Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 27060 Likes Search this Thread
11-24-2021, 06:04 AM - 1 Like   #10936
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
This is an important post for me in this thread. Last night I home-developed a test roll of film - my first ever attempt at developing - and this is the first negative I've digitised from that roll. It's not going to win any prizes or even admiring glances - but it's special to me

This is the old Wesleyan Chapel (c. 1880) in Chester-le-Street, Co. Durham, England... taken on a dull day with mostly white-washed sky

["Wesleyan Chapel, Chester-le-Street" - Agfa Isola II 6x6, Fomapan 200, Rodinal (Fomadon R09) 1+50 for 10"]
Looks good in every respect! I developed my own stuff for many years but stopped in the 1990 due to lack of time. In 2018, after a 25 years break, I started again developing my B&W negs when my son asked me to teach him how to do it. After about 30 rolls of film in my “second life”, it still gives me a thrill opening the tank to see how the film turned out.

11-24-2021, 10:02 AM - 7 Likes   #10937
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote
Looks a lot better than my first try, which had loads of light leaks and timing issues

I'd say it's a good first effort
Thank you, Eric In all honesty, I had my fair share of issues... cutting the end of the roll too short so there wasn't enough room for the clip when hanging to dry; wearing a rough woolly jumper during developing, not realising there were strands of wool on my hands, and transferring them to the wet film strip when squeegeeing with my fingers... plus some over- and under-exposure on certain shots, as I was guessing shutter and aperture combinations for the lighting. But, overall, it went better than expected for a first attempt

QuoteOriginally posted by wkraus Quote
Looks good in every respect! I developed my own stuff for many years but stopped in the 1990 due to lack of time. In 2018, after a 25 years break, I started again developing my B&W negs when my son asked me to teach him how to do it. After about 30 rolls of film in my “second life”, it still gives me a thrill opening the tank to see how the film turned out.
Many thanks I'm not sure I get the thrill just yet... I'm still at the anxiety-coupled-with-dread stage, followed by relief when it looks like there's at least something on the film, useable or otherwise I expected the first roll would be valuable practice but probably a total failure, and if I got a single useable shot from it, that would be a bonus. So, I'm delighted to be able to post a second one from the same roll...

This is Chester Burn Viaduct, built c.1862 - 68:

["Chester Burn Viaduct, Chester-le-Street, England" - Agfa Isola II 6x6, Fomapan 200, Rodinal (Fomadon R09) 1+50 for 10']

Last edited by BigMackCam; 11-24-2021 at 10:21 AM.
11-24-2021, 10:52 AM   #10938
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This is Chester Burn Viaduct, built c.1862 - 68:
Great results Mike!

Phil.
11-24-2021, 11:05 AM - 1 Like   #10939
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
Great results Mike!

Phil.
Thank you kindly, Phil I owe a debt of gratitude to @Viking42 for his advice on gentle agitation with Rodinal, the use of water instead of acidic stop bath (for this developer only), and the choice of Ilford Rapid Fixer. I'd been led to believe Rodinal can result in pronounced grain, but I was pleasantly surprised by the results from this first run with Fomapan 200. There's plenty of detail, but the grain is really rather mild. So... Thank you, Svend!

11-24-2021, 04:20 PM - 8 Likes   #10940
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This barge ran aground during the rain/wind storm we had here on November 14/15th. The coastguard has been unable to budge it and are waiting for the next "King tide", where the water levels are higher.

The barge is now becoming part of the English Bay landscape......

(Spotmatic & Takumar 55/1.8, shooting Tmax 400)

Phil.

Last edited by gofour3; 11-25-2021 at 04:52 AM. Reason: Correct date.
11-24-2021, 04:56 PM - 2 Likes   #10941
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice shot. Yeah, saw this on the news the day after the storm. My brother in Tsawwassen said he has never seen such rain and wind before (but he was only 5 years old when Typhoon Freda ripped through in October 1962). They are going to need more than one tug to float that barge off the beach.

---------- Post added 11-24-21 at 04:08 PM ----------

QuoteQuote:
BigMackCam;5445032] Thank you, Eric In all honesty, I had my fair share of issues...
LOL! Haven't we all. We could probably fill 20 forum pages listing the newbie mistakes when learning film developing. Eventually it will alll become muscle memory, Mike, but it will take a while to get there.

Jack
11-24-2021, 06:18 PM - 1 Like   #10942
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This is an important post for me in this thread. Last night I home-developed a test roll of film - my first ever attempt at developing - and this is the first negative I've digitised from that roll. It's not going to win any prizes or even admiring glances - but it's special to me

This is the old Wesleyan Chapel (c. 1880) in Chester-le-Street, Co. Durham, England... taken on a dull day with mostly white-washed sky

["Wesleyan Chapel, Chester-le-Street" - Agfa Isola II 6x6, Fomapan 200, Rodinal (Fomadon R09) 1+50 for 10']
I wish my test rolls through antique cameras using new film/developer combos looked so good. Yes, it is special!

