Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-06-2007, 06:46 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Film camera questions

I started out with the ist dl camera then I moved on to the k100d. I like both of these cameras but I will probably be selling my ist dl and then purchase a film slr camera as a backup. I know the pz 1(P), mz/zs will work with the lenses that I already have. Now for my questions.

1) Does the film cameras let you know how the photo is being exposed before you take the shot so you can adjust shutter speed or apeture like the digitals do? So you will know if you under-exsposing or over-exposing a shot before you take the shot.

2) When I get finished shooting a roll of film and take it to get it developed and either have them put the shots on a cd or I scan the negatives with a scanner. At that point will I still be able to touch up the shots with paintshop pro and be able to put my panoramics together?

Thanks
Jim

12-07-2007, 06:52 AM   #2
Veteran Member

1-The Pz-1 camera pretty much works like the dslr istD and K10D, models, in that you have the thumb wheels AF locks etc. If you mean in ?#1 does it indicate highlites might be blown out, no. You have control over exposure with such settings as hyper P and M modes and Manual mode is adjusted using the led lines in the finder. In Hyper P you will get a flashing Shutter speed or Ap setting if it is not properly set for the meter reading, so i guess that partially answers the question, i hope.Just adjust the Tv or Av to your liking for the shot.

2- Yes.

Dave
12-07-2007, 07:26 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Dave for the response. I just wanted to make sure before I got in over my head and came out with black shots like I used to with the old film cameras.

Thanks
Jim
12-07-2007, 09:24 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Your welcome.

What camera(s) gave you the problems.

I use the Hyper Program mode a lot with my PZ-1. What i like to do, and YMMV, is set a shutter and Ap speed to what i think the scene would best be, say for argument, 1/125 at F4.

I focus and compose, then look to the right in the finder, you'll see your setting. If your set up for TV and the metering does not like what you have set, adjust the TV, or Av till the blink stops. If it does not give you the DOF or shutter speed you are looking for, just adjust until your happy.
There is also a split metering circle that shows under or over exposed as well, i just remembered that.

Not sure if i am explaining that correctly.

Its a great system. I did not own a Dl, but i think only the istD had the Hyper mode.??. The K10D does.

My PZ-1 had a FA Power Zoom 28-105 on it as the walk around lens for 3-4 years. Good combo.

Dave

Last edited by pentkon52; 12-07-2007 at 09:25 AM. Reason: Forgot a question
12-07-2007, 12:28 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hi Dave, the problem wasn't in the camera it was me not having the settings correct till I got the film back and had all dark images. That is what I'm liking about the digitals is that they will tell me when the image is correct or not before I take the picture so I can adjust it first. I think the camera was either a ME or a K1000. But I gave that up when my eyes quit focusing correct and all my pictures came out blurry.

Thanks
Jim