Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-23-2016, 09:36 PM - 3 Likes   #4921
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Jasper, AR and the Buffalo River taken with Pentax Super Program and Pentax-K 17/4 Fisheye on Kentmere 400 and developed in Caffenol-CH by Jason Doss, on Flickr

04-23-2016, 10:00 PM   #4922

QuoteOriginally posted by Xmas Quote
Like that both expressions and sign language.
Not easy to time.
Cheers. Actually that shot was a leap of faith. The scene was too tight for me to frame it through the viewfinder, so I sat the camera vertically on my lap, set focus to around 2m distance, angled it upwards and wished for the best.

Last edited by RR84; 04-23-2016 at 10:15 PM.
04-24-2016, 07:42 AM - 3 Likes   #4923

Photos: Gallery
Developed in ID-11 for 11 minutes Rondinex 35U cont agitation. HP5+, Pentax KM, SMC 30/2.8
Scanned using Canoscan 8400F.

Attached Images

04-24-2016, 08:00 AM - 1 Like   #4924
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RR84 Quote
Cheers. Actually that shot was a leap of faith. The scene was too tight for me to frame it through the viewfinder, so I sat the camera vertically on my lap, set focus to around 2m distance, angled it upwards and wished for the best.
Yes you can put all the time concentration into instinctive point.
Pick a wider angle lens - 2m is good and if you are shy a quiet camera helps.
But when the camera clunks you got the shot.

04-24-2016, 08:10 AM - 3 Likes   #4925
Veteran Member

I just ran across this thread and I thought I'd add a bit of my B&W stuff to it. I have B&W photos of my own that date back to the early 1980s and I have some from my father when he was stationed in Korea during the conflict. I'll post photos in sets to keep things organized. This first set here is some of my earliest work. During most of the 1980s, I worked for an oil compnay -- first Getty Oil Co, which was acquired by Texaco in 1984. These shots were taken when it was still Getty. The setting is the Kern River Field, a huge oilfield that lies just north of Bakersfield, California. Back then, we were producing over 100,000 barrels of oil a day from the field and it was a very complex operation to do this. The oil was produced via a "steam drive" where you had steam injector wells interspersed between the production wells. The crude oil in the Kern River Field is very thick, almost like tar at room temperatures, so injecting steam downhole not only thinned the oil so it would flow, but it provided a drive -- pushing the oil toward the producing wells. Back then we were generating steam by actually burning a portion of the oil we produced in steam generators that were located in groups throughout the field. The oil had all sorts of impurities, so we had to run the flue gas through these giant scrubbers to remove the impurities. I was a scrubber tech back then and we had to perform compliance testing as well as run maintenance checks on the scrubbers, so I was often out at the steam generator sites. These photos come from a few of my visits to some of the sites. The camera I was using back then was a Canon FTb. Lenses varied, but one of my favorites was a Canon FL 35mm f/2.5. For a "walking around" zoom, I was using a Vivitar Series 1 28-90mm f/2.8-3.5. The B&W film I used here was some cheap stuff I bought at a local camera shop. I think it was Foma, but I'm not sure. As I dimly recall, it was from Czecheslovakia. I developed it in D76 full strength.

The giant white plumes you see coming from the scrubbers are almost pure water vapor.

