Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-05-2011, 08:46 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Flat bed Scanner (9000F) vs DSLR scanning

I've always been curious on doing a flatbed scanner vs DSLR scan comparison.
Done a previous round, but it was a bit slip-shod to share here, but I did see some difference btwn the two.
There is some patchy evidence on the internet that shows that a DSLR 'scan' is faster and 'cheaper' than going out to buy a flat bed scanner like the Canon 9000F which is able to scan 35mm film.
Of course this is provided that one owns a DSLR in the first place.

I made a make shift holder for a strip of negative, placed a white sheet of paper behind it and shone 2 table lamps on the paper to provide a even white light source. Placed the DSLR on tripod in front of the negative with a 100mm macro set at f8 and took a shot.

Original full image

100% crop from Scanner (9000F)

100% crop from DSLR

Colors aren't anything to shout about and my lousy rig attracted a lot of dust on the negative.
But to me the difference in detail between flatbed and DSLR 'scan' is shocking

Am I missing something here? (Eg. Scanner not setup properly)
The 9000F is supposed to be comparable to V500 or V600.

10-05-2011, 09:11 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Did you post process the scanned image for sharpening and curve adjustment? Was it easy to invert and adjust out the color negative's film base color from the "DSLR scan"? Or was this a positive, perhaps?
10-05-2011, 09:23 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Interesting -- though hard to judge detail because of the apparent sharpening.

Can you show a picture of your "make shift holder"? I'm curious about the flatness of the film.
10-05-2011, 11:35 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
Did you post process the scanned image for sharpening and curve adjustment? Was it easy to invert and adjust out the color negative's film base color from the "DSLR scan"? Or was this a positive, perhaps?

It was a negative.
I did the following :
Shoot in JPG > Auto-Levels > Invert Colors > Sharpen

Auto levels adjusted levels and color on the neg. I will get a heavy blue cast if I don't do this step before inverting colors.

Sharpen was 1pt; Strength :100%; Threshold : 5%

ATM, I think there is too much reliance on Auto_Levels.
Maybe shooting in RAW then some sort of custom balance might be better.
Or maybe have a negative that was shot at a white piece of paper (or maybe an totally overexposed "blown" one). Then do on-camera custom WB using that negative as the 'white' object. The from there onwards, the WB setting will always be on camera.

QuoteOriginally posted by Sluggo Quote
Interesting -- though hard to judge detail because of the apparent sharpening.

Can you show a picture of your "make shift holder"? I'm curious about the flatness of the film.
The 2 samples were done at different times. The scan was done about one month ago. The DSLR shot just yesterday.
I do remember that the scan had more aggressive sharpening at about 125%; 2pts; 5% threshold. The DSLR one only has 1pt; Strength :100%; Threshold : 5%.

Let me get back to you on the holder. But don't have high expectations of it. Its plain wrong to me, cause the acrylic base just attracts too much dust. I think next round, I will just try the film holder than came with my Canon 9000f.

10-07-2011, 12:59 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Here is the film holding setup.
As said, the choice of the acrylic sheet as a base is plain wrong. Its a dust magnet.

10-07-2011, 08:25 AM   #6
Pentaxian

My scanner has a glass carrier. Yep, what a PITA. But color and infrared cleaning with the scanning software is pretty easy.

Everybody develops their method of scanning it seems. The method I employ is to scan with sharpen turned off and I scan by the histogram. I adjust the low and high values as much as possible to bring in all the tones. The image may look flat, dull and overall not very good. But it gives you the most headroom in the image editor to adjust the curve and apply local curve adjustments with masks and what-not and cleans up nice. Finally it is sharpened there too. The image editor just gives me more fine control over these things than the scanning software. YMMV.
12-24-2011, 03:58 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Been awhile since I developed a roll of film.
Luck has been pretty unkind to my film cameras with unexpected mechanical issues or light leaks causing me to loose a few rolls over the few months.

Anyway, finally finished a roll on my Flexaret IV and made the negative copy using my DSLR with a 100mm macro lens.
So here's an update.
This time, I simply used the negative holder provided by my Canon 9000F.
Lighting came from 2 table lamps shining on a white piece of paper.

100% crop

It was very fast too. The whole process including setup was perhaps only 15-20mins.
12-25-2011, 01:51 AM   #8

Hi,

I use a Epson V500 for scanning, but dust is a issue as well with a scanner I can asure you!
Because it's not my scanner, I'm thinking of 2 things....1: I buy a scanner, 2: I make something myself with my DSLR.
When I see the difference in detail you've showed here.....hmmm, I'm not so sure about the scanner anymore.
I'm thinking to convert a old enlager-boom to mount my K20D with my Sigma macro on, upside down, and make a frame to put my negatives in. Below that frame, my idea was to make a box where some light is built in covered with milk-glass.

Is it possible you post a pic of how you did the last film?

Henk

12-25-2011, 02:31 AM   #9
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by henkvanzuylen Quote
Hi,

I use a Epson V500 for scanning, but dust is a issue as well with a scanner I can asure you!
Because it's not my scanner, I'm thinking of 2 things....1: I buy a scanner, 2: I make something myself with my DSLR.
When I see the difference in detail you've showed here.....hmmm, I'm not so sure about the scanner anymore.
I'm thinking to convert a old enlager-boom to mount my K20D with my Sigma macro on, upside down, and make a frame to put my negatives in. Below that frame, my idea was to make a box where some light is built in covered with milk-glass.

Is it possible you post a pic of how you did the last film?

Henk
Sure...

Here is the setup. Its well....pretty raw...

12-25-2011, 08:57 AM   #10

Thanks for the pic!
Now I understand what you meant with the light on the paper.

If I ever make my DSLR on a old enlarger-boom I'll post the pics of that.

Henk