Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-07-2011, 04:06 AM   #1

Pentax SV with stuck B (Bulb) speed

Hi all,

I recently picked up a thrift store SV. The timed shutter speeds all sound about right, and my first test roll came out properly exposed (well, as properly as I ever can do), so I think they are fine. The T (Timed) setting also is, as they say, "working as designed," which is that you have to press the shutter release to open, then turn the speed dial off of T to close. (Strange design.) But the B (Bulb) speed does not work. Pressing and holding the shutter button raises the mirror and opens the shutter. Releasing the shutter button then does ... nothing. The mirror stays up and the shutter curtain stays open. If I then wind the camera, that pulls the shutter curtain closed. I then have to turn the speed dial to some other speed, and fire, to get the mirror to come down.

Any ideas what might cause this? I've read that these old screwmount cameras often need old gummy mirror bumpers replaced, which I haven't done, but I would not think that's the problem here since all other speeds work without the mirror sticking in up position.

Thanks for any guesses!
--Dave

10-07-2011, 10:40 AM   #2
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Argenticien Quote
Thanks for any guesses!
Here is a guess:

After you release the button, can you turn the slow speed shutter dial to the left (this dial is on the front face of the camera and might say "25 105 2")? Does that close it?

If so, it might be doing a time exposure.
10-07-2011, 12:46 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks Aegon. The SV is actually not that old -- it does not have a separate slow-speed dial like the original Asahiflex, the S, the K, etc. I did try turning the (only) shutter speed dial, as if it were behaving like a T (Time) exposure. But if I've had it on 'B', then clicked and held (or released, for that matter) the shutter button, the shutter speed dial will not turn unless and until I first wind on. After winding on, then I must turn it to some other (finite, not B or T) speed, and fire, to get the shutter to close. Odd, eh?

--Dave