A scrubber tech climbing in the ladder cage

Compliance testing

View from the top walkway on a scrubber

Looking up at a scrubber plume

Steam generator convection sections

A row of steam generators

A steam generator induction fan -- about 5 feet tall

Insulated steam piping distribution

In about 1985, the field was converted over to natural gas to generate steam as part of a cogeneration project. Now, the field generates electricity from burning natural gas to spin steam turbines and the "waste" steam is used for the field's steam drive needs. So no more scrubbers or steam generators and no more having to burn a significant percentage of the production to produce steam.
04-24-2016, 09:05 AM   #4926
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cooltouch Quote
I just ran across this thread and I thought I'd add a bit of my B&W stuff to it. I have B&W photos of my own that date back to the early 1980s and I have some from my father when he was stationed in Korea during the conflict. I'll post photos in sets to keep things organized. This first set here is some of my earliest work. During most of the 1980s, I worked for an oil compnay -- first Getty Oil Co, which was acquired by Texaco in 1984. These shots were taken when it was still Getty. The setting is the Kern River Field, a huge oilfield that lies just north of Bakersfield, California. Back then, we were producing over 100,000 barrels of oil a day from the field and it was a very complex operation to do this. The oil was produced via a "steam drive" where you had steam injector wells interspersed between the production wells. The crude oil in the Kern River Field is very thick, almost like tar at room temperatures, so injecting steam downhole not only thinned the oil so it would flow, but it provided a drive -- pushing the oil toward the producing wells. Back then we were generating steam by actually burning a portion of the oil we produced in steam generators that were located in groups throughout the field. The oil had all sorts of impurities, so we had to run the flue gas through these giant scrubbers to remove the impurities. I was a scrubber tech back then and we had to perform compliance testing as well as run maintenance checks on the scrubbers, so I was often out at the steam generator sites. These photos come from a few of my visits to some of the sites. The camera I was using back then was a Canon FTb. Lenses varied, but one of my favorites was a Canon FL 35mm f/2.5. For a "walking around" zoom, I was using a Vivitar Series 1 28-90mm f/2.8-3.5. The B&W film I used here was some cheap stuff I bought at a local camera shop. I think it was Foma, but I'm not sure. As I dimly recall, it was from Czecheslovakia. I developed it in D76 full strength.

The giant white plumes you see coming from the scrubbers are almost pure water vapor.

A scrubber tech climbing in the ladder cage

Compliance testing

View from the top walkway on a scrubber

Looking up at a scrubber plume

Steam generator convection sections

A row of steam generators

A steam generator induction fan -- about 5 feet tall

Insulated steam piping distribution

In about 1985, the field was converted over to natural gas to generate steam as part of a cogeneration project. Now, the field generates electricity from burning natural gas to spin steam turbines and the "waste" steam is used for the field's steam drive needs. So no more scrubbers or steam generators and no more having to burn a significant percentage of the production to produce steam.
Really interesting material & photos, cooltouch!
04-24-2016, 01:49 PM - 1 Like   #4927
Veteran Member

M2, 35FLE, Pan F, HC-110, X1 scan:

Chris

04-24-2016, 03:07 PM - 3 Likes   #4928
Veteran Member

A few Portraits with my TLRs.

Mamiya C33 (expired AgfaPan APX 100)

Ricoh Diacord (Fomapan 200)

04-25-2016, 12:10 PM - 1 Like   #4929
Veteran Member

M2, Visoflex 3, Summilux 50, Pan F, HC-110, X1 scan:

Chris
04-25-2016, 01:29 PM   #4930
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by malinku Quote
A few Portraits with my TLRs.

Mamiya C33 (expired AgfaPan APX 100)

Ricoh Diacord (Fomapan 200)
These are great, nicely done!
04-25-2016, 07:36 PM - 1 Like   #4931
Pentaxian

Horse and Buggy taken with Pentax Super Program and Pentax-M 120/2.8 on Kentmere 400 and developed in Caffenol-CH by Jason Doss, on Flickr
04-26-2016, 05:33 AM - 1 Like   #4932
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bobbotron Quote
These are quite fantastic, thanks for sharing!
Thank you!

Some more from KL... M2 and 400TMax

V550 scans

04-26-2016, 06:06 AM - 3 Likes   #4933
Veteran Member

somewhere on the streets of Moscow with expired t-max 100

04-26-2016, 08:25 AM - 2 Likes   #4934
Veteran Member

Continuing to dig through scans of B&W images I've taken over the years. I came across a small set I shot while taking a boat-ride tour of the Los Angeles Harbor at San Pedro back in about 1991. I was carrying a Zeiss Super Ikonta BX. Most of my shots were slides, but I did shoot a roll of black and white also. Tri-X, developed in D-76 full strength. Here are some uncropped squares. I also shot some photos of a US Navy frigate, the USS Hepburn. It was docked at San Pedro probably as part of its decommissioning process. The ship was launched in 1969 and decommissioned in 1991. It was sunk as target practice in 2002. I cropped one of the photos for better effect. That Tri-X gets grainy pretty quickly, doesn't it?
Attached Images

Last edited by cooltouch; 04-26-2016 at 09:26 AM.
04-26-2016, 10:58 AM - 2 Likes   #4935
Veteran Member

I read of somebody's 'Dark 2 rule' - ISO400 film, aperture at 1.4 or 2.0 and shutter speed the reciprocal of focal length. So I wandered round the house last night with the M2, Neopan 400, Lux 50 @1.4, 1/60 sec. HC-110 and X1 scans:

Chris