Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-05-2011, 06:44 AM   #16
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Philoslothical Quote
So you don't want to offer a single objective reason why the one I linked is inferior, when I've explained that it works just fine in all respects. I can understand that, it sounds hard to do.
do I need to? so you got lucky, and you got a good one. I’m happy for you mate I really am. I’m not saying your adapter is crap. all I’m saying is that there is plenty of stories here and other places of cheaper third-party adapters getting stuck, being hard to remove, causing damage to both camera and lens, of lenses coming un-screwed and falling off, not allowing proper infinity focus even when claimed to do so, having poorly machined threads that cause binding, that don’t get the lens in the proper (or even near) the proper 12 o’clock position, etc.

but have you heard any horror stories from the use of the genuine pentax adapter? I haven't, if they are out there. other than the high price and limited availability from pentax of course. so I think my opinion that you would be better of paying more for the genuine adapter is justified by far more than the apparent need to have ‘Pentax’ engraved in the metal.

I do think you're spreading misinformation though, unless you can give me an objective reason why the particular ring I linked to is inferior.
how so? I never stated, no even a single time that the particular product you purchased was no good. my whole argument was that you would be better of buying the genuine for more reasons than just having the name Pentax on it, for which you eluded was the reason we were all making our purchases. and my assertion that you and others would generally be better off has been backed up by more than one response here in this thread from others personal experiences. I think its you if anyone that is spreading ‘misinformation’ and in general is lacking in understanding between downing a particular product based on one particular purchase and saying that in general you would be better off. or you just refused to properly read my original comment, and took what I said as a simple attack on your particular purchase. because the proof does indeed exist that in most cases the genuine adapter performs flawlessly, while the knock off adapters have had and continue to have problems in regards to manufacturing and design.
I dont bear the burden of proof here, because I didn’t blame one particular product. but since your assertion only looks at one particular, its you that bears that burden. shouldn’t be too hard to understand.

by the way, the only thing you are ‘supporting’ are cheaper made (even if in japan for this one) versions of the exact design that pentax came up with. I won’t argue against the limited availability of the genuine adapter, but your philosophy of ‘support’ robs pentax of sales and only helps to further make the genuine adapter harder to come by. if this were a case of no adapter from pentax at all, your argument would be valid (like other lens manufacturers designing lenses cheaper to fill in focal length unavailability from other companies, etc.) but you only bought a cheaper version of whats already available. all that is supporting is your wallet, not any company or positive ideal. bleh.

Last edited by séamuis; 10-05-2011 at 06:52 AM.
10-05-2011, 07:23 AM   #17
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
So you don't want to offer a single objective reason why the one I linked is inferior, when I've explained that it works just fine in all respects.
I would consider that you are fortunate. As many of us know, sourcing (regardless of brand name or store) on the generic adapters is highly variable as is the quality of manufacture. Several users on this forum have had good luck. You apparently are one of them.

As noted above, I had an extremely bad experience with a name-brand (Bower) knock-off from a reputable seller (Adorama). One thing that I did not add in regards to the knock-off I bought is that I found metal shards inside my mirror box when all the excitement was over. Whether they were hanging on the adapter before it was mounted or were "machined-off" by the lens threads or camera mount during the mount process, I don't know. I also did not add that I was able to directly compare the knock-off I bought to the genuine I already owned. The generic was poorly machined and finished and had smaller "ears". It was not identical by any stretch.

Now the generic I bought is not the same as the one you bought from eBay. The only way I could offer "objective" proof would be to buy a hundred or so copies from your vendor and document the percentage of rejects. Not that anything would be proved by doing so. Chances are that if you were to purchase again in a few months from the same seller, the one you get will be sourced differently than the one you have.

As you said, you are happy with your purchase. I am glad for you. Just don't paint the rest of us who have higher expectations as being stupid. OTOH...Like my mama always said, "Stupid is as Stupid does..."

