Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-03-2011, 09:12 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kcobain1992 Quote

That's a beautiful photo. And if gives me an idea for my photo class assignment. Thank you, sir. I just wish I had a Spotty to use for it. A K1000 will have to do.

10-04-2011, 04:34 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You should get a spottie, for it is an excellent camera.

Here is mine hard at work

Last edited by photocanadian; 10-04-2011 at 10:38 AM.
10-04-2011, 12:12 PM   #18
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by noblepa Quote
I find the Spotmatics to have the best ergonomics of any camera I've ever held.
then you’ve never held a pre-spotmatic pentax!
10-05-2011, 07:57 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
then you’ve never held a pre-spotmatic pentax!

Actually, I have. I own a S1 and an SV. In terms of ergonomics, they are essentially the same as the Spotmatic. The body sizes are virtually identical and the control layout is the same, with only minor spacing differences.

If you are referring to the models that came even before that, such as the K, S, the 1957 Asahi Pentax or any of the Asahiflex models, no, I have not held any of those.

I would venture the opinion that Asahi hit a home run with the size, shape and control layout on the 1957 Pentax and didn't make any significant changes until the M-series cameras in the early eighties. They are all ergonomic and design wonders. If you consider that the K1000 is essentially a Spotmatic F with a bayonet mount, the same basic Pentax design lasted from 1957 until 1997, when the K1000 finally was discontinued.

As someone else in this thread commented, every Pentaxian (heck, every photographer!!) should have a Spotmatic.

BTW, I own two Spotmatics, in addition to the S1 and SV. All still work perfectly. I doubt if my K10D will last fifty years, like they have.

IMHO, the S1 and SV have the same ergonomics (excellent!!) that the Spotmatic has. I think that we're really in agreement that the Pentax cameras of that era were wonderfully designed, both from a mechanical standpoint, as well as in their visual appeal. They are all beautiful works of "engineering art", if I may use that phrase. IMHO, the original Spotmatic, with its gently curved mount stand and graceful prism housing, is the best of the lot. The others are a very close second, though. I won't argue too much if your personal preference runs to the earlier models.

10-06-2011, 06:21 AM   #20
Banned

SV. In terms of ergonomics, they are essentially the same as the Spotmatic. The body sizes are virtually identical and the control layout is the same, with only minor spacing differences.
I have both an SV and a 1957 ‘AP’, and I would very much disagree that either of these cameras are anything like a spotmatic. the SV was based on the same body style of the original pentax, which was itself based directly on the body style of the asahiflex (I used to own one of those as well) so ergonomics, were pretty much continued unchanged in most ways until the spotmatic. control layout changed only minority with the dropping of a separate slow speed dial, beyond that it was elitavely exactly the same from the AP up to the last ’S’ models before the spotmatic. the spotmatic was completely different from any predecessor except in terms of basic control layout, as that had become pretty standard throughout the whole industry by that point. I really fail to see how you could consider the SV or any pre-spotamtic body to be anything like a spotmatic. they just aren’t the same in any way, and I know for a fact I’m not alone in that opinion. to say it remained unchanged till the M series cameras is also very wrong i my opinion because handling a K series despite the basic functions being the same (as you say, a K1000 was essentially a spotmatic F with bayonet) in controls and basic functions, the bodies were completely different in design and in the hand. I honestly disagree with just about all your opinions on this, and i have owned and an asahi optical camera from every major period from 52’ to the mid eighties, so I have pretty good first hand knowledge, but to each his own I guess.
10-06-2011, 08:37 AM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Well, both views - that the SV and Spotmatic are similar/different are correct. I started with an SV (actually H1a) in about 1964, and also own Spotmatics, Asahiflex, MX, LX, K1000, ME MESuper, etc. I also have repaired and adjusted the internal mechanisms. Indeed, the Spotmatic is an evolution from the SV, with much improved internal speed mechanisms and adjustments.
I also own and use many other SLRs from that era: Canon, Nikon F, Minolta, Miranda, Yashica, Exacta, etc. Most of these bear significant resemblance to the "form factor" started by Pentax - but in use they "feel" very different.
Compared to these other SLRs the various Pentax models share a common feel and family resemblance. Honeywell used to advertize "Nothing feels like a Pentax!" The SV and Spotmatic do feel much the same when operating them, other than the metering difference. Pick up a Canon or Minolta of the same era and they feel very different.
When using I tend to enjoy the H1a more than the Spotmatic, even with its less refined mechanicals. I guess because it was my "first love" in cameras. But the Spotmatic would be a better camera to refurbish and use - a true classic.
10-06-2011, 10:03 AM   #22
Veteran Member

As someone else in this thread commented, every Pentaxian (heck, every photographer!!) should have a Spotmatic.
Every togger with a usable Spotty is de facto a Pentaxian. It's like a virus.

10-06-2011, 10:20 AM   #23
Veteran Member

As everybody on this board probably knows by now I am the Queen of SPII fans. I have both a Spottie (SPII) and an ME and I say take the Spottie over the ME. I do like the slightly smaller size of the ME but otherwise I am no ME fan mainly because of the buttons versus the dials on the Spotties. The SPII is my idea of the perfect film camera actually and no matter what other Pentax SLR's come my way it remains my go to film camera 90% of the time. The original Spottie is a fine camera, but if you can do an SPII instead of an SP I'd suggest that. One of the best cameras Pentax ever made, IMHO, and they seem a lot easier to fix than the ME's besides.

Oh, and the battery is the 387S watch cell and both Duracell and Energizer make them. You won't find them at your local drug store, but most Battery plus type stores have them or you can easily buy them online. I get mine in packs at Amazon. The camera can actually operate sans one though if you have a hand held meter or want to use the Sunny rule.
10-10-2011, 06:52 PM   #24
Forum Member

Get the Spotty, multitude of M42 lenses on ebay. The Taks and Zeisses on M42s are great and cheap.
10-11-2011, 03:36 AM   #25
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by ully Quote
Get the Spotty, multitude of M42 lenses on ebay. The Taks and Zeisses on M42s are great and cheap.
And there's the Soviet stuff like the Helios 44 and Jupiter 9
10-11-2011, 07:39 AM   #26
jac
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

For what it's worth. Can go totally manual. Batteries almost optional. Continues to operate at prolonged use at -40C/F. And mine is packed up right now for only it's second CLA since I got it in the early seventies. (Threw in the LX and Super Program as well while I was in the mood). And look at the prices for quality M42 lenses that compare to or outshine some of today's offerings. Plus there's that inner reward that you, not a micro-chip, made the shot!
10-12-2011, 01:33 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
If you have K mount lenses I would think about getting a KX instead of a Spotmatic. It's also a workhorse.
10-12-2011, 02:04 PM   #28
Inactive Account

If you want something inexpensive, look into Ricoh.
10-12-2011, 02:07 PM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by samtr87 Quote
If you want something inexpensive, look into Ricoh.
And especially the Ricoh-made PK cameras badged as Sears and Focal.