Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-03-2011, 05:52 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
And before that there was Kodak Techpan.

I also miss Agfa RSX & Ultra and Konica Impressa.

I still have a few in the freezer and use them up as I feel like it.

I can't change the headlines and I don't have a crystal ball but what I can do is blow through as many rolls as I can in the meantime

11-03-2011, 06:18 PM   #17
Site Supporter

I ordered some Plus-X from Freestyle (Arista Premium 100, actually) yesterday.

My favorite 100 speed black and white films are now all gone...

Chris
11-03-2011, 06:47 PM   #18
Pentaxian

I almost forgot that I didn't get to try Agfa Scala - b&w slide.

I will still have to try DR5 processing too!
11-03-2011, 07:15 PM   #19
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
I almost forgot that I didn't get to try Agfa Scala - b&w slide.

I will still have to try DR5 processing too!
Fomapan R 100 reversal film was sort of a replacement for Agfa Scala, it too has been discontinued in the 35mm format. It's still available in movie stock.

I have 12 rolls left and yes you need to send it to DR5 Chrome for processing.

Here is a PF link from a few years back:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-film-slr-discussion/57018-fomapan-...rsal-film.html

Phil

11-03-2011, 07:25 PM   #20
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
Fomapan R 100 reversal film was sort of a replacement for Agfa Scala, it too has been discontinued in the 35mm format. It's still available in movie stock.

I have 12 rolls left and yes you need to send it to DR5 Chrome for processing.

Here is a PF link from a few years back:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-film-slr-discussion/57018-fomapan-...rsal-film.html

Phil
Well to my surprise it looks like Fomapan R100 is back at least for awhile, Freestyle has some in stock. Maybe Foma listen to its customers?

Foma Fomapan R100 B&W Reversal Film 35mm x 36 exp. | Freestyle Photographic Supplies

Phil.
11-03-2011, 07:29 PM   #21
Pentaxian

Phil, It seems the first set of examples were not as contrasty as the second set of examples. All from the same film and DR5 processing?
11-03-2011, 08:31 PM   #22
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
i heard that they will stop elitechrome too this year.

11-03-2011, 08:47 PM   #23
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
And before that there was Kodak Techpan.
...and don't forget Panatomic-X. I liked Technical Pan, but loved Panatomic. It was a real pleasure last year when Tuco passed me a couple of rolls. The surge of nostalgia was so strong that I now have several rolls (expired 9/90) in the freezer!

Steve

11-03-2011, 09:03 PM   #24
Site Supporter

Phil, It seems the first set of examples were not as contrasty as the second set of examples. All from the same film and DR5 processing?
I started using darker filters (Orange, Red & Red/Polarizer) with the second batch, so yes good catch. It could also be the scans from the lab (Not Dr5), I did not scan any of them myself. (No scanner yet)

Phil.

Last edited by gofour3; 11-04-2011 at 07:10 AM.
11-04-2011, 01:31 PM   #25
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by fearview Quote
i heard that they will stop elitechrome too this year.
The professional version is E100G. It was reformulated in 2009.

Chris

Last edited by ChrisPlatt; 11-04-2011 at 01:59 PM.
11-04-2011, 02:18 PM   #26
Site Supporter

As long as Kodak keeps Ektachrome E100G I'll be happy, it's a good replacement for Kodachrome.
(At least as good as you can expect, since nothing can really ever replace Kodachrome.)

Phil.

Last edited by gofour3; 11-04-2011 at 04:27 PM.
11-04-2011, 03:04 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
...and don't forget Panatomic-X.
Sadly, Pan X is one I never got around to trying. David Plowden shot it for years, though, and I really the look of his shots. I may have to scrounge up a few rolls on someday. I think the stuff lasts forever.
11-05-2011, 10:19 AM   #28
Veteran Member

I really liked the challenge of shooting Pan-X. It definitely made you slow down and think about your shots, even in full sun conditions. I've had nice luck with Pan F and I've followed the Ilford financial roller coaster ride with interest. The film, paper and chemical group seems to be on stable ground at the moment. I'm disappointed the digital imaging crowd has no idea of what sub-100 ISO means or what low film speeds can offer.

I picked up two rolls of T-Max 100 yesterday. The folks at my local camera shop told me six months ago that the supply of Plus-X would end. I haven't used anything T-Max since probably 1990 so fingers are crossed.
11-06-2011, 07:10 AM   #29

QuoteOriginally posted by B Grace Quote
I'm disappointed the digital imaging crowd has no idea of what sub-100 ISO means or what low film speeds can offer.

I picked up two rolls of T-Max 100 yesterday. The folks at my local camera shop told me six months ago that the supply of Plus-X would end. I haven't used anything T-Max since probably 1990 so fingers are crossed.
I have two Retinas that I want to shoot Pan-X with. Haven't seen it in awhile here. Yesterday I picked up two rolls more of Plus-X at a brick and mortar camera shop I've haunted for 22 years. They had not heard the news of Plus-X, or the two Ektachromes being discontinued.
11-06-2011, 05:18 PM   #30
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
The economy of scale is what is working against them. When you have a factory (in the case of Kodak, several) that are geared to making huge volumes of product, the machinery for doing so is also scaled up. For example, master rolls of film and paper in Kodak's world are some 8 feet wide.
The point being, scaling back production volumes might also mean retooling the machinery to accommodate those lower volumes, which might be a very expensive gamble. Granted, the people who run Kodak are more interested in their shareholders than their customers, but this is the way businesses are run, especially in the USA.
Even an owner of Ilford said that the scale of production was working against Kodak and it would be much more difficult for Kodak to keep going then Ilford or the eastern European companies. I thought I read or heard somewhere that Kodak and Iford have both said that sales of black and white film have stopped dropping and there has been a slight increase the last year or so. Hope it was not wishful thinking. On Kodak's defence they have upted Tmax 400 and have some great new colour films out. I used to shoot mostly Kodak for black and white and Fuji for colour but now it is totally reversed.

Last winter was given a roll of Panatonic X which I have not shoot for two decades so it was nice using it again. I also tried some Super XXX but it was stored in a warm room perhaps since it expired in the mid 60s so was not very good. Still have a dozen rolls 135 and a box of 50 4X5 Technical Pan and developer. Do not miss Plus X which is the film I learnt on nor do I use Tri X much. But as long as there are some good films out there I will use them otherwise I do have a small freezer that does not have to have food in it.