Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-03-2011, 12:04 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Stop down metering on a PZ-1p

I have to say that I 'thought' I knew how to do this but now, I'm not so sure. I recently acquired several older lenses specifically a Pentax M-120mm lens and a Nikkor 24mm converted to K mount lens. Now, both of these function as expected on my DSLR's by use of the green button method of stop down metering (neither has an A setting for the f-stop). When I went to use them on my PZ-1p, the M-120 works just fine when I hit the IF button as it should but the camera will not meter the Nikkor. I haven't tried it yet but I'm assuming the Nikkor which has no contacts and the f-stop lever doesn't connect to the k-mount should be just like an M-42 mount lens. The camera goes into A mode and I should be able to varry the f-stop, hit IF and get a metered adjustment of the shutter speed. Instead, all I get is a flashing indication that there is not enough light, regardless of what the f-stop is. Am I missing something on the PZ-1p?

The manual (no surprise) hasn't been a great source of assistance.

11-03-2011, 12:31 PM - 1 Like   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Pentax film bodies don't have crippled mounts, so they don't need to stop down to be able to detect the aperture ring setting. If the Nikon lens doesn't have the aperture lever which makes this possible, I think you will have to shoot in M mode and use the light meter as you would on a K1000 (although I may be wrong, so someone please correct me if so).

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

11-03-2011, 02:01 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Ah, right you are Adam. My problem was expecting to use the Nikkor in A mode. Shifting to Hyp M mode allowed me to properly use the stop-down metering with the IF button. All is right with the world now. Thanks.