Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 27064 Likes Search this Thread
04-25-2021, 06:07 AM - 1 Like   #10171
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote
Wait... you thread your own spokes?

I now feel like a complete slacker for buying them done already...

-Eric
Excessive consumption of "essential herbs" can lead to eccentric behaviours.

Just sayin'

04-25-2021, 09:46 AM   #10172
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
I really like the smooth tones in this one. How do you find shooting with such a slow film?
No problem in daylight. Using Sunny F16, ISO 6 = 1/125@F4 in bright sunlight. I've also been shooting Lomo Babylon 13 which gives a stop more light.

While Fantome is a very precise ortho film (reds become black), Babylon is a very old school pan film that seems to have no anti-halation layer, so backlit subjects glow. Very cool effect. Anyway, developing that today.

Many use these slow films in bright light with a tripod and stopped down, to give blurred motion with distinct shadows. Have not tried that yet, but I'm sure I will!
04-25-2021, 10:00 AM   #10173
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote
Wait... you thread your own spokes?

I now feel like a complete slacker for buying them done already...

-Eric
Well, normally I have a bike shop cut and thread the spokes after figuring out how long they need to be and I lace/true the wheel myself. The bike shop has a professional machine to do that. But this wheel set I decided to purchase that simple tool in the photo and try it myself.

You can order spokes already made. But today there are so many different sizes and it seems the majority are black spokes and rims. I'm assembling a silver colored rim and spoke set. Plus there is a bicycle parts shortage. So my approach is to have on hand long blank spokes, take them to a bike shop to be cut/threaded. You can have them ready the same day instead of waiting for mail order.
04-25-2021, 10:02 AM - 9 Likes   #10174
Veteran Member

Nikon F3P, Zeiss ZF.2 50mm f2, Lomo Babylon 13, Cinestill DF96 Monobath

04-25-2021, 10:16 AM - 1 Like   #10175
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
Well, normally I have a bike shop cut and thread the spokes after figuring out how long they need to be and I lace/true the wheel myself. The bike shop has a professional machine to do that. But this wheel set I decided to purchase that simple tool in the photo and try it myself.

You can order spokes already made. But today there are so many different sizes and it seems the majority are black spokes and rims. I'm assembling a silver colored rim and spoke set. Plus there is a bicycle parts shortage. So my approach is to have on hand long blank spokes, take them to a bike shop to be cut/threaded. You can have them ready the same day instead of waiting for mail order.
The last couple of wheels I put together I ordered the spokes online, but that was before any COVID related shortages. Wheel building is fairly therapeutic

-Eric
04-25-2021, 12:51 PM   #10176
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dsmithhfx Quote
Excessive consumption of "essential herbs" can lead to eccentric behaviours.

Just sayin'
You know what I find funny is the State's approach with regulating this "essential herb" compared to how it handles other legal drugs. It's confusing, at least to me. First, I can go in to a grocery store, purchase a very dangerous substance that is very addictive, killed more people than anyone can count and destroys lives without having to show any legal identification.

But at an "essential herb store", you need ID to enter the store. They want to see the ID again at purchase time. They want your birthday. They enter stuff into a network connected computer system. They really want your phone number too. And there are networked cameras everywhere. I dunno. The scale just seem off to me.
04-25-2021, 02:58 PM - 5 Likes   #10177
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Some street photos that I'm finally getting around to going through, despite having been scanned shortly after they were originally developed. Taken of outdoor crowds during & immediately after the final game of the 2019 NBA Finals.

Shots 1 & 2 were with a Canon F-1 & an uncertain lens — likely a 50/1.4. Unsure on the emulsion of 1 though I'd wager probably HP5, but 2 was definitely Tri-X.

Shots 3 & 4 were with a Minolta AF-C I had shoved in my pocket when I went out. Not certain the emulsion either but my guess is probably the last of either my Efke KB50 or KB100. I miss Efke for the very classic look it gave but I certainly don't miss its ability to attract dust while drying.

Last edited by g026r; 04-25-2021 at 08:22 PM.
04-25-2021, 04:57 PM   #10178
Pentaxian

You know what I find funny is the State's approach with regulating this "essential herb" compared to how it handles other legal drugs. It's confusing, at least to me. First, I can go in to a grocery store, purchase a very dangerous substance that is very addictive, killed more people than anyone can count and destroys lives without having to show any legal identification.

But at an "essential herb store", you need ID to enter the store. They want to see the ID again at purchase time. They want your birthday. They enter stuff into a network connected computer system. They really want your phone number too. And there are networked cameras everywhere. I dunno. The scale just seem off to me.
Here you just need proof of age photo id which they mysteriously don't ask for in my case. You can also pay with cash. There's quite a markup (~100%) over online orders direct from da gubbermint for delivery direct to your mailbox (free shipping too).

It varies quite a bit by province.
04-25-2021, 05:18 PM - 4 Likes   #10179
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

04-25-2021, 08:14 PM   #10180
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Bought any pseudoephidrine lately?

Steve
04-25-2021, 09:07 PM   #10181
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pike Place Seattle in 2017
Fuji GSW690III (65mm), Delta 3200, PMK

Lol, have never seen it empty!

Basil
Spokane

04-26-2021, 07:17 AM   #10182
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Bought any pseudoephidrine lately?

Steve
No...
04-26-2021, 09:27 AM - 7 Likes   #10183
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

04-26-2021, 10:54 AM   #10184
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
No...
Need ID and signature for any amount.

Steve
04-26-2021, 11:12 AM - 5 Likes   #10185
Veteran Member

Leica R9, Summilux 50, Lomo Babylon 13, Cinestill DF96 Monobath

Babylon 13 is Orwo 21 (markings on it say that), and it is a really old school vintage look film. Pretty much no anti-halation layer so almost all the images have a slightly hazy look. Also seems very soft/prone to scratching.