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 10-05-2011 at 07:34 AM.
10-05-2011, 07:40 AM   #18
Site Supporter

...the money goes to a company I support.I do think you're spreading misinformation though, unless you can give me an objective reason why the particular ring I linked to is inferior.
I would suggest that you provide an "objective" reason to believe that the vendor you linked provides a consistently good product. After all, you "support" that vendor. Perhaps purchase of 100 or so adapters to prove your point would be a reasonable suggestion. Once you have established the quality, you should have no problem selling them at a profit on the Marketplace on this site.

In other words...the onus is on you to demonstrate that the rest of us are stupid...

Steve
10-05-2011, 09:06 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Oh boy, the adapter wars again. The cheap Bowers-type clones are fine ONCE THE SPRING AND CLIP ARE REMOVED. These must be removed or YOU WILL GO APESH!T! Those of us who use them do so because we have numerous M42 lenses we mount on PK cameras. We mount the adapters on the lenses, not on the cameras. Pull the spring and clip; thread adapter onto lens; use a rear lens cap as a wrench to tighten it. I've had adapters on some lenses for so long that I've almost forgotten they're not PK-native.

Yes, every M42 lens user should own at least one Official Pentax Adapter. Anyone shooting macro or closeup, and/or using M42 tubes or bellows, and/or using an M42 tele / long lens, should have at least one safe cheap wide-flange no-infinity-focus M42-PK adapter. But the Official Pentax Adapter is rather a pain if lenses are changed much. That's fine if I'm on my lens-of-the-day trip -- mount a lens and leave it there. But usually I'll have a few lenses in my bag that are all ready for immediate mounting, and that means a clone adapter screwed tightly onto each one.

10-05-2011, 09:42 AM   #20
Veteran Member

RioRico, after removing the spring and clip, how do you avoid the problem of the lens and adapter turning in the mount as you focus? I can't stand this. There also is the problem that it is hard to mount the lens precisely at the right point. It often wants to turn too far, past the bayonet flanges.
10-05-2011, 09:43 AM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Oh boy, the adapter wars again. The cheap Bowers-type clones are fine ONCE THE SPRING AND CLIP ARE REMOVED. These must be removed or YOU WILL GO APESH!T! Those of us who use them do so because we have numerous M42 lenses we mount on PK cameras. We mount the adapters on the lenses, not on the cameras. Pull the spring and clip; thread adapter onto lens; use a rear lens cap as a wrench to tighten it. I've had adapters on some lenses for so long that I've almost forgotten they're not PK-native.

Yes, every M42 lens user should own at least one Official Pentax Adapter. Anyone shooting macro or closeup, and/or using M42 tubes or bellows, and/or using an M42 tele / long lens, should have at least one safe cheap wide-flange no-infinity-focus M42-PK adapter. But the Official Pentax Adapter is rather a pain if lenses are changed much. That's fine if I'm on my lens-of-the-day trip -- mount a lens and leave it there. But usually I'll have a few lenses in my bag that are all ready for immediate mounting, and that means a clone adapter screwed tightly onto each one.
Dedicated adapter is a good solution only when you're a dedicated Pentax shooter. But for someone with multiple systems (Pentax, Canon, m4/3 and Nex...) it's not the best solution.

I for one, would spend extra dollars for the genuine adapters, and yes I have had several generic ones as well. In fact I have bought more genuine adapters after having tried 3 generic ones.

Last edited by ducdao; 10-05-2011 at 09:57 AM.
10-05-2011, 10:09 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ducdao Quote
Dedicated adapter is a good solution only when you're a dedicated Pentax shooter. But for someone with multiple systems (Pentax, Canon, m4/3 and Nex...) it's not the best solution.
I don't glue adapters to M42 lenses. I find that using a rear lens cap as an adapter wrench makes (dis)mounting the clone M42-PK adapters pretty easy. I've no experience with M42 adapters for other systems -- are they a problem?
10-05-2011, 10:16 AM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
I don't glue adapters to M42 lenses. I find that using a rear lens cap as an adapter wrench makes (dis)mounting the clone M42-PK adapters pretty easy. I've no experience with M42 adapters for other systems -- are they a problem?
I see what you mean. My point was to show that having different systems, one would have to change adapters frequently so having dedicated M42-PK to a given lens is not always the best solution.

