Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-13-2017, 08:01 AM - 6 Likes   #5791
Pentaxian

A few taken last week, the first 2 are shot on a high contrast ISO 50 ortho film called FT12, I wanted to see how it handled the low evening sun.

Pentax MX and Vivitar 19mm f3.8.

This last one was on Kodak Double X movie film as the sun was setting,

Pentax MX and Pentax M 100mm f4 macro.

03-13-2017, 01:46 PM - 2 Likes   #5792
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I bought a Moskva 5 some months ago and have only put a couple of rolls of film through it since I bought it. I'm sure many of you already know this, but this is for those of you who don't. The earlier Moskva 2 and 4 models were Russian knock-offs of the Zeiss Super Ikonta C, a 6 x 9 folder with coupled rangefinder. The Moskva 5 is basically a restyled 4 with a one-piece top cover. These cameras are, from an optical standpoint, very good copies of the Super Ikontas, although they are somewhat crude in construction. My 5 has seen a fair amount of use and not everything works as it should. To open it up, pressing the button on top doesn't work. I have to give the body a good tap and it then springs open. When you open up a Super Ikonta, the front standard smoothly runs out to its stop and locks in place, assuring the lens axis is perpendicular to the film plane. When you open up this Moskva 5 of mine, it takes another little rap to coax the front standard out to its final stop.

After looking at the images I don't think I locked the lens all the way forward for a few of the shots. With at least a couple of the images, most of the image was sharply in focus, but a large portion of one corner was out of focus. Most of the images didn't exhibit this problem. So I blame myself for not insuring that the front standard was locked in place all the way forward.

All three of the following images are crops. Two are just slight crops, for slightly better framing, and one I cropped more to eliminate a blurry corner, caused by the front standard not being locked down.

The film was Tri-X, developed in D-76. I used my Gossen Luna Pro F to determine exposure.

We had a hard freeze here in Houston in January. This bird bath was frozen solid as a result. Note the blurry upper right corner. Even though this was a crop, I couldn't eliminate the blur entirely. But check out all the detail below the bird bath.

We left our outside faucets to drip, to avoid the risk of frozen pipes. The results were some interesting ice formations.

I don't really know why I focused on the neighbor's funky looking garden patch, unless maybe I didn't calculate the hyperfocal setting correctly. I dunno. But at least there's good definition in her shrubs.
03-13-2017, 02:55 PM - 7 Likes   #5793
Pentaxian

This may be a "cheat", but these are expired color film shots developed as B&W ... Agfacolor 100 (expired 05/2005) developed with Ilfotech ... sometimes not a lot of contrast, but that's OK with me ... it's for the fun and adventure ...

03-13-2017, 07:04 PM - 6 Likes   #5794
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
This may be a "cheat", but these are expired color film shots developed as B&W ... Agfacolor 100 (expired 05/2005) developed with Ilfotech ... sometimes not a lot of contrast, but that's OK with me ... it's for the fun and adventure ...
I can't speak for others, but as long as they're developed in B&W chemicals, it's fine by me.

These are a bit old, but a quick search didn't turn anything up so I'm assuming I haven't posted them before. They were shot on ORWO PC7, an East German colour motion picture stock* for which the chemicals are looooong unavailable. Developed in B&W chemicals it produces a very high contrast image — unfortunately I can't tell you which chemicals or how long, as a former co-worker souped these ones up for me.

* My guess is probably stock used for producing the prints rather than shooting, as it's supposedly a positive film.

Pentax K2.
smc Pentax-A 50mm f1.4.
ORWO PC-7.

Last edited by g026r; 03-13-2017 at 08:03 PM.
03-14-2017, 06:18 AM - 2 Likes   #5795
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote

Jean and g026r ,

When a color film is developed in B&W chemicals do the negatives actually come out looking like B&W negatives, or do they have some colors, even if the colors don't interfere with B&W printing?

As for cheating, I think I once posted B&W picture in this thread taken on film, though I did admit the film was color and the scan was converted to B&W. Nobody tarred and feathered me for it. Mostly, though I think I have posted those types in the monochrome thread. I've been shooting much more film lately than digital, and partly that has been to use up some older color film so that most of my film shooting can be in B&W.