11-25-2021, 01:00 AM - 7 Likes   #10943
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

["Wesleyan Chapel, Chester-le-Street" - Agfa Isola II 6x6, Fomapan 200, Rodinal (Fomadon R09) 1+50 for 10']
Nice result !

cutting the end of the roll too short so there wasn't enough room for the clip when hanging to dry
That's why I use clothes pegs

Suzuki Optical Co. Press Van • Asahi Kogaku Takumar 1:3.5 F=75mm
Adox CMS II 20 ISO film in home made Caffenol CLCN 16min @ 20°C
Scanned with Plustek OpticFilm 120 at 2400dpi with Silverfast AI Studio 9

Scheveningen • Nederland

Caffenol CLCN
500 ml Filtered Water
5gr Anhydrous Washing Soda
1gr Vitamin C
6gr Instant coffee ("Cora")
10 slow inversions then 3 times every 3 minutes for 15 minutes, fixing 60 sec.
11-25-2021, 01:34 AM - 1 Like   #10944
Pentaxian

T...Last night I home-developed a test roll of film - my first ever attempt at developing
Congratulations. It turned out well.
11-25-2021, 02:55 AM - 6 Likes   #10945
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Another from my first test roll...

["Old Railway Bridge - Plawsworth, Chester-le-Street, England", Agfa Isola II 6x6, Fomapan 200, Rodinal (Fomadon R09) 1+50 @ 10']

Last edited by BigMackCam; 11-25-2021 at 08:29 AM.
11-25-2021, 08:26 AM - 4 Likes   #10946
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

The last (I think) of my more useable shots from the first test roll...

["Road-side Stone Cottage - Plawsworth, Chester-le-Street, England", Agfa Isola II 6x6, Fomapan 200, Rodinal (Fomadon R09) 1+50 @ 10']
11-25-2021, 09:55 AM - 1 Like   #10947
Veteran Member

Chester-le-Street! My mother was born in Durham, and I still remember the rhyme she taught me as a child:

There was a man, he went mad,
He jumped into a paper bag;
The paper bag was too narrow,
He jumped into a wheelbarrow;
The wheelbarrow took on fire,
He jumped into a cows' byre;
The cows' byre was too nasty;
He jumped into an apple pasty;
The apple pasty was too sweet,
He jumped into Chester-le-Street;
Chester-le-Street was full of stones,
He fell down and broke his bones.

You're doing well with your first film, and it gets both better and easier as you go on. Keep it up!
11-25-2021, 09:59 PM - 1 Like   #10948
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The last (I think) of my more useable shots from the first test roll...

["Road-side Stone Cottage - Plawsworth, Chester-le-Street, England", Agfa Isola II 6x6, Fomapan 200, Rodinal (Fomadon R09) 1+50 @ 10']
Looks awesome! Rodinal (Adonal) 1:50 has been my go-to for foma 200 too.
11-26-2021, 01:10 AM - 4 Likes   #10949
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Suzuki Optical Co. Press Van • Asahi Kogaku Takumar 1:3.5 F=75mm
Adox CMS II 20 ISO film in home made Caffenol CLCN 16min @ 20°C
Scanned with Plustek OpticFilm 120 at 2400dpi with Silverfast AI Studio 9

Den Haag • Nederland

Caffenol CLCN
500 ml Filtered Water
5gr Anhydrous Washing Soda
1gr Vitamin C
6gr Instant coffee ("Cora")
10 slow inversions then 3 times every 3 minutes for 15 minutes, fixing 60 sec.
11-26-2021, 02:08 AM - 1 Like   #10950
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
LOL! Haven't we all. We could probably fill 20 forum pages listing the newbie mistakes when learning film developing. Eventually it will alll become muscle memory, Mike, but it will take a while to get there.
Thanks, Jack. I can't help but think I actually got quite lucky on this first roll, given the mistakes I made and being all fingers-and-thumbs during the developing process. Still, having got several useable shots, I'm enthused and ready for more

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I wish my test rolls through antique cameras using new film/developer combos looked so good. Yes, it is special!
QuoteOriginally posted by fs999 Quote
Nice result !
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
Congratulations. It turned out well.

QuoteOriginally posted by AgentL Quote
Looks awesome! Rodinal (Adonal) 1:50 has been my go-to for foma 200 too.

QuoteOriginally posted by drmoss_ca Quote
Chester-le-Street! My mother was born in Durham, and I still remember the rhyme she taught me as a child:

There was a man, he went mad,
He jumped into a paper bag;
The paper bag was too narrow,
He jumped into a wheelbarrow;
The wheelbarrow took on fire,
He jumped into a cows' byre;
The cows' byre was too nasty;
He jumped into an apple pasty;
The apple pasty was too sweet,
He jumped into Chester-le-Street;
Chester-le-Street was full of stones,
He fell down and broke his bones.

You're doing well with your first film, and it gets both better and easier as you go on. Keep it up!
Ha! I'd never heard that rhyme before - and I thought I knew the local history pretty well

To everyone who commented, thanks so much for your encouraging words. The whole process has given me new-found respect for all those who develop their own films and post such beautiful photos in this thread (at a level I can only aspire to at present), but also given me the confidence that I can do this, and will surely improve with plenty of practice