Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-09-2017, 01:16 AM - 5 Likes   #6481
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Kodak UltraMax 400 color negative film developed at home with Ilfotech (29+1) for 15 minutes ... I set the Epson V600 for color negative film and got some different random tints ... an experiment.

First two are with a Minolta XD-7 and a MD 50/1.2 near f/2 and the last are with a MD 50/3.5 Macro plus a n°2 Makinon extension tube

11-09-2017, 02:19 AM   #6482
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by drmoss_ca Quote
Vendee: see above.
Thanks Chris. I think I skimmed your original post and thought you were still talking about the FP4.

So I've loaded up my Kiev 4 with the expired XP2 super and started exposing at ISO 100. It also gives me he chance to see if I've definitely fixed my shutter light leak on the Kiev.

I read through your APUG post..... very interesting. Did you prefer the Rodinal or the HC110 for developing the XP" Super? The film edge scans were interesting.
11-09-2017, 02:23 AM - 6 Likes   #6483

leica summilux-R 80mm (with leitax)
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
11-09-2017, 03:41 AM - 3 Likes   #6484
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Another Cairns view. MX M40 etc

11-09-2017, 06:12 AM - 4 Likes   #6485
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Vendee Quote
Thanks Chris. I think I skimmed your original post and thought you were still talking about the FP4.

So I've loaded up my Kiev 4 with the expired XP2 super and started exposing at ISO 100. It also gives me he chance to see if I've definitely fixed my shutter light leak on the Kiev.

I read through your APUG post..... very interesting. Did you prefer the Rodinal or the HC110 for developing the XP" Super? The film edge scans were interesting.
Rodinal is definitely not as smooth with XP2, unless you choose to go this way: ISO 200, 1+100, semi-stand for one hour. I'm still experimenting a bit with Rodinal in place of HC-110, as I have several bottles of it in the chemistry fridge, and I was running low on HC-110. But now I have some Legacy pro LP110, so the pressure is off to find a way of using the Rodinal instead. This is XP2 in semistand Rodinal:

I can't put too much faith in those edge scans - longer film holders in Flextight scanners are prone to have the magnetic flap slide on the steel backing as they are curved and straightened as the two layers curve with different radii. The flap often has a buckle in it after it has been in and out of the scanner a few times, and this shifts the negative slightly. Normally this doesn't have any blurring effect as the negative tends to shift only as the holder is ejected - consequently you might not get the exact frame you had drawn a marquee around, but it will be sharp. But to scan the edge of the film the negative has to be placed incorrectly in the holder, and is unsupported at the edge being scanned. You can see some of the letters in the edge lettering are distorted as a result. If I could be bothered, I'd do them over again on the Nikon 9000. Nonetheless, there does seem to be a reason to think the C-41 process adds a little sharpness, but I have no complaints about the detail I get with B&W chemicals in practice. They have the advantage of speed, simplicity and cheapness and let me keep my C-41 kits for colour films, But that's just me being lazy and cheap; the real benefit is that XP2 proves itself to be a very versatile film with next to no grain even when pushed to 1600.
11-09-2017, 09:36 AM - 3 Likes   #6486
Pentaxian

Let your gun get in the wrong hands

Until I figure out how to digitize the film I develop, this will have to do, a digital photo of a print. It doesn't to justice to the physical print. Made this print last night. Taken with a Pentax ME Super, SMC-M 75-150mm F4.0, Ilford HP5+ 400. Developed with Ilfotec HC 1+31 for 6:30. Printed at F8 for 15 sec with #5 filter on Ilford Multigrade IV RC glossy.
11-09-2017, 11:40 AM   #6487
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by murrelet Quote
Until I figure out how to digitize the film I develop, this will have to do, a digital photo of a print. It doesn't to justice to the physical print. Made this print last night. Taken with a Pentax ME Super, SMC-M 75-150mm F4.0, Ilford HP5+ 400. Developed with Ilfotec HC 1+31 for 6:30. Printed at F8 for 15 sec with #5 filter on Ilford Multigrade IV RC glossy.
A flatbed scanner would probably be sufficient for scanning a print.

