Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-01-2011, 03:27 PM   #1

Help!

I was unloading a roll of film off my k2.
So i pressed the little button thing on the bottom and i use that wheel thing to roll up the film inside.
Then i pulled that nob for the back to pop up.
The problem is that, I think I've messed up my camera!!
When I look through the view finder now, it is ALL BLACK! I don't know what I've done wrong. I can't see anything anymore!
So i tried pulling my lens out and to see what's going on.
The glass inside is gone? Where have it gone to?

I hope someone can really help me out!

Thanks.

10-01-2011, 03:51 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by robtheprincess Quote
I was unloading a roll of film off my k2.
So i pressed the little button thing on the bottom and i use that wheel thing to roll up the film inside.
Then i pulled that nob for the back to pop up.
The problem is that, I think I've messed up my camera!!
When I look through the view finder now, it is ALL BLACK! I don't know what I've done wrong. I can't see anything anymore!
So i tried pulling my lens out and to see what's going on.
The glass inside is gone? Where have it gone to?

I hope someone can really help me out!

Thanks.
I suspect your mirror is in the up position. Take the lens off and have a look - you should be able to see the mirror. If not, you will see the film gate. Turn the shutter knob to X position and see if it will come down. (X does not require a good battery on most Pentax cameras). You might need to replace the battery.
10-01-2011, 04:01 PM   #3

Original Poster
I've already taken the lens off.
I am looking inside of the camera from the lens hole.
The glass mirror is not here.
Before I unload the film, my shutter speed is on "Automatic"
and right now when I use the Automatic speed and if I try to wind a film to take a picture it'd get stuck.
But if I turn the shutter speed to any other speed #, winding the film to take picture is fine.
What should I do? How can I make the mirror come back out in my camera?
10-01-2011, 04:12 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
The K2 has a mirror lock up switch on the lens mount that you perhaps unintentionally moved in the mirror lock up position? Otherwise, there is something wrong that has caused it to be stuck in the up position.

10-01-2011, 04:32 PM   #5

Original Poster
which button is the mirror lock up switch?! ??
10-01-2011, 04:38 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Slide switch on the upper lens mount same side as the rewind.
10-01-2011, 04:39 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Manual page 5 #25 -> http://www.lensinc.net/manuals/Pentax_K2L.pdf
10-01-2011, 04:54 PM   #8

Original Poster
thanks for the help and link to the manual!

i can see again through the viewfinder.
but the other problem now is that when my shutter speed is on "Automatic" then i can't see through the viewfinder again and it won't let me wind the film to take pictures.
only the other speed levels lets me see through the viewfinder and winding the film on the right side.

=[

10-01-2011, 05:22 PM   #9
Pentaxian

In automatic, the K2 can meter a very long exposure and during this time of course the mirror is up and you can't wind till it is released. If you accidentally pressed the shutter with a lens cap on for instance - a very long exposure will be metered, you can move the dial out of automatic and at which time the exposure will be cut short.
10-01-2011, 05:30 PM   #10

Original Poster
oh, thanks for the knowledge.
but the thing is, even if i switch it on automatic, nothing works. things only work when i switch out of automatic and that had never happened before
10-01-2011, 05:39 PM   #11
Pentaxian

In automatic mode, with an aperture setting that the meter indicates will be a 1/100 shutter speed, will it fire a quick exposure? Set aperture and lighting to meter at 1 second - do you get 1 second? How about for 2, 4 or 8 seconds?

Otherwise, your K2 may need service?
10-01-2011, 06:28 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
In automatic mode, with an aperture setting that the meter indicates will be a 1/100 shutter speed, will it fire a quick exposure? Set aperture and lighting to meter at 1 second - do you get 1 second? How about for 2, 4 or 8 seconds?

Otherwise, your K2 may need service?
Or it may need a fresh battery for the electronics. That is one of the first things I check before taking the camera to the repair depot.
10-01-2011, 07:14 PM   #13
Pentaxian

No doubt there is no telling how the electronics will work when battery is less then optimal. However, when the battery is dead, the automatic setting fires at 1/125.
10-01-2011, 11:19 PM   #14
Banned

I will suggest the same as everyone else, check the battery first. How long have you had the camera? I'm assuming not long with the odd description of camera parts in your initial post. Has te camera had a CLA (clean,lube, adjust) anytime in the recent past? I wouldnt want to advice you to send it off for repair I it doesn't need it, but since I don't own a K2, I can't be of any help other than what the online manual will tell me. Again, check the battery, it may need replacing, and also check the manual to see how the camera should be stored when not in use, so as to avoid any unintentional battery drain.

Also, as a side note, and don't take this the wrong way because I don't mean to be rude, but you should really read the manual and familiarise yourself with the camera, it's basic functions, how these functions work, and the basic control layout of the camera. that could save you headaches in the future.