Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-02-2011, 05:12 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Film camera prices up?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Has anyone else noticed that some film camera prices have doubled in the last two years?
Film camera prices in general seem to be on the rise and rising.

11-02-2011, 05:47 AM   #2
Veteran Member

yes, some price tend to rise like the ME and ME Super or the Penax SuperA/SuperProgram.

However, you can find some very nice deal from times to times.
11-02-2011, 05:54 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
some never really got cheap like the LX.
I have noticed a rise in MX prices as well.
Really though i think it depends on condition. I'd happily pay more for an MX that has had a good CLA and I know will be reliable than pay big money for one someone found in grampa's closet and decided to sell after he passed away
11-02-2011, 05:55 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The Nikon F5 has jumpped from ~$300 to~$600!
My K2 is worth twice what I paid for it also.
I'm encouraged. Maybe not as many cameras will get recycled into soup cans and more will be recycled into taking pictures!

11-02-2011, 06:11 AM   #5
Veteran Member

the F5 has always held value pretty well (I'd rather have an F5 than an F6 I think it's the best film camera ever made) given what they sold for new 600 is still pretty cheap. and F6's are still made and sell for $2500 (so about the same price as a d700)

edit - some of the bodies fleabay people try and pass off as 'minty' deserve the soup can treatment

EDIT 2 ; a quick peak at ebay shows a huge disparity in f 5 prices but this looks to be a good buy a CLA'd one for 367

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Nikon-F5-Professional-SLR-Camera-CLAd-new-Light-Seals...item336da682b7
11-02-2011, 06:22 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Interesting. What's the reason? Collector's item?
11-02-2011, 09:14 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

For Pentax, some of these older camera come with some decent glass atached, making them worth just a few extra $$$$$$$$$$$. Cliff

11-02-2011, 01:03 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have noted an upwards trend in the film SLR market as a whole, but there are still deals out there. It's a matter of finding what's hot (for selling) and what's not (for buying). For example, M series bodies seem to be climbing a bit, but cameras like the P3N can still be found for dirt cheap. I'd take a P3N over an ME Super any day of the week, too...but that's just me.
11-02-2011, 01:18 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
............but this looks to be a good buy a CLA'd one for 367

Nikon F5 Professional SLR Camera CLA'd new Light Seals | eBay
$399 and rising! 4 days to go too! We'll see what she goes for.

The F5 is pretty much an icon press camera. Like the Graflex.

As for film cameras getting expensive, I wonder if there are more and more lurkers in the "film only" forums catching the bug!
I dusted off my OneStep 600 the other day. The Impossible Project has the Spectra, X70, 600 and the 100 systems covered now. Who would have thunk it...In less then two years....for $20-$30 per 8 shot pack!

I think I'm going to snap up some darkroom equipment while it's still on the cheap.
That'll be the next cool thing. Developing your own film!....
11-02-2011, 03:00 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Gashog Quote
$399 and rising!
That'll be the next cool thing. Developing your own film!....

Huh you mean it's not a cool thing, damn no wonder those pickup lines about wanna see my darkroom never seem too work
11-02-2011, 07:08 PM   #11

Yes I've noticed film gear prices have gone up. And it's a bad time for me to be getting back into film.
11-02-2011, 07:21 PM   #12

This doesn't really surprise me. I was talking to the guy who repairs my cameras and he said that in the last year the number of film (or older as he put it) cameras that people have been bringing him has really been on the up swing. From the people I speak to I think that people are coming back into to film, at least for hobby photography.
11-02-2011, 07:56 PM   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Simian Summit Quote
From the people I speak to I think that people are coming back into to film, at least for hobby photography.
Here in the Portland/Vancouver area, film is not only a hobby medium, but is also hot on the art scene and with high-end professionals. The top-rung wedding photogs often offer film as an option for additional money.

Steve
11-02-2011, 08:41 PM   #14
Inactive Account

I don't know about the rising prices, but I've found over the last few months that the number of cameras that I couldn't afford years ago. I came up with a mint Super for $12 from the local shop because it wasn't firing reliably. I know that I can send this in and get it CLA'd and have a great reliable camera for well under $100. When I purchased my original ME Super in 1981 it cost me $360.
I'm kinda enjoying this buying as like a well made watch these cameras just need a bit of maintenance and I find I enjoy the mechanics of the camera almost as much as I do the mechanics of photography.
11-03-2011, 01:24 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Here in the Portland/Vancouver area, film is not only a hobby medium, but is also hot on the art scene and with high-end professionals.
QuoteOriginally posted by Simian Summit Quote
I think that people are coming back into to film, at least for hobby photography.
Indeed ! I often go to a photo shop that is 100m from the biggest touristic place, here in France. The shop was almost dead 3 yers ago, when digital really rised up and film really go down.
Now they are healthy and wealthy thanks to film and second hand film gear. they are not very cheap, but on the low side of market price.
i guess that the fact that they are the oly one to sell/rent Leica gear in this area might help a bit