Here are a few from a roll of TMax100 I finished recently:

03-14-2017, 05:25 PM - 2 Likes   #5796

I just found a half a dozen rolls that I shot 3-4 years ago and then never sent off to be developed. Oops.

All shot with a Pentax Super-Program; all either T-max 400 or Tri-X; as for lenses, who even knows (but let's be honest: I shoot 90% of everything with a 50, whether it's film or digital)

Circuses and fairs and such:

Tiny things:

03-15-2017, 08:57 AM   #5797
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by goatsNdonkey Quote
When a color film is developed in B&W chemicals do the negatives actually come out looking like B&W negatives, or do they have some colors, even if the colors don't interfere with B&W printing?
Looking like black & white negatives, though generally quite low contrast ones.

(And a correction to the above post: according to my description on Flickr, the developer used for the PC7 was Rodinal. It appears I at least remembered to ask that much. )

03-15-2017, 09:11 AM   #5798
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by g026r Quote
Looking like black & white negatives, though generally quite low contrast ones.

(And a correction to the above post: according to my description on Flickr, the developer used for the PC7 was Rodinal. It appears I at least remembered to ask that much. )
Interesting. It looks like from Jean's examples that could be a good way to go for portraits. If contrast is needed, perhaps converting color-developed-as-color scans to black-and-white is a better way to go.

A couple of rolls of E-6 film have fallen into my possession, and I have consequently been reading about what happens if it is cross-processed in c-41 chemistry. I don't much like the weird color and high contrast of the examples posted in onlne articles about that, but I downloaded copies of a couple of those photos and converted them to black-and-white, and suddenly they looked a 1000% better to me. So when I get around to shooting those E-6 rolls, I may do that: have them cross-processed as C-41 with the aim of seeing what B&W conversions of the scans might look like, holding out very little hope that I will like much in the color versions.
03-15-2017, 04:55 PM - 3 Likes   #5799
Veteran Member

Practika L-2 + CZJ Tessar 50mm f/2.8 with HP5+

03-17-2017, 05:17 AM - 4 Likes   #5800
Veteran Member

When I discovered that XP2 could be processed in B&W chemicals (I still get people who assure me this isn't possible) with very fine grain I bought an awful lot of it for the freezer. I have recently begun to experiment with abusing it in the ways that standard silver halide films can be pushed and pulled, just to see if it stands up to it. So for a starting point I exposed a roll at EI 200, and cut the processing time in half, and wandered about the house taking photos of the relatively dark interior with a bright window in the frame. I just wanted to see if I could get a reasonable image in both areas. This is the kind of thing I got:

On scanning this negative the histogram was showing it 1-2 stops underexposed, so I should try again at EI 100, or maybe just a bit longer in the developer. The other thing I'd like to do is find out of pushing it is possible without excessive grain. I know that XP2 goes very grainy in Diafine and in Qualls' monobath and I suspect I'll find I can get one stop but probably not two extra out of it before it gets too crunchy, but you don't know unless you try!
03-17-2017, 06:58 AM   #5801
Veteran Member

I dunno, I think it came out looking just fine. Maybe just a touch of contrast in post, but it looks good just as it is. Grain is moderate to fine and really only shows in the shadow areas.
03-17-2017, 07:29 AM - 2 Likes   #5802
Veteran Member

This is an old one, pretty sure it was on my KM. Snowy day looking over the Potomac River.

ME Super (maybe?). Both of these were before I took notes.
03-19-2017, 12:12 PM - 2 Likes   #5803
Veteran Member

F6, 105/2.8D and 28-300/3.5-5.6G, XP2, HC-110, X1 scans as per usual:

and a couple of my dependents:

The chipmunk has only emerged from her burrow in the last week and is already climbing on my hand for sunflower seeds. Perhaps she remembers me from last year.

C.
03-20-2017, 12:27 AM - 2 Likes   #5804
Pentaxian

Here are some Delta 100 images taken with the LX and K 50/1.2 wide open ... all home developed in Ilfotech and scanned via Epson V600 ... the cat image didn't come out as hoped, but still included ...

03-20-2017, 03:46 AM - 4 Likes   #5805

Pentax KX + SMC 18 3.5
TriX + D76
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
OpticFilm 8100  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
OpticFilm 8100  Photo