Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-13-2018, 07:49 PM   #6811
Pentaxian

Amazing. Apparently, property owners have no rights in NY. If you came home and found your house all spry painted, you cleaned it and then was sued, you'd say, okay, sorry for destroying your work. Here is a pile of money you deserve for defacing my house.

02-13-2018, 08:47 PM - 1 Like   #6812
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by yucafrita Quote
Hi, how do you find the focal length of the Wi? Do you use the Wi for portraits etc, too? I have a GA645Zi (zoom) and sometimes I'd like to have a bit more on the low end. I think about exchanging the Zi with a Wi...
I got the camera for our trip to Nepal and Bhutan to shoot landscapes. I have a Pentax 645Nii with lenses with focal lengths of 45-200 that I use for car road trips and portrait work.
If I were to pack the Pentax for the Nepal trip my wife would kill me! My backup camera will be a Fuji X-T1 with the 18-55 kit for low light/night and street shooting. The lens on this Fuji 645 is excellent and I am told the camera is solid and reliable.
02-14-2018, 03:12 AM   #6813
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
Amazing. Apparently, property owners have no rights in NY. If you came home and found your house all spry painted, you cleaned it and then was sued, you'd say, okay, sorry for destroying your work. Here is a pile of money you deserve for defacing my house.
Get off my lawn!!!
02-14-2018, 08:54 AM   #6814
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There is a big different between graffiti and a wall mural. Many cities, including Vancouver, have mural festivals where the "artists" do the sides of buildings in specific areas. (With the buildings owners permission of course) Then people come down and view the murals during the festival and chat with the artists. NYC also has many wall mural areas where the art is protected.

This shot is from Melbourne a few years ago, in an area with many wall murals. (KX & K50/1.4 shooting Kodak E100VS)

Big difference between this shot and tagging.....

Phil.

02-14-2018, 10:25 AM   #6815
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
There is a big different between graffiti and a wall mural. Many cities, including Vancouver, have mural festivals where the "artists" do the sides of buildings in specific areas. (With the buildings owners permission of course) Then people come down and view the murals during the festival and chat with the artists. NYC also has many wall mural areas where the art is protected.

This shot is from Melbourne a few years ago, in an area with many wall murals. (KX & K50/1.4 shooting Kodak E100VS)

Big difference between this shot and tagging.....

Phil.
Our famous former mayor -- yeah, the crackhead -- campaigned against graffiti and liked to have his picture taken when he posed with a power washer. There is/was a city ordnance requiring owners to keep their property scrubbed of graffiti at their expense. After he went away the graffiti controversy did too, but not the graffiti. Murals are a different animal. Sometimes taggers are invited to make murals, but graffiti is generally a subversive (not to mention illegal) pastime. Some graffiti is crude and ugly, but a fair bit is quite inventive and creative. I think it can add something to the visual environment, something more interesting than e.g. chain restaurant signage and litter. YMMV.

02-14-2018, 10:32 AM - 2 Likes   #6816
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Could I politely suggest we get back to BW photos in this thread, and start one elsewhere to debate the merits or otherwise of graffiti?

Thanks, Kris.
02-14-2018, 01:22 PM   #6817
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dsmithhfx Quote
Get off my lawn!!!
Yeah, I got to admit, that's what I sounded like.

02-14-2018, 01:53 PM - 1 Like   #6818
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
Yeah, I got to admit, that's what I sounded like.
I still like your pictures. All of 'em.
02-14-2018, 11:02 PM - 2 Likes   #6819
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
This tree

Y'see, I'm on the fence with this one. People I've shown it too really like it, and I initially did too. But...I dunno, it's just a picture of a tree in the end, nothing beyond that...and I'm ambitious.

02-15-2018, 08:06 AM - 4 Likes   #6820
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

MX
50/1.4
Arista 200
Sprint chems
02-15-2018, 04:10 PM - 2 Likes   #6821
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Baby Black

Baby Black by Benjamin Chan on 500px.com
Multnomah Park Cemetery. First roll of Kosmo Foto Mono 100. Pentax K2, SMC Pentax-M 50mm F1.4, Kosmo Foto Mono 100, Kodak D-76 1:1 20 deg C 9:00
02-15-2018, 04:24 PM - 1 Like   #6822
Pentaxian

Soviet camera, and soviet film far past its due date.

• Kiev 6C
  • Vega 12 90/2.8
  • Svema Foto 100 (Expired 1996)
Each image is linked to the full size scan.

02-15-2018, 10:45 PM   #6823
Veteran Member

Tim, what did you use for a scanner? I looked at a couple of the shots and they were impressively sharp. Excellent resolution.
02-16-2018, 06:42 AM   #6824
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by cooltouch Quote
Tim, what did you use for a scanner? I looked at a couple of the shots and they were impressively sharp. Excellent resolution.
Epson Perfection V550 Photo. I used Epson scan for all but one frame, which I had to manually crop out in ViewScan. My original scans are around 9,000 pixels per side.

Sometimes all that detail just exposes the flaws better, though. Considering how pale and low contrast these negatives are, the scans seem to have turned out pretty well.
02-16-2018, 09:55 AM - 9 Likes   #6825
Veteran Member

A couple from last week's stroll in the GSMNP...

I'm just getting my feet wet with B&W film and am experimenting trying to get a good negative--in this case I rated Acros at half box speed and had the lab push it a stop. (In a few months, I'm looking forward to doing my own developing...from what I've read, Acros in two-bath Pyrocat might be the place to start when roll film makes fine tuning of development times impractical.)