Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-01-2011, 01:15 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
ME Super metering problem?

I just bought a ME Super in very nice condition at a good price. The shutter sounds good at all speeds, etc. My concern is that it looks as though the meter reads about 2 stops high. With the exposure compensation dial I can bring it into agreement with my Minolta Autometer by dialing in +2 stops. If I change the comensation dial while metering the reading fluctuates widely. I suppose the dial selects various resistors, and that the contacts may be dirty. Is this the sort of thing that a reasonably handy amateur can fix? Or should I send it back? Or deal with it via changing the EI or the compensation dial? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

10-01-2011, 01:25 PM   #2
Giveaway winner!

The repair manual is available and quite a few folks have info out there on subject. If you are handy with tools and not mind poking around, it is not impossible. First have a look...
Pentax Manuals

Otherwise, Eric Hendrickson could do it to factory perfect... Home

I have some basic info available if you choose to DIY it.

Oh... Sluggo got it posted... his is the location and this...

is it flipped up.

Last edited by MysteryOnion; 10-01-2011 at 01:50 PM.
10-01-2011, 01:27 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If the resistor under the ISO/compensation dial is the problem, most likely you'll find that the +2 stop difference is for a certain ISO setting, and it's a fairly consistent +3 for a different one, etc. Anyway the fact that you can make the reading fluctuate when touching the knob pretty much confirms it, I think.

The variable resistor is not hard to clean with a basic electronics spray cleaner, if you can safely get the top cover of the camera off. It's also possible for the metal wiper to need a gentle tweak with tweezers or needle-nosed pliers so it is making better contact.

Here's a view of the resistor and the wiper below it.

10-01-2011, 01:39 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Many thanks, guys. I've got a copy of the service manual from Mark Roberts, and some jeweller's screwdrivers. I'll meditate on it, and also see what Eric would charge. I need to send him my LX and my MX so maybe he'd give me a quantity discount...

10-01-2011, 02:00 PM   #5
Giveaway winner!

Not to take stevebrot's thunder... he recommended the JIS standard drivers are they are quite nice to have (finally picked up a set) and will not damage screws if a little stubborn in removing. Wiha drivers are what I've been using and are very nice, but not exact perfect as some JIS type screws do get stuck on them. When trying to remove with conventional jeweler's set, make sure they are seated straight on the screw and do not turn off true or it may chew up the heads and some distortion of the centers of the screw may occur.

Eric is a superb Pentax tech! He did a bang up job with my Pentax 6x7 as the previous owner broke some parts and I got stuck finding out after two rolls of unintentional panorama style pictures... all frames overlapped. Eric got it like factory new... same excellent work on my LX as well... My two MX bodies I had I fix them myself just for my enjoyment.

Last edited by MysteryOnion; 10-01-2011 at 02:13 PM.