I have several Pentax DSLR bodies and a Canon 30D. The same lens works flawlessy on both systems. For Pentax I only use the genuine adapter but for Canon I just use a cheapo adapter which normally goes for $2-$4 on eBay and never had any problems with it.

10-05-2011, 10:34 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
After all, you "support" that vendor.
I don't support the vendor, I expressed satisfaction with one of that vendor's products. Big difference, and I'll thank you not to put words in my mouth.

In other words...the onus is on you to demonstrate that the rest of us are stupid...
For one thing, that isn't my goal. Seems I touched a nerve with this, which is really pathetic when you think about it. I didn't dispute the quality of the Pentax product, I merely said that the one I found for 1/4 the price works fine in every respect. This whole debate started when people chimed in after I suggested it, that all knockoffs are junk. This is misinformation.

Believe what you want. Buy what you want. It doesn't affect me. My sincerest apologies for trying to save some of you people some money, it won't happen again.
10-05-2011, 11:09 AM   #25
Banned

Believe what you want. Buy what you want. It doesn't affect me. My sincerest apologies for trying to save some of you people some money, it won't happen again.
spare us please. I really don’t like being an ass, but do you expect me to believe that your intent was that sincere? you questioned peoples buying choices on the basis that they chose to pay more for one adapter over the other for no other reason than they wanted to have the ‘Pentax’ name on it. and when this sparked responses you didn’t like, now you were just ‘trying to save us money’? not buying it, sorry. again, I’m glad you got a good one, but its important to note that you are not in the majority, and its simple good community spirit to chime in and give another view to the discussion and to warn people of the possible dangers of buying and using third-party adapters, even if YOU did get a good one. I thank you for your input on the discussion and link to a possible good adapter readily available at a lower price (with the ‘buyer beware, attitude of course) but you can’t attack other peoples choices and then not welcome an attack on your own, plain and simple.
10-05-2011, 11:37 AM   #26
Veteran Member

I didn't attack anyone's choices. I asked, repeatedly, for someone to tell me why the one I got was inferior, based on the popular opinion that all knockoffs are inferior. I never did get an answer to that, just a whole lot of whining and defensiveness. Geez, it's just an adapter, people. I'm so done with this topic.
10-05-2011, 12:30 PM - 1 Like   #27
Site Supporter

I don't understand the fascination with overpaying for something like this, just to have a brand name printed on it.
...At least the money goes to a company I support. I do think you're spreading misinformation though...
I would consider the above quotes both demeaning and inflamatory. I also resent the implication in another section (not quoted) that those on this thread that disagree with you are equivalent to "theist"s. My university instructors warned me against that mode of reasoning.

As Seamuis noted above, it is standard practice on this forum for the senior members to extend warning regarding the generic adapters. The same is true regarding other issues such as the infamous "Ricoh Pin". This is particularly true for those of us with negative personal experience. Your stated intent is to save people a few bucks by pointing them to a specific eBay merchant. Our intent is to save people the potential pain of having to saw an adapter off their expensive dSLR camera.

Steve
10-05-2011, 12:33 PM   #28
Site Supporter

I don't support the vendor
...At least the money goes to a company I support...

I believe those were your words.

Steve
10-05-2011, 12:34 PM   #29
Site Supporter

I didn't attack anyone's choices. I asked, repeatedly, for someone to tell me why the one I got was inferior, based on the popular opinion that all knockoffs are inferior. I never did get an answer to that, just a whole lot of whining and defensiveness. Geez, it's just an adapter, people. I'm so done with this topic.
Love your user name...

Steve
10-05-2011, 12:39 PM   #30
Veteran Member

I also resent the implication in another section (not quoted) that those on this thread that disagree with you are equivalent to "theist"s.
I made that comment about someone telling me to prove a negative, when asked to support their claim.

I believe those were your words.
The first was about the ebay vendor, the second was clearly about Pentax.

Reading comprehension.