Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
10-13-2011, 01:58 PM   #1
Forum Member

KX and MX value

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

What are KX and MX bodies going for in good condition these days? I may purchase a kit that has one of each but I have no desire to shoot film and need to decide if it's worth it for the lenses. The guy selling them is terribly hard to deal with on the phone and he never is where the gear is so getting anything useful is difficult and he does not do email. I did manage to get the serial numbers of 2 of the lenses. One is a "Pentax 135" SN 6703xxx so best I can tell its a SMC-M135 f/3.5. The other is, quoting him, "Gemini 80-205" SN 1248xx. Plus each body has some sort of standard lens on it. I was hoping since these were higher-end bodies there is some decent glass with them...

Thanks,
Chris

10-13-2011, 02:09 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Generally it's safest to value film bodies at somewhere close to zero if you don't have an opportunity to inspect them thoroughly before buying. I run into far more damaged or partially functional bodies than I do pristine and easily resold ones when I'm buying packages of used equipment.
10-13-2011, 02:57 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I just phoned a seller of SF10 with F35-70mm lens and a leather bag. I assumed that the body had zero value, so I offered $30 for the package and she accepted. I'll pick it up if the lens is in usable condition.
10-14-2011, 07:14 AM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I just found this in e-bay. Guess this guy doesn't know what it is worth.
SLR Film 35 mm Camera PENTAX KX 50 mm F 1.2 lens USED Colection Fuji Canon NIKON | eBay

:-)

10-14-2011, 10:03 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Baard-Einar Quote
SLR Film 35 mm Camera PENTAX KX 50 mm F 1.2 lens USED Colection Fuji Canon NIKON | eBay

crazy seller.

what a huge fonts!

LOL
10-14-2011, 10:48 AM   #6

I recently bought a KX online for too much money (let's just say more than $65) - it turned out to have a fused battery cover. I have to take off the bottom plate to change batteries! Plus there was a small dent in the pentaprism. Well, that's the price of tuition, I guess.
10-14-2011, 11:29 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I overpaid for a KX with K 55/1.8 on evilBay ($65 shipped). I got one with a M 50/1.7 on shopgoodwill.com for $36 shipped.

10-14-2011, 11:47 AM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
I overpaid for a KX with K 55/1.8 on evilBay ($65 shipped). I got one with a M 50/1.7 on shopgoodwill.com for $36 shipped.
I guess that means that I vastly overpaid for my EX+ body bought from a forum member. Including K 55/1.8 from eBay and CLA by Eric, I am into the setup about $200.

Steve
10-14-2011, 12:05 PM   #9

Steve, that looks awesome. My KX was a black body and I paid, with shipping, close to $100 for it. And it's brassed, beat, and as I said, I can't open the battery case. So, from that perspective - you might have a reasonable deal there with your EX+ KX.
10-14-2011, 12:45 PM   #10
Closed Account

The right price is what you want to pay for it. Not sure if it is a good idea to buy from someone you can't reach, or can't talk to.

I paid 70 euros for a fine looking black body KX, that also had a M42 to K adapter fixed to it. But looks can be deceiving, the mirrow damper was almost gone, lightseals too and the aperture wasn't properly showing in the finder. Then, I also didn't like the transport lever sticking into my right eye when pulled out to activate the meter. Only repairman I knew of was abroad, but I sent it, got it back fixed and serviced totally. He bypassed the transport lever's function, now I just push the shutter button. Now It is a great and fully working KX. I am not rich, to the contrary, but this was worth it . . All in all I spent less than 200 euros.
10-14-2011, 01:32 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I don't think that $100 + for a very clean and fully functional KX or MX is unreasonable, especially after a CLA from a reputable source, just that a poorly described body of unknown condition from an unknown seller should be valued low if the only intention is to resell it and recoup costs. Having a KX or MX body professionally repaired in order to resell it is likely to turn into a money losing proposition unless the the body was cheap to start with.
10-14-2011, 02:22 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I guess that means that I vastly overpaid for my EX+ body bought from a forum member. Including K 55/1.8 from eBay and CLA by Eric, I am into the setup about $200.

Steve
But this one wasn't EX+. The one from shopgoodwill was in much better condition. I sold the lens to KEH (I have a SMC Tak and an Auto Tak) and they only gave it a BGN. One of these days I have to make up my mind which to send to Eric, the KX, the Super Program, or the Spotmatic.
10-14-2011, 05:37 PM   #13
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies. My name is Chris, I have LBA. I should probably pass on it since I just bought a Program Plus for the SMC-A50 f1.7. It came with a Tokina SD 70-210 f4.5-5.6, a pretty mediocre lens but it's in really nice shape (the whole kit looks pretty good). I bought it with the intention of selling the body and Tokina and keeping the A-50 to replace my M-50 f/1.7. The problem is; A) I have a hard time selling the Tokina before at least seeing how it compares to my Sigma 18-200 as far as IQ... b) it came with 3 rolls of film... I'm going to have a hard time NOT shooting at least a roll through it. I think I did OK, not a steal but I paid $70 for it with flash, bag, UV filter, shutter release cable. The other plan was to sell the M-50 after acquiring the A-50 (which I love).. but again I am going to have a hard time doing that. The aperture ring on the A version is slightly 'cheap feeling' compared to the M but chances are it will stay on A anyway and the focus is just as nice I think. I doubt I will ever notice the elleged sharpness difference of the M over A. It's so nice to have all exposure mods and aperture values in EXIF data. I doubt any of the lenses in the MX/KX kit are auto aperture since the bodies were manual. I could always throw the M50 on the Program Plus to sell it but I think I'd get more out of it selling separately after all who wants an M lens on an auto capable body?? I think part of the addiction is the thrill of not knowing until you open the package (or go see them in person) and you see an 50 f/1.2 or a Vivitar Series 1 hanging off the front of it, or any of the many desirable lenses. By the way he's selling the kit for $150, SMC 135 somethingorother (promably M series), gemini zoom, and two unknown Pentax standard primes with the Black KX and MX 'all in good condition'.

Thanks,
Chris
10-14-2011, 07:33 PM   #14
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cbova Quote
Thanks for the replies. My name is Chris, I have LBA.
The first step to recovery is admitting you have a problem.

QuoteOriginally posted by cbova Quote
I'm going to have a hard time NOT shooting at least a roll through it.
Be careful. That's how it started for me. I bought a P3 that came as a "body cap" on a lens I wanted. I "upgraded" my P3 to a black KX and now the K-r is gathering dust in my closet. Film can be addictive.

Have fun with your new lenses and gear, Chris. And once you shoot a roll of film, post some of the shots here.

-rob
10-14-2011, 10:19 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote

Steve
Beauty Steve! My original and still my favorite Pentax film kit.

Phil.

QuoteOriginally posted by Baard-Einar Quote

That’s the dumbest eBay ad that I have ever seen!

Phil