Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-13-2011, 11:39 PM   #1

Help for SF1 repairs Please

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Help! I've been searching for a company that repairs SF1's and has a great reputation. Another photographer had the same problem: The film transfer motor just grinds no movement plus, it just won't work. I know it can be fixed but have searched for months!!! I miss my film SF1 and I prefer it over the digital camera...Thanks, Sue

11-13-2011, 11:51 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Unless you are really emotionally attached to your SF1 it would be a lot cheaper to buy another one, either through ebay or shareasale.com/r.cfm?b=889257&u=523490&m=66875&urllink=keh.com. KEH currently has one for $11 in bargain condition. Pentax Autofocus SF 1 [2CR5/DL223A] 35MM SLR AUTO FOCUS CAMERA BODY - KEH.com
11-13-2011, 11:51 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Can't you just get a new one? Those old cameras are dirt cheap... Pentax SF1 35mm SLR Film Camera with 28-70 mm auto focus zoom lens | eBay

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-14-2011, 12:15 AM   #4

Original Poster
yes, I'm attached with the camera and all of my lenses. there has to be a way to fix that motor.... I'm also wary of ebay. any other ideas? I love that camera, is there really a dslr that functions so seamlessly as did my SF1?

11-14-2011, 12:59 AM   #5

We have a couple of good repairers here in UK, but I doubt it'd be worth the shipping costs. AsahiPhoto and Harrow Technical.

I'm sure you must be able to find somebody in the US who repairs them though.
11-14-2011, 01:10 AM   #6
Veteran Member

You can try contacting Eric, but I don't know if he works on AF Pentax cameras. Home
11-14-2011, 10:28 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
SF1 is the first auto focus Pentax camera if we exclude ME-F. I am sure you can pick up one in your local market for $10-20. I would suggest that you get a PZ-1p which is much better than SF1. If you really want to keep your camera, then try to fix it yourself. Go to radio control toy store to buy screw drivers, 00 and 000 sizes, DuraTrax brand (these are JIS type). The screws are "locked" or glued; they have to be heated with a soldering iron to certain temperature to break the lock. Disassemble the camera to find out what is wrong.

11-14-2011, 11:13 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi Sue
If you are emotionally attached to your camera and don't want to get rid of it go to Eric Hendrickson, Roob-N-Boots above posted the link. He did a very good job on my K20D so he doesn't only work on manual focus cameras. He is relatively inexpensive and does a good job and is usually pretty quick about it too. Highly thought of around here. He's da man.
If you aren't emotionally attached you can pick up one pretty cheaply. If you don't like eek-bay (I don't either) I would suggest either Adorama's used department clicky here or KEH, or click here Both have excellent reputations. I've bought much equipment from both and have never had a problem with a return, just be sure to return it within their "no questions asked" window.

edit: Both KEH and Adorama are conservative in their ratings a "V" from Adorama or "Bargin" from Keh is equivalent to "Like New!!!!" on eek-bay

NaCl(good luck and welcome to the forums)H2O

Last edited by NaClH2O; 11-14-2011 at 11:23 AM.
11-14-2011, 12:35 PM   #9

Original Poster
Thank you, I have emailed Eric, his site is also a breath of fresh air.