11-09-2017, 11:43 AM   #6488
Pentaxian

... Printed at F8 for 15 sec with #5 filter on Ilford Multigrade IV RC glossy.
Is the enlarger a condenser or diffusion/cold light/dichroic type? I use to check my development process by printing on a fixed grade #2 paper. And if it printed well on it, I figured my develop time and exposures were in good shape.
11-09-2017, 01:25 PM   #6489
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by timw4mail Quote
A flatbed scanner would probably be sufficient for scanning a print.
I don't have access to a scanner yet. That will change when my darkroom class ends at the community college this term and can make it to the open hours at the community darkroom that recently opened. I'll have to get my hands on a real laptop, though. That Chromebook purchase last year is looking like a bad investment.

---------- Post added 11-09-17 at 12:28 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
Is the enlarger a condenser or diffusion/cold light/dichroic type? I use to check my development process by printing on a fixed grade #2 paper. And if it printed well on it, I figured my develop time and exposures were in good shape.
I have no idea. This is my first darkroom class. I need to get the basics down, then explore what else is out there. Fun stuff!
11-09-2017, 02:08 PM   #6490
Pentaxian

I have no idea. This is my first darkroom class. I need to get the basics down, then explore what else is out there. Fun stuff!
Okay. It's a good idea to know the type of enlarger you're using at some point. Published development times from sources like Kodak and Ilford usually target the contrast index of either a condenser or diffused enlarger. And when you start fine tuning your results, you may find about a 15% difference in development times between the two types. And if that school has a densitometer, get them to teach you how to use it and do speed tests and such while you have access to one.

I can develop negatives and scan but my wet printing is been off line for many years now when I moved and ended up not having a workable location for a darkroom. But I still have the gear and I'm hoping to get back into it in the future. Papers all have a characteristic curves to them too. So much to learn.
11-09-2017, 07:27 PM - 7 Likes   #6491
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
First roll back through the Contax. Good news is it seems mostly OK: shutter fires with enough accuracy for B&W; no major light leaks. Bad news is that it confirmed that my newer CZJ Sonnar 50/1.5 is indeed off when it comes to focus. Would likely work well on a mirrorless digital, but not on any Contax that hasn't been adjusted to work with it.

Zeiss Ikon Contax II.
Carl Zeiss Jena Sonnar 5cm f1.5.
(Not the one mentioned above. This is a slightly older one that's unfortunately pretty hazy with age.)
Ilford HP5+
11-11-2017, 03:46 AM   #6492

QuoteOriginally posted by g026r Quote
First roll back through the Contax. Good news is it seems mostly OK: shutter fires with enough accuracy for B&W; no major light leaks. Bad news is that it confirmed that my newer CZJ Sonnar 50/1.5 is indeed off when it comes to focus. Would likely work well on a mirrorless digital, but not on any Contax that hasn't been adjusted to work with it.

Zeiss Ikon Contax II.
Carl Zeiss Jena Sonnar 5cm f1.5.
(Not the one mentioned above. This is a slightly older one that's unfortunately pretty hazy with age.)
Ilford HP5+
Yes .... I have a CZ M 50/1.5 Sonar which was always tricky on a film M body but now on my A7s I can shoot it without any focus issues.
11-12-2017, 09:43 AM - 2 Likes   #6493
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Obligatory Eiffel Tower photo

I think one of these is required or they won't let you leave CDG...
Or maybe that's just how CDG works anyway

Anyway, Pentax MX with SMC-A 50mm f1.4, between f8 and f11, shutter at 1/500 I think... the camera meter was basically confirming sunny 16...
Ilford XP2 developed and scanned by a local lab in Paris.
And those are birds, not dust

-Eric
11-12-2017, 10:42 AM   #6494
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote
And those are birds, not dust
-Eric
Important to know, since it is very hard to clean birds off of negatives. I speak from experience.
11-12-2017, 11:48 AM   #6495
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
One of the other images has what I thought was residue from a poor rinse... nope... the gold dome of Holy Trinity Cathedral behind some trees...

-Eric