Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-25-2011, 01:48 PM   #1
Veteran Member

A day in the darkroom

I spent 11 hours in the darkroom today and what an enjoyable experience it was. We've been doing a lot of work on our house in the past few months and my darkroom (shed at the bottom of my garden) has been used for storage, rendering it useless as a darkroom. Now the junk has gone and I've been able to catch up printing some of the rolls I've developed recently. With a kettle for tea and coffee, and a radio for company, its an extemely relaxing way to spend the day.

But the real joy is watching those prints develop. I've posted some of the scans here in the "film threads" and the scans look alright but when those same negs are printed onto 16"x12" paper, those "alright" shots look awesome. The detail, the grain, the deep rich blacks.

I can't ever remember spending and enjoyable 11 hours on photoshop

09-26-2011, 01:27 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Vendee Quote
I can't ever remember spending and enjoyable 11 hours on photoshop
Couldn't agree more, Vendee. I'm hoping to have my darkroom built (in the garage) by the end of the year. Can't wait for that magic moment as the prints emerge. My dad had a darkroom under the stairs when I was a kid in the 1950s. I was hooked and love it still. I'm glad you're up and running again.
09-26-2011, 05:19 AM   #3

Yep it's great - you can tune out to the outside world and just focus on the printing - just wish I had more time to do so!
09-27-2011, 08:04 AM   #4
DAP

I love working in the darkroom (just as much if not more than taking the photos). Unfortunately the responsibility of raising small children kind of destroys the opportunity to spend large chunks of productive time in the darkroom. If I can sneak a couple of hours in there a week I consider myself lucky.

09-27-2011, 12:07 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DAP Quote
I love working in the darkroom (just as much if not more than taking the photos). Unfortunately the responsibility of raising small children kind of destroys the opportunity to spend large chunks of productive time in the darkroom. If I can sneak a couple of hours in there a week I consider myself lucky.
I'm lucky, my kids have grown up and left home and my wife is very understanding. Even so, I try and strike a balance between my hobby and the people who mean the world to me.
09-27-2011, 12:27 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Time well spent

Wet printing in the darkroom is probably my favorite part of the photographic process.
It's simultaneously a lot of fun and a real challenge.

Trying to make satisfactory enlargements best reveals the weaknesses in my photos
and encourages me more than anything else to shoot more,
with an eye towards correcting my mistakes.

Chris

Last edited by ChrisPlatt; 09-27-2011 at 01:13 PM.