner.. really good scans in just seconds!
Not really - the first one I named Isaac - dont' really remember why. The second guy was already named Noah - he was another stray rescue from the pound.
Then this last guy's name was "Cane" (for Candy Cane, not Cain biblical) and I thought well that won't do, so ... changed it.
Yeah, I adore the Pakon. It's my second after teh first crapped out. Sure wish they were still made, but then the price would likely be higher than they've already climbed to on the used market. For now I just love scanning 35mm neg.
12-14-2015, 02:31 PM - 2 Likes   #4480
Veteran Member

One of the fun things to try with LF cameras are paper negatives, using printing paper. This morning I did an experiment with pre-flashing the paper by making an exposure (1/4 the 'taking' exposure) with a piece of plain paper in front of the lens (this is to reduce the biting contrast of the orthochromatic paper).

Chamonix 10x8, Symmar-S 360/6.8, Kenthene RC glossy Gr2, Ilford MG developer, V850 scans:

These were actually the 5th and 6th exposures I took. The first four were attempts at guessing the exposure, using two CFT lights and one strobe. I ended up taking these two with eight exposures of one second, and during each one second exposure the flash fired twice! Obviously my guess at rating this paper at ISO12 was, umm, inaccurate, as my flash meter had indicated that a single one second exposure would do it.

And to go from the sublime to the ridiculous, having spent the morning at that, I was inspired to clean up and take out my wife's Pen FT this afternoon. She bought it in 1978, and it must have been ten years old then, and hasn't been used for 35 years. The negatives are sitting in some Rodinal at the moment.

Chris

Last edited by drmoss_ca; 12-14-2015 at 03:24 PM.
12-14-2015, 02:42 PM   #4481
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by drmoss_ca Quote
One of the fun things to try with LF cameras are paper negatives, using printing paper. This morning I did an experiment with pre-flashing the paper by making an exposure (1/4 the 'taking' exposure) with a piece of plain paper in front of the lens (this is to reduce the biting contrast of the orthochromatic paper).

Chamonix 10x8, Symmar-S 360/6.8, Kenthene RC glossy Gr2, Ilford MG developer, V850 scans:

These were actually the 5th and 6th exposures I took. The first four were attempts at guessing the exposure, using two CFT lights and one strobe. I ended up taking these two with eight exposures of one second, and during each one second exposure the flash fired twice! Obviously my guess at rating this paper at ISO12 was, umm, inaccurate, as my flash meter had indicated that a single one second exposure would do it.

And to go from the sublime to the ridiculous, having spent the morning at that, I was inspired to clean up and take out my wife's Pen FT this afternoon. She bought it in 1978, and it must have been ten years old then, and hasn't been used for 35 years. The negatives are sitting in some Rodinal at the moment.

Chris
Looks good, they turned out well!

Phil.
12-14-2015, 03:52 PM - 2 Likes   #4482
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by drmoss_ca Quote
One of the fun things to try with LF cameras are paper negatives, using printing paper. This morning I did an experiment with pre-flashing the paper by making an exposure (1/4 the 'taking' exposure) with a piece of plain paper in front of the lens (this is to reduce the biting contrast of the orthochromatic paper)

....Obviously my guess at rating this paper at ISO12 was, umm, inaccurate, as my flash meter had indicated that a single one second exposure would do it.
Chris
I use my Graflex 4x5 and my Voightlander 6.5x9 plate and B&J 2x3 press all for paper negatives.
I use Ilford #2 5x7 paper that I cut down to fit the film holders. I normally rate my paper at ISO 3, and generally get reasonable results. I have tried using flash, and CFL both, however I find the best results are natural sunlight.

preflashing works well. I generally expose a blue sky unfocused at f:16 and 1/500 for preflash.

12-14-2015, 05:46 PM - 1 Like   #4483
Veteran Member

My first attempt with the PenFT, XP2, Rodinal 1+100:

I see a few scratches, so I need to clean up the film gate a bit more.

Chris
12-16-2015, 10:23 AM - 2 Likes   #4484
Veteran Member

Rolleiflex 3.5F
Schneider Kreuznach Xenotar 75/3.5
Kodak T400CN
Epson V500
12-16-2015, 03:07 PM   #4485
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by 45 Mike Quote
I use my Graflex 4x5 and my Voightlander 6.5x9 plate and B&J 2x3 press all for paper negatives.
I use Ilford #2 5x7 paper that I cut down to fit the film holders. I normally rate my paper at ISO 3, and generally get reasonable results. I have tried using flash, and CFL both, however I find the best results are natural sunlight.

preflashing works well. I generally expose a blue sky unfocused at f:16 and 1/500 for preflash.

Hanhart stopwatch...good taste!